Light-O-Rama Forums

Pole trees

dkoehler42

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Second pix of it..

TJ nice simple and cheap looking Tree Topper. Just what a guys wants, a KISS project. But sir I have only one suggestion. As an electrician I would suggest that short pieces of plastic tubing be installed over the screws. Some of those edges are good and sharp and could cut into the wires. Effectively shorting and blowing fuses either on the strings and or the controllers fuse shutting down half or the whole controller.
But I do like and will keep this in mind when ever I can get around building a mega tree. Thanks for sharing.

If I remember correctly he did not loop the lights around the screws but instead put zip ties at the end of his lights and the zip ties were what went around the screws.

This is my first year trying a Mega Tree. I happened upon an old radio tower and was able to acquire it for my personal use. The whole thing is a grand experiment. I just did not have the time to make the topper I wanted so I wound up just running some rope around the top and using zip ties to attach the light strings.

Maybe next year I will be able to make a real topper.

Attached files 220381=12216-DSCF1366.JPG

thevikester wrote:

Now thats damn funny!

I hope it was meant to be because I just spit water out my nose when I saw the picture. :P That is one W****I****D****E tree there!

• 3 weeks later...

dkoehler42 wrote:

I'm looking for ideas this year, and I was thinking about doing one of those pole/cone trees with the strands coming down. Problem is I don't know their real name and can't find them. If someone knows, or has a good idea, I'm all ears.

They are called 'Mega trees' And you can find some kits here: http://bit.ly/hMQveu but i suggest you build your own. it's mutch cheaper that

way.

-Myles

I also have a radio tower, but the concrete base serves as a duel purpose. The mega tree/tower is lowered into metal tubes/forms in the concete for the holdays and then removed and replaced with a windmill after the holidays. I am also able to climb the tower in the event I need to repair/replace any lights or strands.

First time trying to attach a photo so I hope it works.

Attached files 226070=12487-PB240009.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone use hooks like the one in this picture to attach there lights to the tops of there mega trees? I have no clue who this picture belongs too, but I need to know how the light strings are attached to the hooks, and what kind of hooks are they? Are they the cheap key chain ones? Or the heavy duty ones used for climbing?

Attached files 231024=12673-100_0758big.jpg

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Does anyone use hooks like the one in this picture to attach there lights to the tops of there mega trees? I have no clue who this picture belongs too, but I need to know how the light strings are attached to the hooks, and what kind of hooks are they? Are they the cheap key chain ones? Or the heavy duty ones used for climbing?

They are called Carabiners or simply D-Rings. These look like cheap key chain ones you could buy from wal-mart that say "Not For Climbing". It looks like they took some cheap solid strand wire and bent it around the D-ring, then twisted it around the lights to hold them. I'm not sure why they didn't just feed the lights threw the D-Rings. Maybe the rungs on the antenna tower were a little too high and they needed the few extra inches.

Nurples wrote:

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

They are called Carabiners or simply D-Rings. These look like cheap key chain ones you could buy from wal-mart that say "Not For Climbing". It looks like they took some cheap solid strand wire and bent it around the D-ring, then twisted it around the lights to hold them. I'm not sure why they didn't just feed the lights threw the D-Rings. Maybe the rungs on the antenna tower were a little too high and they needed the few extra inches.

Thanks, I was asking because I knew those cheap "not for climbing" ones have no weight limit. So I did not want to use them to find out the hard way, when it came crashing down in the middle of the winter. But Thanks.

mmais68569 wrote:
I use the header hook in the link below. He has others so you can get what you want .
Mike

http://christmaslightshow.com/product.php?productid=251&cat=25&page=1

I DO use that one. But I'm going to go with the hooks, so its easy to put them on, and remove them when needed.