Light-O-Rama Forums

powered 120v shut off

shredocaaster

I'm looking (if it exists) for something that would go in between the lights and the outlet that would be "normally open" but turns off when a signal (such as an "on" signal from a lor) is sent. Anything?

Relay!

But you have to make sure you don't "dim" the relay.

I used one last year to flash about 30AMPS of lights using one channel.

Hello fellow Christmas light guy... I'm in St. Albert! Is there a relay you would suggest?

Could you explain just what it is that you are wanting to do. Just what do you want to control? I dont want to suggest a relay that is way bigger and expensive. Yet dont what to suggest one that is to small. So what kind of load are you going to put on this relay.

BTW you want a relay that is normally open then closes when you apply power. What you described, you stated a double negative.

shredocaaster wrote:

Hello fellow Christmas light guy... I'm in St. Albert! Is there a relay you would suggest?

I think I got mine from here :

Westburne Edmonton North
780-452-3131

10640 184 St NW, Edmonton, AB, T5S0B2

Tell them what you want.
I wanted 120 volts to control 2 curcuits.
You can wire it so when voltage is applied it opens (turn off) or closes (turn on) the curcuits. I had it turn off the curcuit when the channel was turned on.

They do make a click each time they are charged.
I also had a set of lights connected to the curcuit (didn't have a snubber) because I read somewhere it is needed for the controllers.

Max-Paul wrote:

Could you explain just what it is that you are wanting to do. Just what do you want to control? I dont want to suggest a relay that is way bigger and expensive. Yet dont what to suggest one that is to small. So what kind of load are you going to put on this relay.

BTW you want a relay that is normally open then closes when you apply power. What you described, you stated a double negative.

I think he wants to turn on the curcuit when the channel is on.

I had mine the other way, all my lights were on except when the channel was turned on (FULL ON never did any dimming on this channel)

To clarify - im looking to shut off the power to the lights when my LOR box sends an "on" signal.

Do not do : Just wire up a relay to short the circuit and blow the breaker...... sure its a little excessive, stupid, and dangerous (if your breaker doesn't work... house fire!)....

But it'll be a hell of a lightshow!

Hmmmm... you first.

:P

Its probably easier to just run an extension cord to his home and offer to pay for his whole 2 strands of lighting for a month.

Ok, sounds like you want something to work like Paul's does.

Ok, then you want to run a power cord to the outlet and go into a weather proof box and the black lead going to one contact that is closed to another contact that is the other half of the closed contact. Then out to the outlet that the light will be plugged into. You will also run the white and green lead through to the outlet.

Now run a neutral and a lead from one of your outputs from the LOR controller over to the coil input of the relay. I highly suggest that you get a 130V MOV and also install this across the relay coil. This will help protect the Triac from the CEMF spike off of the relay coil when you turn it off.

Now Add up the wattage of the lamps that will be controlled. Divide this wattage by 120 and you will know the current that you want to control. I would add a couple amps to this number and then look for a relay that can control this amount of current.

When I was wiring mine I used extension cords.

When I tested I used a power bar that I could turn off if things went bad.

I have a very heathy respect for electricity and take lots of percautions.

In the end it was easy!

I don't get the short the breaker post by Nova5

PaulXmas wrote:

I don't get the short the breaker post by Nova5

Not very smart attempt at humor I would suspect. I think that anytime someone makes any kind of suggestion that is not safe and thinks they are being funny. That person does not realize that a person who has no clue will not understand the danger of the joke and could get hurt. Nova5, what if the op did as you suggested and he got hurt or caused a electrical fire and burnt down their house. I hope you understand you more than likely will be held responsible.

Why the hell do you think i prefaced it with DO NOT DO. bold, italic, and underlined? I expect people are generally intelligent enough to figure out that i would be a bad idea when i explained what would happen as a result if something went a bit wrong. And the chance of me being held responsible is about the same as you telling someone to "Go jump off a bridge" or similar to get across the point you want them out of your face. Just because they go and do it doesn't mean its your fault. It means they are an idiot.

In this sue happy society I would not chance any humor. Although I am for the Darwin award and cleaning out of the gene pool. Ya, just never know who will not pay attention to your so called warnings. and Grieving relatives see dollar signs floating before their eyes. Provided by ambulance chaser type lawyers.

I just read this post and I cant believe I am reading this.....GOOD LORD!!!!

All I have to say is just keep in mind that not everyone who does this hobby is an expert in electricity, and yes there are those who will take all suggestions serious.

Yes use a relay to do what you are trying. You would wire your light string or whatever your trying to control in series with NC (normally closed) contacts of the relay.

SO when the LOR channel is on, your lights are off and visa-versa

Okay...

I had to go back to read this after reading the last post... No harm done but we do need to be careful. Something that is obviously absurd to one person may not be to another.

Dozens of times people have asked if our controllers will make a standard string of mini light chase, people have used the phone jack to connect the controllers to their (live) phone wall jacks, people have asked if the PC supplies the power on the cat5 cable to power the lights, a person has plugged the two power plugs into two of the power receptacles (on the same controller) and wondered why the status LED was not on. They though as long as the channels were on in the sequence they would be okay....

This is a very short list of the things that people have really done!

Dan