Light-O-Rama Forums

Air tight connector for CCR ribbon?

WayneKremer

I'm putting together 2 CCR controllers and power supplies into one 6"x6"x4" junction box. I already have the power and RJ45 connectors setup, but the CCR ribbon cable has no simple way of being brought into the enclosure with it being air-tight. It would be nice if we could plug something into the outside of the enclosure and have it continue on into the CCR controller itself.

Any suggestions? Thx!

Wayne

Attached files 217935=12118-CCR ribbon.jpg

Mike, I'm thinking of something very similar to what you suggested. I actually plan on using trailer hookup connectors (for outside use). The wires will go through a small electrical elbow with the trailer connector hanging out of it. I'll then fill in the interior of the elbow with silicone. It should then be as simple as plugging everything in externally to the enclosure itself.

My only concern would be if the trailer electrical connectors interfering with the ribbon communications.

That's a good idea - eliminate the threading & caulking every season.

If we ID the part number of the CCR (what I assume are Molex) connectors and get a male and female you could stay consistent across the devices and create plug-n-play dongles that would avoid needing to modify the connectors on the ribbons.

Funny thing is I'm using the exact same box for mine. I'm going to u-bolt it the the mega tree pole and come in through the bottom. The bottom shouldn't need to be water tight if I use a drip loop.

Well, I took the plunge and spliced in a trailer connector. Then I did a bunch of testing on the CCR and it works perfectly. In the process, I also removed about 2 feet of the white ribbon cable since it would have been too long for my setup.

The most important part was tracing and labeling the wires on all ends prior to any cuts. Trust me....I had to think 3 times prior to making the cut. After that, I soldered the wires together and sealed them with heat shrink tubing (layed). Here is what the ribbon ended up looking like....

Attached files 218085=12123-CCR Trailer connection.jpg

Steven, you got that right! Actually, I got the idea after doing a search on PC for molex connectors. I originally was looking at using molex connectors, but found that they corrode and disconnect easily outdoors. Many were recommending the trailer connectors instead since they don't corrode and have some weatherproofing built into them.

They were using them as a substitute for extension cords and I thought, why couldn't they be used for CCR extensions?

• The topic was locked