Light-O-Rama Forums

x-10 newbie question

morrisonstreet

I couldn't get the search function to work tonight, so I apologize if this has already been answered.

I'd like to be able to turn off my x-10 controlled porchlight from within my shows. I think I found what I need, but wanted to make sure with the experts. I found this link on the x-10 website.

http://www.x10.com/pro/automation/cm11a.htm

Is that all I need, or is that even the right thing?

Thanks!

Yes, that's what you need. The CM11A connects to your computer with a serial port, so if you have a newer laptop without one, you'll need to get a USB to serial converter.

I use the CM11A to turn my porch light and the garden lights off during the show. In previous years, I also used it to turn the FM transmitter and speaker amplifier on during the show, but this year I'm using a parallel port interface.

I use X10 to...

At 5:00 turn off the flood light Turn on blow ups

At 10:00 M - Thur 11:00 Fri - Sun turn on Flood and turn off blow ups.

A few years ago I "tried" to use X10 to flash my lights but they were too slow.

Then I discovered LOR!

I have a wireless x10 remote that controls an x10 garage door opener module that in turn is wired to an input card on my lor controller. I can start a sequence magically or the whole show. It's awesome! Very simple and cheap to hook up too.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I ordered the CM11A from x10.com. It never came and they just contacted me and said it's been discontinued. It's also discontinued on the smarthome.com website. I looked online and the only other place I could find it was ebay and it was almost 3 times the price (I was paying $42.79).

Is this the only way to control x10?

Unfortunatly we have not implemented the usb version of the X10 device. I am sorry about that. We have it on our list but have not gotten to it yet.

Dan

• 2 years later...

Does LOR still have it on their list to iclude the USB version? I am starting my show for next year and I just realized I could use all my X10 stuff, but I have the CM15A. I would love to be able to add this to my show.

Maybe its just me. I have been a X10 user for over 20 years, we that use X10 products know what its great for a computerized timer and remote triggering, but I been a LOR user for over 5 years and I know the limitations of X10 and I don't see it being a reliable tool for controlling lightshow related triggers, its another point of failure in your light chain, I have the CM15A and use it as a timer to power up my 50watt halogen lamp at 1/2 power for my Radio Banner, and turn on and off my inflatables, but to use it for controlling some of my lights in the show? naw I'll stick with the good ole' LOR controllers, But to do a flip here, if LOR decides to do the interface for the X10, I might try it :) because I know LOR will interface it right, and maybe the LOR Beta Testers can actually bend it to see where it breaks

Edited by PMC

I would definitely use it to enhance my show with things inside my house that I already automate. Such as controlling the lights of the Christmas tree in my front window, which X10 would work perfectly for. I don't need to do fancy things inside the house, just add that little bit extra without costing me anything extra.

A far as I can remember, LOR has been silent on the X10 issue for years. Too bad actually. I use X10 for all my inside stuff, inflatables, and controlling amp & transmitter. I guess it's just old technology that Dan doesn't want to invest any R&D $$.

• 3 months later...

for  all who use x-10 control modules

x-10 has upgraded the controller from the cm11a to the  cm15a

i'm not sure how this new controller will work with the  software

i have the cm15a

due to this  and being the newbee i am i'm concidering the advanced  software so i can do the same as  you other guys 

turn off the  lights before the show and the back on afterwards 

and  because i want to use a string of CCB's along with a pc controller for starters then  get more lights as needed

The CM11A hasn't been available for a long time.  The CM15A has never been supported by LOR, and my guess is it will never make it to the top of "the list" as there are other priorities for LOR.

That said, I use a CM15A to run the static parts of my show, as well as our projector.  You can send X10 commands via the Windows command line... and LOR can send windows commands via a .BAT file.  Now if you want to "blink" your X10 lights to the music, you can't do that (X10 is horrible at that anyway), but if you just want some static stuff turned on at the beginning of a show, and off at the end (or maybe the same at the beginning of a particular sequence) then you can get it to work well.

I used X-10 in the past, never with LOR though.  I found X-10 to be pretty unreliable.  It seems that what you have plugged in and where may have an adverse affect on the X-10 signal.  Power supplies tend to eat the X-10 signal and it never gets to the X-10 modules.

A few years ago my X-10 timer went out.  I found that I couldn't get a replacement.  So I decided to switch to Insteon.  Insteon is much more reliable, not perfect, but much better than X-10.  Personally, I think X-10 is dying a slow painful death.  It seems that it is getting harder to find X-10 parts.  For an example, the timer that I needed to replace was no longer available.  The timer that I eventually tried had a wall wart power supply and wouldn't control anything, so it was worthless.

Insteon is more complicated and expensive than X-10, but, it also has more capabilities.

My wish is that LOR would support Insteon as well as X-10.

Jerry

i'm running into that as well

the parts for x-10 are getting hard to locate

i'm might have to upgrade to Insteon or another home automation system that smarthome has to replace  x-10 with

like i said it will not be running with th LOR show only to turn off then on the non-show lights before and after the show

I would love to switch to Insteon but I just can't stomach the price jump.  I used to be able to get X-10 SR225 built-in outlets for like $8 on eBay.  Insteon has them for like $65 (off the top of my head). 

Plus over the years I've built up a semi-reliable X-10 system, using filters, active repeaters, etc.

I forgot to mention that the Insteaon isy99 can also send/receive X-10 signals.  So you can leverage your existing X-10 modules.

If you decide to go with Insteaon the isy99 is the thing that can turn stuff on/off at programmed times.  It connects to your ethernet network and an insteon modem which is plugged into a wall outlet.  You program it with a web interface using your computers browser. 

What I really like about it is that it contacts a time server on the internet at gets the correct time automatically.  It also knows the time of sunrise and sunset on any day of the year.  In the program, you can tell it to turn stuff on or off based on sunrise/sunset.   I set mine up to turn on the lamps in the living room at a random time 30-45 minutes before sunset.

I  also have some wireless remotes that I use to control the living room lamps.  At Christmas, It also turns on the Christmas tree automatically, or I can turn it on or off with the remote.  I also use it to control the static stuff outside.

Another good thing about Insteon is that it won't respond to a unauthorized signal like X-10 sometimes does.

Jerry

Last year I used their (X10) time to turn on and off my Christmas tree lights and Santa's spot light.

Active home allows you to do a ton of things at different time(s).