Light-O-Rama Forums

Bummer.. damn thieves

jjdurrant

jjdurrant wrote:

I had a single pumpkin inflatable in my yard and someone stole it. Unbelievable. Makes me feel real confident about setting up my xmas display. :X

Its my #1 concern!!!! I swear, if i'm outside or see anyone messing with any of my stuff, they'll get a hockey stick over the head!! Since I don't own a gun, the stick will have to do ;)

Sorry dude! Some people just have NO morals!! They need to be taught a lesson!

Guest wbottomley

pokrplr wrote:

jjdurrant wrote:
I had a single pumpkin inflatable in my yard and someone stole it. Unbelievable. Makes me feel real confident about setting up my xmas display. :X

Its my #1 concern!!!! I swear, if i'm outside or see anyone messing with any of my stuff, they'll get a hockey stick over the head!! Since I don't own a gun, the stick will have to do ;)

Sorry dude! Some people just have NO morals!! They need to be taught a lesson!

Couldn't agree more!

There is always the option of installing an electric fence around your display ;)

I live out in the country so I don't have too much about people stealing things from my display, knock on wood.

I dono... I have seen some pretty suspicious looking cows in the pasture.

I do put up CCTV Cameras though. My problem isnt cows.... punk a$$ teenagers.

Just another reason I always keep my controllers inside. I'd rather run a little extra wire and know the expensive parts are locked down.

Man, that SUXXX!!!! I am always nervous about that. I too have a few CCTV cameras with a DVR, just in case. You should be able to find a 4-camera DVR with an 80gig harddrive for around $300 bucks or so.

Alright. So I think I am going to layout several motion activated floods for now. I will look into CCTV or a steel cable if this becomes more of an issue. Can the floods be daisy chained together so if one is triggered my entire lawn would light up? Any certain flood you guys recommend or would any type from Menards or Lowes suffice?

Thx

Guest Don Gillespie

GS wrote:

Vinyl coated steel cable is your friend. 100' pulled through everything you care about will help keep honest people honest.

couldn't agree more, sorry to hear about your loss if all else fails I heard through the grape vine that pitbulls work well also, they seem to like thieves for dinner.

GS wrote:

Vinyl coated steel cable is your friend. 100' pulled through everything you care about will help keep honest people honest.

Ive got the vinyl coated steel to protect the speakers. Also built boxes similiar to the one's wow lights sells. Secured them with 1/2 chain and master padlocks. Of course if someone wants it bad enough, they'll get it. There gonna have to work though! Then get clubbed with the hockey stick :D
IMG00154-20101014-0837.jpg
IMG00152-20101014-0836.jpg

IMG00151-20101014-0836.jpg

IMG00147-20101014-0834.jpg

IMG00148-20101014-0835.jpg

That suxs big time!

I have a motion activated flood light out front with a time that shuts off during the Christmas show and on at the end of the show.

I do have Cameras hooked up to a DVR but (knock on wood) nothing has gone missing.

I think it might have something to do with all the snow and net lights that I use for a fence around everything. Last year I used fishing line snaked in all my wire frames.

Wow pokrplr.. you do not mess around.. LOL.

I am going to go with several floods on a timer that will kick in once display is done.. I am just worried about the neighbors complaining.. I know the guy directly across the street from me is already irritated by the lights.

jjdurrant wrote:

Wow pokrplr.. you do not mess around.. LOL.

First two nights I had the setup, couldn't sleep. Was wondering if someone's out there messing with my boxes. So i took it to the next level, LOL. Once I had everything locked down like fort knox, was able to sleep well again :) ... Got too much coin @ risk to not be protected. It doesn't matter how nice of a neighborhood you live in, thieves and hood rats are everywhere. Tisk, Tisk...Its a damn shame!!

jj -

To keep from running the lights all night, you could set up multiple motion detectors all triggering a relay which would fire the light (s)....that's an option. Still use a timer or LOR channel to keep the lights from triggering during the show if you want.

tomskillman wrote:

jj -

To keep from running the lights all night, you could set up multiple motion detectors all triggering a relay which would fire the light (s)....that's an option. Still use a timer or LOR channel to keep the lights from triggering during the show if you want.

Ok.. maybe that is the better option.. I just have to figure out how many motion detectors I would need :)

On My garage and front porch are motion activated floods. I turn the off during the show and back on when the show is done and I go to bed. I also have three night vision cameras in various places that take good video. I am moving one of them off the house and putting it somewhere it wont be noticed in my display. Costco has an 8 camera set for under 500 quite often. I think the motion activated light deter theft pretty well. There is also motion detected alarm that sells pretty cheap that you can set up in your display that will sound in your home. The camera sets too have an alarm but i turn it off because every passing car sets it off.