Light-O-Rama Forums

Light Flurries LOR

Guest guest

I saw a light flurries box(http://www.lightflurries.com/Product.html) on here a few weeks ago in another forum. I got one off ebay because it looks like a fun addition to my display. Will it be safe to plug into LOR? I'm not sure how long I really plan on running it, I can't immagine I'd use it a whole lot though. Just key parts of songs & maybe turn it on during the non-musical part of the display.

Thanks!

Dan:happytree:

The following is true in general, but I haven't used the light flurries product specifically:

Is the motor separate from the light? With most motorized things---It's better to leave the motor on for the whole display, and only use LOR to control the light as needed. Otherwise, the amount of cycles (continuously turning the motor on and off during your shows) may reduce the total life of the motor.

contactmike1 wrote:

The following is true in general, but I haven't used the light flurries product specifically:

Is the motor separate from the light? With most motorized things---It's better to leave the motor on for the whole display, and only use LOR to control the light as needed. Otherwise, the amount of cycles (continuously turning the motor on and off during your shows) may reduce the total life of the motor.

I don't think it's separate since it's a 12v light that plugs into the box. Maybe with a little work it would be possible to separate the two...or find a 120v light that works with it.

I use 2 of the lightflurries and control them with x10 and that is controlled by LOR. They haven't given me any problems for the past 2 years, and I turn them on/off at least 40 times per night during the season. If the motor would ever burn out, you can buy replacements for $10 (last time I checked) online. The only restriction with controlling them directly with LOR would be the amps, and I can't remember how many amps they use, but I can't imagine it would be over the individual circuit ratings of LOR.

I just plugged my light flurries into a Kill-A-Watt meter and it was .34 amps. Last night I put it on an LOR channel using the hardware utility and turned it on and off with a channel. It worked fine. I am going to mod my lamps to be controlled by a separate power supply so I can keep the motors running. I don't like the way it bounces when it first starts up. I am going to try a LV light power supply. Will post findings.

jeff

I have used a pin spot before, and I used it along with the light that is with the lightflurries, and that seemed to work well. Walter Monkhouse said he uses a spot light inside a piece of pvc, and places the end of the pvc right up to the rotating ball, and says that works great. It hides the light source, and the beam doesn't spread out because the pvc directs the light to one area. Can't remember what kind of spot he uses though.

vanlohd wrote:

Thanks for the info guys. Jeff - I'll be interested to hear what you come up with! I think it was in another thread on here that people talked about wishing the light was brighter...

I took a 150 watt rated low voltage lighting transformer, and connected it to the LF pin spot. It works fine. You can find these at H/D for around $20.

I connected it to an LOR channel (using on/off only) and it was just fine, The ammeter read .39a for one light. The other light flurries should be here within the next few days. I'll connect both pin spots to the transformer and update the ammeter reading then.

I'll keep the transformer in the house near the controllers, and run the LV lighting cable to the pin spots. 'GS' wanted to try a larger bulb, on the order of 50 watts. That could be done if you use this mod. I'm much happier that I won't have to wait for the motors to wind up. It looked tacky to me...

jeff

Attached files 73317=4518-LFLs.JPG

Greg, if you recall, my house is a one story rancher. The front yard is only 50'x50' I plan on having two Light Flurries about 15' apart and only 25' from the house. Since it's such a small home it works out OK. You might have to back away a bit to get it to spread out a little. Are you only using one unit? Have you pointed one of those suntan machines at it yet?:laughing:

jeff
edited: because I'm a lazy and very poor speller,,,

Jeff, I tried the suntan machine at the mini plus but if you remember, the flakes disappeared and all i was getting was a "ripple" effect. So I think the light source has to be small, just a bit brighter for me.

Thanks,
Greg

OK, today I went to Lowes and bought a Malibu 121 watt low voltage transformer with a timer built in. 40 bucks.

I also ordered from 1000bulbs.com a 75 watt narrow beam mr16....well 2 for backup....they were like $2.19 each.

So in a few weeks I will get everything set up and see how it goes.

Off topic....other purchases from today include:
outdoor speakers...$40/pair
belkin tunecast....$30
Car Adapter for tunecast...$1.60
Audio and speaker cables....about $23
150 feet of clear rope light....$60

I went on a shopping spree! But all I need now (hopefully) is x10 gear and some stained glass paint plus the stuff to make a radio sign

Greg

Are you installing this higer wattage bulb in the same housing? I bought a 50 & 75 watt bulb myself. I have a low-voltage transformer from a unused light kit I plan on using.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just did the mod today myself. I was quite disappointed. I switched between bulbs ....35watt stock, 50, then 75. The 35 was noticably brighter. Then it hit me - these little guys have different style reflectors! I've found there is spot, narrow flood and wide flood now that I've done a little resaerch. The 50 & 75 watt bulbs I bought were floods! I'll have to check out my local store to see if they have MN12 spot lights. Hah, if only I had realized this a few weeks ago...Oh well, learn something new every day ;)

For as much as I plan on using the light flurries (maybe 20 seconds at a time max every 5-6 minutes, I don't think heat will be an issue even with the 75 watt bulb).

LightsByGreg wrote:

This is what I used (from 1000bulbs.com)
75 Watt - MR16 - EYF Narrow Spot - 2,000 Life Hours - 75MR16/12DEG/SP - 12V - Covered Glass Front Face - $1.79

I noticed you said "Narrow Spot" in one of your previous posts too. I didn't pay any mind to that *coughs* minor detail back then! :laughing: