Light-O-Rama Forums

fm transmitter

jjd35

I am new this year to the lor. I borrowed a transmitter from a radio station friend of mine it is a drive buy fm transmitter he said it is a older model but works fine. My question is I hooked it up and it broadcasts but I dont think it sounds that great there is static between songs and the music doesnt sound as crisp, is this typical of the transmitters or are the newer ones the sound quality much better?

Your friend gave you a poj to play with. There are several units that are preferred here on this forum. EDM, Ramsey, and Mobile Black Box V4000. Look around there are several threads about FM transmitters.

jjd35 wrote:

I am new this year to the lor.

Your transmitter problems could be interference from many sources, could be a poor antenna, cheap transmitter, could be fiddle sticks and turkey twattles... who knows? Max is right - check the various threads.

Where abouts in Buffalo are 'ya? I'd be interested in driving by and checking out your display some night.

I am just off of hwy 25 south of town. Im not sure how the display will be I still have a lot to do between work, fall cleanup and this I think I need more time I usually light up on thanksgiving. Not sure this year did not allow myself enough time for building mega tree, controllers, sequences, planning thought i had the fm transmitter taken care of lol.

This not a hobby for the faint of heart or tight of wallet. There are ways to skimp but I would say that most here would agree that good sound transmission is not one of them. I got as many good comments last year about the quality sound as I did the animations. I am a MBB 400 BTW and really love it. It's not to late to buy a good transmitter.

Max-Paul wrote:

I think my friend Jim meant to say MBB 4000.

Your so right. Thanks for correcting me. I would have hated to send a newbie on a wild goose chase looking for a MBB 400 based on my glowing recommendation.

You might also want to check to frequency options - I had to play around with the different available frequencies in Waconia to find one with the least interference... I then actually upgraded transmitter (for me it was old Ramsey to a new EDM) and crystal clear. The website I used to find frequencies: http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/vacant

good luck! Are you the first one in Buffalo using animation? Always fun to try and get to the local displays!
bob

I believe I am the first I havnt seen anyone else doing this. I ve decorated for years and have had people tell me they enjoy my lights cant wait for the surprise this year.

Hi there, I just posted on another FM transmitter (newbie site) but was asking about the FM transmitters. I have read posts but a lot of them seem to be re: older fm transmitter options. I noticed Jim, you had the mbb 4000. I was looking at that or what looked like their newer version the E6000 or the wholehouse tranmitter 2.0 I think that is recommended by LOR. Do you guys have any good recommendations on what I should be focused on when purchasing an fm transmitter? It sounds like an antennae is required for one of these and that I may really need to find the right location to place it for the best frequency.

I'll take any advice you guys may have as I know I need to get it ordered soon.

thanks,

T

4hoogies wrote:

Hi there, I just posted on another FM transmitter (newbie site) but was asking about the FM transmitters. I have read posts but a lot of them seem to be re: older FM transmitter options. I noticed Jim, you had the mbb 4000. I was looking at that or what looked like their newer version the E6000 or the wholehouse tranmitter 2.0 I think that is recommended by LOR. Do you guys have any good recommendations on what I should be focused on when purchasing an FM transmitter? It sounds like an antennae is required for one of these and that I may really need to find the right location to place it for the best frequency.

I'll take any advice you guys may have as I know I need to get it ordered soon.

thanks,

T

I know that LOR sells and recommends the Whole House unit, but I think its fair to say that it gets mixed reviews. Suggest that you search for posts and read them. I think there are several very good kit transmitters available, but I didn't go that direction; A) because I am an impatient person looking for instant gratification, ;) I would want to build it in one setting, and C) I can't detail solder to save my life. I read every review of the pre-built transmitters I could find and finally settled on Mobile Black Box 4000. I haven't regretted it one bit. First of all, it broadcasts in stereo (many do not), it is easy to setup and it has plenty of power, in fact almost too much. I keep the antenna fully retracted and get a city block in all directions. It transmits on ALL FM frequencies. I could be wrong but I think there are some that only transmit on a select number of preselected frequencies. Another plus with MBB is that I have sent their tech support several question, just to ease my mind on a couple of issues, and they always responded within a few hours. Thats always a plus in my book.

There seems to be a lot of loyalty in transmitters, and unfortunately, they are expensive enough that you don't want to buy the wrong one, so it's good to be getting opinions and weigh against your particular needs.

I just looked at the Mobile Black Box website and after reading the fine print noticed that the 6000 model does NOT transmit in stereo. Personally, thats a deal breaker for me.

MBB has a product comparison page so you can check out features side by side.

jim6918 wrote:

I know that LOR sells and recommends the Whole House unit, but I think its fair to say that it gets mixed reviews. Suggest that you search for posts and read them. I think there are several very good kit transmitters available, but I didn't go that direction;

I think that the Whole House transmitter is sold because this complies with the "FCC part 15" legislation for low-power licence free fm transmitters. The kits have proved popular, as it is a method for the supplier not having to comply with the "part 15" legislation, as they are not selling a working transmitter. However, this route may not result in a legal fm transmitter.

Regards,

Alan.

Alan C wrote:

jim6918 wrote:
I know that LOR sells and recommends the Whole House unit, but I think its fair to say that it gets mixed reviews. Suggest that you search for posts and read them. I think there are several very good kit transmitters available, but I didn't go that direction;

I think that the Whole House transmitter is sold because this complies with the "FCC part 15" legislation for low-power licence free fm transmitters. The kits have proved popular, as it is a method for the supplier not having to comply with the "part 15" legislation, as they are not selling a working transmitter. However, this route may not result in a legal fm transmitter.

Regards,

Alan.

I didn't realize that LOR was going to make me a criminal. LOL

First I am liable to the entire music industry for failure to pay royalties on the music in my sequences, and now the dreaded Part 15.

Now I know I should have never torn those tags off the pillows. I am a three time loser. Leavenworth for me.

Seriously, I know what you are saying. I live in a small town and hoping that my transmitter doesn't interfere with anybody else. I know already it doesn't cause any problems for the two radio stations in town.

edm transmitter is on its way, does the test antenna work and is it ok to use or should i research building a tru match antenna. i checked the radio station locator and i have about 5 to choose from. thanks

I bought this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270645841266

It was fast shipping, worked out of the box, using the cheapo antenna that comes with it, I get about 3 blocks. No static, works great.

Someone else mentioned it in one of the forums and I am happy with it. It is my first year, so if I have any problems, I will surely let everyone know.

Paul

I to purchased one on ebay I know its not what everyone has recommended but it was in the US and I could get it in time. So far it seems fine they told me it would broadcast 300ft but I could still hear it 2 blocks from my house it wasnt clear but when you get to my block it clears up. It sounds better then my free one. Here is the link if anyone is interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/0-5W-FM-Stereo-Transmitter-PLL-Audio-LCD-Antenna-/300484162336

^^

Yep, thats the same one I bought, but in a silver case (like it mattered what color it was) from a seller in China. He had a Buy It Now of $55 or Make Offer, I offered $40, and he accepted (Thanks Priceline Negotiator! :D came to $50 with shipping. Got it a week after I ordered (early Oct). I get a solid long city block with full quieting (no static) or abt 3 blocks with abt 70% quieting (some static). Thats on the included antenna downstairs (split level) in the middle of the house. Putting it by the front window or even upstairs should give me at least another block of full quieting with no other mods. I could bust it open and see if there's a point to add RDS, but maybe next year.