Light-O-Rama Forums

Roof is done! Trees are done!

Bob Wingert

Sneak peak at what's up so far. Had to do a test run with animation of course. All I can say is WOW! People already flocking. I can't believe I did this :) ... Thanks for all the help guys!!! More to come tomorrow.

36174_1715837256303_1249378093_1938528_7204819_n.jpg

76020_1715854456733_1249378093_1938544_1161266_n.jpg

TJ Hvasta wrote:

looks nice, like the blue..

Thanks TJ. I've always liked blue myself. To me its soothing. We went all R/W/B this year. Patriotic :)

I was going to start on my superstrings today but just couldnt get motivated.. seeing yours up, will get me moving on it when I get back from tomorrows 4day trip.. I have a couple blue mini icicles still up (yeah, all year) on the highest roof eave.. I'll have to put up the others next week..

Oh u bet! it looks really good. Added 4 arches and 6 mini trees today. up to around 8000. Neighbors keep stopping and gawking. I'm so grateful for the work I've done and everyone's assistance. You guys rock! Pat yourselves on the back :D I know its only 11/7 but I dont care, the lights are dancing to the music...Call me nuts, call me insane...I love this. And besides its 38 degrees, I can pull it off. HO HO HO

I'll be starting with "starting" to getting mine up sometime today (Monday 11/8), currently testing and changing out burned out incandescetn bulbs, will double check the LED strings just to be sure none are out not likely with LED strings, but will check and test to be sure. And have a nifty little Cat5 tester to make sure all my Cat5 cables are still intact from their Halloween usage. That's one tool I wouldn't do without either, Just unplug the cat5 at each end, put one in the main test unit, one in the remote unit, turn on the main one and see at a glance if the cable is wired correctly and functioning properly! Best $3.00 I ever spent including shipping! Just look for a Cat5/Telephone (J11/RJ45) tester on E-Bay if you want to add one to your arsenal. Sure has saved me from using a wrong cabel since I have different variations of Cat5 cable, helps to distinguish a crossover Cat5 from a straight wired one. Like said, best $3.00 I ever invested for an invaluable tool for this hobby!

Anyway back to the Christmas decorations, once all the tests are done and repairs/lights replaced that need them, then time to start stringing the lights, other decorations and then figure out all the controller placements for the Christmas theme. Won't be like my Halloween display, but it looks like it may be as spectacular, if not better than that was... stay tuned for more... Opening in its own thread soon.

I was debating on the Christmas display since I wasn't sure if we'd still be here at this location through Christmas, but it appears we are, so the decor has been pulled out, some already tested and fixed, and the big work will being sometime Monday 11/8/2010 for the Christmas Display.

After the Halloween 2010 display went over so well, all my neighbors are asking when will I be starting on the Christmas Display, looks like they be finding that out later today! LOL

pokrplr wrote:

Oh u bet! it looks really good. Added 4 arches and 6 mini trees today. up to around 8000. Neighbors keep stopping and gawking. I'm so grateful for the work I've done and everyone's assistance. You guys rock! Pat yourselves on the back :( I know its only 11/7 but I dont care, the lights are dancing to the music...Call me nuts, call me insane...I love this. And besides its 38 degrees, I can pull it off. HO HO HO

It's 60 in MN.. sorry just have to gloat. VERY rare to be this warm in Nov.

jjdurrant wrote:

pokrplr wrote:
Oh u bet! it looks really good. Added 4 arches and 6 mini trees today. up to around 8000. Neighbors keep stopping and gawking. I'm so grateful for the work I've done and everyone's assistance. You guys rock! Pat yourselves on the back :( I know its only 11/7 but I dont care, the lights are dancing to the music...Call me nuts, call me insane...I love this. And besides its 38 degrees, I can pull it off. HO HO HO

Warmer in MN than SC think.gif ... We'll be back in the 70's on Wednesday. Saw upper 20's this weekend though @ night. Its more festive to me when its colder, just kinda makes it all come together. I dont think I'd be that festive in a place like Miami.

pokrplr wrote:

jjdurrant wrote:
pokrplr wrote:
Oh u bet! it looks really good. Added 4 arches and 6 mini trees today. up to around 8000. Neighbors keep stopping and gawking. I'm so grateful for the work I've done and everyone's assistance. You guys rock! Pat yourselves on the back :P I know its only 11/7 but I dont care, the lights are dancing to the music...Call me nuts, call me insane...I love this. And besides its 38 degrees, I can pull it off. HO HO HO

Warmer in MN than SC think.gif ... We'll be back in the 70's on Wednesday. Saw upper 20's this weekend though @ night. Its more festive to me when its colder, just kinda makes it all come together. I dont think I'd be that festive in a place like Miami.

After growing up in snow from halloween to easter, I was crazy enough to think I might miss it..

But honestly...hanging lights in 70 degree weather is a lot of fun..

And I haven't started a bit of work outdoors...stuck in the newbie time crunch, along with crazy work travel crunch (I'm out visiting jimswinder again this week..), so it's at least 2 weeks before I'm setting things up.

Here's where we are now: OK camera guys! My 10ft arches are BLUE not White as the picture would lead you to believe. HELP! Having the same issue w/ video. And I went out and bought that expensive camera/recorder too. I need a crash course in videography/photography.

150197_1720326248525_1249378093_1947642_3856060_n.jpg

Take a look @ "TEST" video I did last night:

The arches were white until they started to fade at the very end then I saw the blue.. which is exposure, the photo sensor is being overloaded..

ok, start with exposure settings, my video camera (JVCM50) is one of those pocket flashdrive cameras.. I lowered the exposure (shutter) setting from 1/64 to 1/16 and the video got more defined. Yes, shutter refers to picture (photo) settings but it works with my video camera.

Second thing to try, find the white balance and run it down first, shoot some video and see if it brings the color more in line. True color coming out when the arches fade just means the camera's CCD is being overdriven, lowering the exposure and shutter settings should help.

TJ Hvasta wrote:

The arches were white until they started to fade at the very end then I saw the blue.. which is exposure, the photo sensor is being overloaded..

ok, start with exposure settings, my video camera (JVCM50) is one of those pocket flashdrive cameras.. I lowered the exposure (shutter) setting from 1/64 to 1/16 and the video got more defined. Yes, shutter refers to picture (photo) settings but it works with my video camera.

Second thing to try, find the white balance and run it down first, shoot some video and see if it brings the color more in line. True color coming out when the arches fade just means the camera's CCD is being overdriven, lowering the exposure and shutter settings should help.

I will def give that a try! Thx! I saw the glimpses of blue as well. Whats weird though is the roof lights actually look blue, like they are suposed to.

I saw the roof eaves were blue but the lkights themselves still look white, still looks like an exposure setting.. Pretty sure if you lower the shutter speed/expisure rate and adjust the white balance the true color comes out.

your big arches are blue in this photo!!!! How did you adjust you camera to get the color right? I have a new camera (after 15 years LMAO) and I'm trying to learn how to use it.

this video is of what I have up so far. I know how to solve the issue of the tree looking like it is leaning (get the camera level, I'm such a putz!). I have the camera set to fireworks and no other settings. The Robin Wheel is out of focus to me, and the colors are not right. Other than the suggestions made by TJ what can I try to improve my videos?

Thanks
Bruce