Light-O-Rama Forums

Any Limits I should know about when adding a lot of DMX channels to my setup?

heystew

I've been using LOR for several years and have grown to about 400 channels, the majority of which are LOR1600W showtime controllers driven by a showtime MP3 director.
I am looking to add a significant amount of LED RGB nodes to the system that are controlled via DMX. (http://response-box.com/rgb/) To do this it looks like i will need to add a total of 8 iDMX-1000's to the system. This raises several questions:
- Will the LOR network be able to handle this additional load
- Will the MP3 director be able to handle this?
- Are there any alternatives to adding 8 iDMX-1000's?

Thanks in advance,
dave

Have you done any testing of setting up 8 universes?

Get you controllers out and connect one to each universe and see if it will work.

I have not yet done any testing other than one universe. I was hoping to get a little bit of a warm fuzzy that it could work before i ordered 8 iDMX units.

from looking at other posts it looks like that I may need to split my network up.. and to do that I'm assuming i'll have to switch to driving the show from a PC instead of the MP3 director.

I"ll go for it and see what happens...

heystew wrote:

- Are there any alternatives to adding 8 iDMX-1000's?

Thanks in advance,
dave

Dave there are some DIY stuff out there which are targeted towards the large DMX setup - currently LOR doesn't support E1.31 and not sure if they plan on adding it but there are also a few other projects in the works that do.

EthConGateway
-

I think LOR MAY be able to handle this but I think bandwidth on the wire will be the issue. For BEST results I would run this from a PC with 4 LOR universes and evenly split up your devices by commands (NOT channels).

Harrison

• 2 months later...

Just a quick follow up. I have setup my system using 4 networks per your recommendation and have only done 5 fully populated DMX universes (time constraints not a technical issue that i ran into). Two networks for my normal LOR controllers and 2 networks for the DMX universes (3 on one, 2 on the other). I have not had any network performance issues. The only issue i have run into is the 128 intelligent channel limit of the iDMX.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are not aware, to control RGB LED pixels via DMX, you only get 128 intelligent channels on an iDMX.

So for a typical megatree using 2048 RGB LED pixels, if you attempted to control that with LOR through the iDMX in it's current form, you would need SIXTEEN iDMX units.

Thanks Gary,
I did learn this the hard way... just ended up modifying my sequences to be less "intelligent"

thanks again,
dave

• 4 months later...

The show turned out well.. definitely did not use the RGB led's to anywhere near their capability. But was a very good learning experience and they did add another dimension to the show. The below video is unfortunately the only one i have right now.

The Grinch - Rocky Run Christmas

• The topic was locked