Light-O-Rama Forums

Halloween 2010 Videos

CLD Kevin

evandewindt wrote:

Kevin, thats amazing! where do you live in riverside? i gotta check your display out! I got a lot of inspiration from your 2009 videos for my first halloween display this year. I live in Lake Elsinore, hopefully not to far from ya...

Evan

I actually dont live from from Elsinore. I'm about 30 mins from you. I reside in South/East Riverside off the 215 west of March Air Base.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CLD Kevin

• Austen

• boborino

• Thejones

I don’t know why I didn’t notice this before….can someone please tell me why would some of the lights are not following exactly what I had sequence? Like strobes would come on when that cell is completely off. Or I had the lights in the pumpkins flash on and off at 20%, but they would stay on solid at 100%. And it’s not just real quick. It would stay on for 5 secs long. Its just a few little things, but it’s just not following the sequence exactly as I programmed it. Firmware is original for 3 years ago. 4.01 & 4.02. Could that have anything to do with it?

Also, word of caution. My floods I bought from Minionweb. They claim to be dimmable. I never tested before I set them up. I just made sure they worked. None of them dim. Either it’s on or off. Last night I tested with a “snubber” and they dim a little bit, but for a maix time of 3 secs. So if you do a long fade in or out ….they stay on at 100% until you get down to about 20% and start to fade, and then complete shuts off at 10%. So I did another test from 20% to 10% for 6 secs and the fade lasted longer, but tend to shimmer. Not smooth at all. That was with Blue. Red and Orange act different and fade at different percent. They are great quality LED floods, but very disappointed on their claims. I guess next year I need to look at using something else.

Cracker wrote:

evandewindt wrote:

Kevin, thats amazing! where do you live in riverside? i gotta check your display out! I got a lot of inspiration from your 2009 videos for my first halloween display this year. I live in Lake Elsinore, hopefully not to far from ya...

Evan

I actually dont live from from Elsinore. I'm about 30 mins from you. I reside in South/East Riverside off the 215 west of March Air Base.

Oh ya thats not far at all, totally worth the drive! do you think you can PM me your address?

Thanks!

Kevin, you should really look into geting a couple of Greg Renna's (www.christmasonmanor.com) Rainbow Floods and Spots. I have 5 Floods and 5 Spots, I LOVE them! You can not beat the price. The green and blue are like Phoenix Sun bright, the red, not as much but thats just the nature of red LEDs. I'm going to order 5 more of each and replace all my landscape lights with these. 16.7million (ok, really abt 384,000) colors available depending on the brightness of each of the RGB LEDs. They can be powered directly from 12vDC, into each separate color, or use a DC controller to mix for any color you want.

Here's an example of how bright these are.. This is just 3 Floods washing the front of the house, there are 3 Rainbow Spots on the bushes there in front also, mind you, there's a mercury street lamp at the corner of my yard. The white circles are the RFloods..

For enclosures, most here go to HD or Lowes for the 250w halogen shop lights ($7-$8), gut them and glue the board into the case..

Attached files 217313=12096-PIC_0041 (RainbowFloods).jp

Kevin,

A friend of mine had a similar issue with channels doing something weird. After looking for a while, we found that one of his channels way down on his sequence (he has over 100 channels) was set to the same channel by mistake. I think the LOR verifier can check that.

Second to that, could be an issue with the neutral line getting lifted somewhere and your lights are getting grounded by lights on another channel.

Cracker wrote

camera is Canon Vixia HF11. Nice little HD camera.

Kevin, what settings did you use on your Canon to shoot your video? Excellent all the way around.

Tim Dorr wrote:

Cracker wrote

Kevin, what settings did you use on your Canon to shoot your video? Excellent all the way around.

I followed these settings....

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php/29673-Hi-Def-Video-using-best-camcorder-settings-for-night-61-000-Lights-Rudolph-DVD-Menu

boborino wrote:

Kevin,

A friend of mine had a similar issue with channels doing something weird. After looking for a while, we found that one of his channels way down on his sequence (he has over 100 channels) was set to the same channel by mistake. I think the LOR verifier can check that.

Second to that, could be an issue with the neutral line getting lifted somewhere and your lights are getting grounded by lights on another channel.

I found more problems so posted a question in the General questions area.

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=23708&forum_id=25

Cracker wrote:

Tim Dorr wrote:
Cracker wrote

I followed these settings....

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php/29673-Hi-Def-Video-using-best-camcorder-settings-for-night-61-000-Lights-Rudolph-DVD-Menu

Thanks Kevin. I've used Jeff's settings also, but just want to see if you had tweaked them.

Cracker wrote:

..................This year may (just may) be the last for this type of show. ................................. NO MORE LADDERS!

This would be a great loss to the creativity of the community. There are a number of very innovative individuals that push us all forward and upward (yourself included). For those of us (myself included) that have some, limited talent but are not as good at conceptualizing new innovations, we look to you to break the ice for us.

well, finally got everything edited down but still the video quality is lacking...guess I better put in for a HD camcorder to Santa!! My digital camera that shoots videos gets better video than my camcorder does:( Once all the halloween'ers get done tonite, will try and shoot video with the cheapo digital camera and see what happens. There are strobes going on everywhere in this sequence and don't think the camera got even one.....

http://www.vimeo.com/16340483

I dont know what I got myself into by posting the videos on youtube! I've always done it before and no bid deal. But today my views went from 1,500 to 60,000...its on a bunch of websites and now I'm getting PM's (through youtube) from local TV stations and NHK (Japan Broadcasting) wants to introduce my video as one of the interesting video from foreign countries.

What the **** happen?? :shock:

Cracker wrote:

I dont know what I got myself into by posting the videos on youtube! I've always done it before and no bid deal. But today my views went from 1,500 to 60,000...its on a bunch of websites and now I'm getting PM's (through youtube) from local TV stations and NHK (Japan Broadcasting) wants to introduce my video as one of the interesting video from foreign countries.

Wow!

Cracker wrote:

Well thriller has gone over well over 100,000!

Halloween was great....and thankfully nothing broke!!

We got about 2000 kids...not including their parents....went through 20 extra large bags of candy and lots of nice comments. Even the police stop by to say hi :P

I took some pictures and video of the craziness around my house and dancing in the streets blocking traffic. I'll post it later...night now I need a beer and a long nap!!

Tomorrow....start breaking down :(

jerrymac wrote:

Well thriller has gone over well over 100,000!

Its now at 250,000....unbelievable!!