Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequencing Voices

mike in tulsa

Hello,

Does anybody have any advice on an easy way to mark voices in the sequence editor? When I use the Tap Wizard, it always seems like I am late requiring a lot of editing. Is there a way to use the VU or Beat Wizard to make it easier?

Thank you...

Mike

The easiest way I've found is to work at half speed with .05 timing and just go along one word at a time. I haven't found any easy accurate way.

Brian Mitchell wrote:

The easiest way I've found is to work at half speed with .05 timing and just go along one word at a time. I haven't found any easy accurate way.

That's what I do. I have several songs for Halloween that light blowmolds with a singer's words. I use a lot of ramp ups and downs and sometimes go to 50% level for softer words.

I have several tracts for my sequences and what ever character I have singing I use the tapper and concentrate on the words and voice and tap out the vocal and ues those marks for the voices. It needs a little editing but has worked pretty good for me.

I turn on the "Wave Form" and use the space bar and go word by word. By using the "Wave Form" (staring at it once the song starts) I see where the word hits and then stop the song. I shade in that cell and then I test it and if the word is out I go back a few cells and then one cell at a time I find the right place to put the voice mark.

Time consuming but fairly accurate. I do that so much that now that I can get the words down in reasonable time.

There may not really be an easy way but the tapper is not for me with words.

I use the wave form as well.

Little bit of a learning curve but speeds things up once you have the hang of it.

lightzilla wrote

There may not really be an easy way but the tapper is not for me with words.

You are right there is not real easy way. I have not tried your method but I will next time I do a vocal sequence.

Are you trying to voice the words with a display element (mouth) or get through vocals?

If the latter, don't mark the words, mark the verse/phrase (I'm lacking music wording here).

Watch music videos, TV commercials, even TV shows. They do not transition on every word. You should be able to predict every camera angle/scene change with practice.

Extend ramps/fades, chases through the vocals.

I turn on the wav form, clear ALL ofthe timing marks and run the audio at 1/2 speed then go thru and plae timing marks at each spot where the mouth needs to change shapes. Then turn on normal speed and go back thru and place all the appropriate effects. it may take a bit longer, but the results are worth it, especially if the mouth has more than just open and closed positions.

All,

Thank you for the advice, I have not experimented with either the wave form, or the speed. I was trying to figure out if I could isolate the vocal(s) in audacity, then create a vocal only sequence; then just copy the vocals to the final animation sequence.

I will try using the wave form/speed method.

Again, thanks to all....

I use a combination of the above, but mainly a lot of painstaking time to catch the words at the right time spot. However, I do not just do an on/off. I use a series of reverse ramps for the open/closed. I find that it softens the movement, and more mimick the actual movement of a mouth speaking. See the snippet below. I have 2 talking heads, Rudy and Elfis, they make all my announcments and do some of the songs as well

Attached files 214316=11931-voice.png

zman wrote:

I use a combination of the above, but mainly a lot of painstaking time to catch the words at the right time spot. However, I do not just do an on/off. I use a series of reverse ramps for the open/closed. I find that it softens the movement, and more mimick the actual movement of a mouth speaking. See the snippet below. I have 2 talking heads, Rudy and Elfis, they make all my announcments and do some of the songs as well

Very nice illustration, thanks for sharing!

Glenn

http://www.christmascarolina.com/forums/showthread.php/1371-lip-syncing-displays

Check this post out over at the Christmas Carolina site. There is some software out there that may prove to be a viable tool. I went to a TASL meet last wed night in Raleigh, NC and this topic came up which is where this post came from.

My son is a cartoonist and he uses this type of software to sink the sound track to the toon, or something like that.

Hope this helps,

Vic

• 2 months later...

Look at the picture of my sequence example.

There is no reverse ramp in LOR. You will see that I put a ramp and fade together on my opposing channels. On some of the longer movements, I don't use a 1:1 length. The last ramp/fade with Rudy (orange) should be adjusted by me so that closed ramp starts a bit later, possibly 3 block, and that would also shorten it.

A good example is to look at Elfis (blue) and look at the 3rd to the last ramp. You will see that they are staggered in time, and the opposing ramp is shorter.

mike in tulsa wrote:

I can't seem to find anything about reverse ramps; can you share the secret of making them?

they are just fades going the other way...just depends on how you have your "View Fades" settings... ZMAN has them set as "ramps".