Light-O-Rama Forums

Powering Your CCR

bajantechie

I was wondering how you guys are powering your CCRs. Are you plugging into a LOR circuit or a direct unswitched supply. If via a direct supply, does that mean you have to leave them powered all season to come on when the show start every night.

Thanks, you guys are great...

Ron.

I'm powering mine from a direct unswitched supply, just like all my other controllers. Generally, all my controllers will be powered continuously from mid November to Jan 1.

George Simmons wrote:

Generally, all my controllers will be powered continuously from mid November to Jan 1.

Power to the controllers is never shut off here. In fact my CCRs have been powered up for a month already in the shop while I sequence them.

Thanks for your responses guys.

I was just concern about the in-line brick on the CCR power cord overheating and burning out, being powered for such a long time.

Ron.

inside power supplies there is a thermometer if it gets to hot it shuts the power supply off this is the same for all wall wart adapters

• 2 weeks later...

By the way, I have noticed that even though I didn't have any lights within the CCR turned on during the day, the ribbon itself is still getting power and was warm to the touch when rolled up.

The chips within the ribbons are still being powered even if no lights are on. The bad news about that is that it waste energy. The good part is that it'll melt the snow and ice. :P

• Like 1

Wayne,

That's an interesting observation. I didn't realized that. I hope the chips can handle being powered 24/7 for almost two months. big_grin.gif

Ron.

Not sure if the LEDs would get warm enough when rolled up but I have heard that excessive heat does reduce the life span of LED lights (you may have heard about LED street lights in Texas not working out so well). Apparently while they don't get too warm on the front side, the backplane can heat up, affecting the LED life. To be safe, I unrolled mine slightly while I tested them.

I put a Kill-O-Watt on it. Plugged in idle it is drawing .08 amps. All on full white I see .43 amps.

Though .08 isn't a large number, I have to say I was a bit surprised (a regular controller draws about 1/4 that)

That is a lot. I wonder if they could be powered by turning a channel on/off from another controller? Obviously you wouldn't want to dim them....

I use an X-10 Appliance module independent of my LOR equipment, scheduled for afternoon turn on and late night turn off. This powers the outdoor FM radio and any exterior controllers (like the CCR's and Fireflies).

Nothing "green" about that decision. I had problems with the radio sometimes playing static after the shows overnight due to the cheap FM transmitter I had in the house the first year. I was also leery of stuck pixels on the Firefly units when I first got them, and liked the idea of a clean shutdown and restart daily. Neither is really a problem anymore, but it's habit now.

My LOR 1600's are all permanently mounted in gutted circuit breaker panels fed by a dedicated sub panel, so they are on full time Oct - Jan with no problems.

• 1 year later...

Can I use SPT2 wire to run from the power supply to the CCRs ... about 30' or should I be using a proper extension cord ?!

Dave

Can I use SPT2 wire to run from the power supply to the CCRs ... about 30' or should I be using a proper extension cord ?!

Dave

Digging up old post?

Just to clarify...do you mean run 30' from the power outlet to the CCR power supply?? If so,then yes you can. CCR uses very little power. I has 100ft runs with SPT1. It will be fine.

Digging up old post?

Just to clarify...do you mean run 30' from the power outlet to the CCR power supply?? If so,then yes you can. CCR uses very little power. I has 100ft runs with SPT1. It will be fine.

Thanks Kevin .... and if I had some unused channels on one of my controllers I could run the CCRs from there so they turn off at the end of the evening each night ?!

I just want to make sure I am doing it safe !

Dave

I would like to apologize for "highjacking" an old thread.

Before I posted my question I was doing searches to find my answer and that is when I came across this thread.

I did not realize that it was an old ( 2yr old ) thread and again apologize.

Dave

• The topic was locked