Light-O-Rama Forums

MiniDirector new Firmware problem

pyrodigy

lightzilla wrote:

bisquit476 wrote: Is everyone using the hardware utility to try updating the firmware because I have 2 of the mini directors which I updated to the mDC_MP3_V4-10.lhx file with no problems. If you are downloading the hex file off of the website, there may be a corruption thing going on somehow. I can't remember if I got the software off the firmware announcement

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum55/22258.html

or out of the 2.8.12 S2 software, but mine loads with no problem. I've attached the hex file, hope it helps,

Bill
Attachment: mDC_MP3_V4-10.zip (Downloaded 3 times)

That worked (downloaded). Thank You

Did some testing and it works

That's not the file I or others(I believe) are having the issue with.

The one we have problems with is the latest one, which is 4-20. When I upgraded from 4-10 to 4-20, that's when the MP3 Director became unusable and crashed due to the 4_20 firmware crashes with an error message that just about everyone here has received trying to upgrade to that version.

Once that happened to me (MP3 Director stopped working) I had no issue with getting the 4-10 file and reloading to restore my MP3 director back to working properly.

Firmware update 4-20 is the problem child here.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pyrodigy

• bisquit476

• LightORamaDan

• Don

Yes, my problem is with the Showtime Director DC_MP3_v4-20 firmware upgrade. I'm wondering if the v4-20 firmware upgrade might be for the MINI instead. Had same experience as Orville did with all the garbage info after failure. Again v4-10 load went perfect and got the unit back running.

Another problem is that folks may be confused between the mDC_MP3 MINI DIRECTOR and the DC_MP3 SHOWTIME DIRECTOR. The SHOWTIME MINI DIRECTOR is in a black case and the SHOWTIME DIRECTOR is just a circuit board that may be part of a complete Showtime system or a DIY standalone module (such as mine).

George Cotton wrote:

Yes, my problem is with the Showtime Director DC_MP3_v4-20 firmware upgrade. I'm wondering if the v4-20 firmware upgrade might be for the MINI instead. Had same experience as Orville did with all the garbage info after failure. Again v4-10 load went perfect and got the unit back running.

Another problem is that folks may be confused between the mDC_MP3 MINI DIRECTOR and the DC_MP3 SHOWTIME DIRECTOR. The SHOWTIME MINI DIRECTOR is in a black case and the SHOWTIME DIRECTOR is just a circuit board that may be part of a complete Showtime system or a DIY standalone module (such as mine).

Mine is in a gray metal box, labeled Showtime MP3 Director and I've used the DC-MP3 firmware updates previously with no issue, The gray box also had LOR1602MP3 on it, but Dan (that is Dan of Light-O-Rama) told me that it is not an LOR1602 Showtime MP3 Director and the newer units would have that info removed, so I had blacked it out, removed it for the attached photo. This is really the DC MP3 Showtime Director and as far as I know is exactly the same as the circuit card but just pre-installed in a metal enclosure. See photo below.

If you look close you can see where I had used a black marker to black out the "LOR1602MP3" on the case. Which I will re-black it out again, just wanted it removed to show what was written on the enclosure. And it was blacked out so as NOT to confuse it with the actual LOR1602MP3 which is also a 16 channel controller and DC MP3 Showtime Director all in one enclosure.

Attached files 217880=12116-LOR DC-MP3 Showtime Directo

One other thing as far as using the incorrect version of firmware.

If everything is working as expected, if you select the wrong firmware and attempt to download it to a device then you will get this error message in the status area:

Load Failed

Bootload File not valid for this controller

-----

Dan

That's why I suggested that the firmware file listed for the DC_MP3 might actually be for the mDC_MP3 instead. Something is wrong somewhere as I've never had a problem updating any firmware on any LOR device before.

George Cotton wrote:

That's why I suggested that the firmware file listed for the DC_MP3 might actually be for the mDC_MP3 instead. Something is wrong somewhere as I've never had a problem updating any firmware on any LOR device before.

As mentioned in another thread the 4.20 version of firmware was corrupt online. The DC-MP3 recognized that it was corrupt and rejected it. The problem has been corrected.

Dan

LightORamaDan wrote:

One other thing as far as using the incorrect version of firmware.

If everything is working as expected, if you select the wrong firmware and attempt to download it to a device then you will get this error message in the status area:

Load Failed

Bootload File not valid for this controller

-----

Dan

Interesting as I have only gotten the "Data Poll Block" error message from the firmware I have tried recently and I even tried one of the firmware mDMxxx.lhx and the mDCxxx.lhx files and they each gave me the same Data Poll Block error message.

The only time I ever got that Bootload file error was the very first time I tried to update the MP3 Showtime firmware when I first got my "Showtime MP3 Director" and thought it was a LOR1602MP3 because of the lettering on the enclosures face and thusly had download and tried to use an incorrect file, thinking it was an LOR1602MP3, which seems to also be a different type unit from all the others.

So I can see how this could confuse folks trying to figure out which firmware they really need to download and install.

Maybe LOR could do something like this to help aid and make sure folks get the correct firmware for their MP3 Director units:

Have either some type of descriptor and/or even a photograph of the particular MP3 Director unit the firmware is for, that way folks would know *exactly* which firmware they need and if it is the correct one for their MP3 Director unit.

I certainly knew which file I needed for my mini and that file was posted (firmware 4.10). It was what I needed and it worked for me.

However I am glade you guys sorted out that Showtime MP3 issue.......and I see you get a 4.20 upgrade.

So is there an upgrade for the mini in 4.20 coming soon?

LightORamaDan wrote:

George Cotton wrote:

As mentioned in another thread the 4.20 version of firmware was corrupt online. The DC-MP3 recognized that it was corrupt and rejected it. The problem has been corrected.

Dan

Thank you Dan! I just upgraded (November 3, 2010) my DC MP3 Showtime Director to the DC MP3 4.20 firmware upgrade with a "Succesful" download to the unit!

Ran a test and found no issues or problems.