Light-O-Rama Forums

BEST PLACE FOR SNOWFLAKES FOR ROOF?

mdickenson

ive been looking around for the best place/store to purchase larger snowflakes to put on the roof....looking for 15" and larger....any input would be greatly appreciated....wanting to link them to channels on the ground for a duel effect....mike

Biglots actually has 15" LED snowflakes. Lowe's had 15" as well

I just purchased from Target.com, they were 42" LED.

thats a good price,hadnt though of target yet...found 15 led on ebay for 10.00.....hows 7-42 " leds and 20-15" led snowflakes on the lor controller on the roof?...adding a 20 ft mega tree also this year ....3-75watt chavet strobes....always put between 35k-50k in lights....32 channels of lor on a 300watt pa system for sound......

Being from Alberta that question made me scratch my head!

Best place for lighted snow flakes would be on the side of the house!

PaulXmas wrote:

EH?

PaulXmas wrote:

What in tar nation would you want to put them on the side of the house. LOL!!!! As some of us further down south dont have the snow problems you all do up north. Well we do get some snow in some of the years.

pokrplr wrote:

PaulXmas wrote:

EH?

My roof is covered in snow durning the winter so nothing goes on it, thats why I said the side of the house. (should have said front of the house duh)

pokrplr wrote:

Biglots actually has 15" LED snowflakes. Lowe's had 15" as well

I just purchased from Target.com, they were 42" LED.

I just checked the BigLots site. $12 for 140 count, 18' blue icicle lights!!! Man, the prices of LED's is really dropping!!! WalMart has 70 count at 10' for $10...Glad I read this post first!!!

mdickenson wrote:

my targets out here havent put out all of the xmas stuff yet,cant find the led star...on line...want to see in store....

Here's the link: http://www.target.com/Outdoor-Decor-Philips-Twinkle-Snowflake/dp/B001TI1XWQ/ref=sr_1_61?ie=UTF8&id=Outdoor%20Decor%20Philips%20Twinkle%20Snowflake&node=1038576%7C1287991011&searchView=grid5&searchSize=90&keywords=led%20christmas%20lights&searchPage=2&searchNodeID=1038576%7C1287991011&sr=1-61&searchBinNameList=subjectbin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchRank=target104545&frombrowse=0&qid=1288784709

Its an online only item:

I lit it up last night because the description says "twinkling" ... Now on at 100% it will twinkle, while its ramping, shimmering whatever it does not twinkle. Thats good for me! It looks really nice. Fades like a champ too. Image below:

snowflake.jpg

Here's what we did with the 42" LED Snowflake from target. Last year we had it flat on the roof but the snow covered it. This year, we mounted it to 1" PVC pipe (grade 40) by drilling two holes in the PVC pipe and attaching the snowlflake to it with zip ties. We then pulled out the old satellite dish that we weren't using and inserted the PVC pipe wher ethe satellite dish used to be mounted. It survived the 60 mph winds we had a week or so ago.

We also used book shelf brackets and mounted 10" LED snowflakes to them with zip ties and pushed the shelf brackets under the shingles. Those survived the 60 MPH winds too. I can take pictures tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Attached files 219345=12176-Big Snowflake resized.jpg

I have 2 of the target snowflakes, I hang them on my siding. They are pretty nice. I was at Target this past weekend and they had them in stock at the store.

Linda thanks for the idea witht he book shelf brackets. I have about 6 snowflakes I intend to lay on my roof. That idea you gave me might work.

I had these brackets in my shed where my dh was supposed to hang shelves a couple of years ago. My dh was very skeptical about doing this, but I bugged him enough times that he finally got on the roof and tried it. He was out there checking those snowflakes every hour for three days during the big wind storm that produced category 3 hurricane winds a week or so ago. We lost a huge tree in the park in back of us, but those snowflakes didn't move.

They work great because they already have holes in them for the zip ties to go through. I think they are pretty inexpensive, probably less than $2.00 a piece. They look so much better than laying flat on the roof.

Attached files 219371=12177-Brackets.png

Hi Linda, Sure do wish you all had take a few pictures how your DH mounted the bracket to the roof. Did he screw them into the roof? I agree, standing up would make them look so much better.

Thanks

I'll take pictures tomorrow and post. I'll send him up with the camera. We missed plugging one in when we re-wired today once our LOR arrived.

We pushed them under the shingles. Like I said, they didn't even move when we had 60 mph wind.

Linda McDonald wrote:

I'll take pictures tomorrow and post. I'll send him up with the camera. We missed plugging one in when we re-wired today once our LOR arrived.

We pushed them under the shingles. Like I said, they didn't even move when we had 60 mph wind.

Surprise, Surprise...Something showed up today @ my door that I FORGOT i ordered. Its a 60" LED Snowflake. YES 60" This thing is a monster, well these (2) things. What was I thinking???? Now that I have them, do you think your bracket would withstand these?? They are quite heavy. I'd say 12-14 lbs each. Had NO idea, they sure did look smaller in the picture. Commercial one's that you see mounted to a telephone pole or something similiar.

In case I never post here again, its cause the wife found out, took my behind the house and buried me. :D

60" snowflakes... that's about as tall as I am!!! I've snuck some stuff past my DH, but I'm not sure I could get those by him.

I don't think those brackets would hold a 60" snowflake. We have a 42" snowflake that we mounted to our old satellite dish bracket, if I thought I could use bookshelf brackets to mount it, I would have tried it (well, I would have made him try it).

BTW, your display is looking great, I like the additions of the candy canes.

pokrplr wrote:

In case I never post here again, its cause the wife found out, took my behind the house and buried me. :D

So will we see all your controllers on ebay anytime soon?..or did she at least bury your controllers with you?...:P:D:D