Light-O-Rama Forums

1.2 second audio delay in Windows7

Tim_L

I upgraded my machine over the summer to one running Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit.
It has all of the latest drivers installed.

LOR 2.8.12

I have a 1.2 second audio sound delay in both wav and m3 files. The computer is playing it and LOR is seeing the audio being played it's just that for some reason the sound does start being audible until 1.2 seconds into the song.

This even occurs if I go to Windows Explorer and click on one of the above files to play. It does not become audible until 1.2 seconds into the song.

Does anyone have any clues on this?

Hardware is as follows:
I7-960 Quadcore 8MB L3 Cache, 3,2GHZ processor
8GB's of DDR3 1066MHZ RAM
ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB GDDR5 video card
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium sound card
connected via Optical Cable to
Logitech Z-5500 505 Watts 5.1 Digital Speaker System

Some additional info. This seems to be an issue in mediaplayer.
When playing songs on iTunes, they are audible from the beginning of the song.

Thank you in advance for any help!
Tim

This even occurs if I go to Windows Explorer and click on one of the above files to play.

I just want to make sure that I understand this: You mean that you click on one of the MP3 or WAV files, to play it directly in Windows Media Player, right? Without LOR involved at all?

My first suggestion in a case like this would normally be "reinstall the latest version of Windows Media Player, even if you already have the latest version installed". But I think it's a built-in part of Windows 7, and can't be manually installed. So:

You might want to try the suggestion in this thread:

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum90/19966.html

I know it's not the same symptom, and I know it says "Vista"; I'm just suggesting it as a shot in the dark that could conceivably help.

Also, perhaps try getting your whole computer up to date with Windows Update; perhaps that will have some effect upon the WMP installation.

Please note that Windows Update does not necessarily list all updates that you don't have; it only lists those that you don't have which you can currently install. So, if there are three updates you don't have, but two of them depend upon the other, it will only list the one. After you install that one, it will list the other two.

So, whenever I use Windows Update, after it has installed everything that it listed (and after I have rebooted, if it told me to), the first thing I always do is immediately go back into Windows Update again, and tell it to install everything that it lists. I keep doing this over and over, until it finally says that there are no available updates.

Wow....Believe it or not, connecting the front, rear and sub cables from the sound card to the speakers and switching to direct rather then optical cleared the issue.

Glad that I tried that before I was about to starting reinstalling drivers. :?

Thank you for your help Bob!

Tim