Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie needs some Advice - LOR vs. AL

Guest guest

ShiningBright91 wrote:

[align=center]***GOOD NEWS!!***
[/align]
Okay, so, I just got done showing my parents and we decided to go with LOR!!

W00T!! W00T!!

So, now, I need some help, where do I get started? What kind of box should I get, what products should I get, should I get the starter Package/the Director Card with MP3 player/which boards, etc.

I really need all the help I can get! OMG...this is just sOoOoOo EXCITING!!

YAY!!....I'm so happy.....lol....okay, I got that out of my system. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

LOL! I'm glad I'm not the only one that got so excited over ordering LOR. Just wait for delivery day...It's like waiting for Christmas to come. The problem is, unlike Christmas, you're never quite sure what time of day the delivery guy might show up. The anticipation can get thick...atleast Santa comes over night. Everything is waiting for you in the morning :laughing:

vanlohd wrote:

ShiningBright91 wrote:

[align=center]
***GOOD NEWS!!***
[/align]

Okay, so, I just got done showing my parents and we decided to go with LOR!!

W00T!! W00T!!

So, now, I need some help, where do I get started? What kind of box should I get, what products should I get, should I get the starter Package/the Director Card with MP3 player/which boards, etc.

I really need all the help I can get! OMG...this is just sOoOoOo EXCITING!!

YAY!!....I'm so happy.....lol....okay, I got that out of my system. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

LOL! I'm glad I'm not the only one that got so excited over ordering LOR. Just wait for delivery day...It's like waiting for Christmas to come. The problem is, unlike Christmas, you're never quite sure what time of day the delivery guy might show up. The anticipation can get thick...atleast Santa comes over night. Everything is waiting for you in the morning :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: We are the excited ones here at PC :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Share the pride....lol.

Ashleigh, I am here in Dunnellon with 112 channels of LOR that I built as kits, then built the metal enclosures due to the fact that I had a hard time finding them locally at a reasonable price. I also built my FM transmitter and to give you just a little sneek peek, my mega tree is 75 feet tall! I will be more than happy to show you what I have put together in the last two years and give you what little tiny bit of info that is in my mind if that would help you. If you would like to touch base, send an E-mail or PM, it's nice to have someone right down the street, as we would call it out here.

Doug

I just thought of something...do I need a

[align=center]*** FM TRANSMITTER? ***
[align=left]
or does the 32 channel come with one? (I hope this isn't a stupid question...lol...I mean I am a girl...:laughing:)

actually, from the looks of it I think I do need one...lol...silly me...blonde moment there...:laughing:...anyway, which is the best kind to get? Thanks!
[/align][/align]

I don't have one, but I hear the ramsey's are top quality. I believe Marty Slack builds kits and sells them if you aren't interested in building your own.

People also seem to like belkins (and then modify them to get better range.) Very cost effective...I bet you can find the belkin thread if you search for it.

Your transmitter will make a world of difference. I purchased a pre-assembled one from a hobbyist on Ebay. It was the best $$$ I spent.

On the other hand, you can buy an inexpensive Belkin that will get you the range you need (FCC only allows 300 ft) that will not require assembly.

Go ahead and stock up on extension cords. Get them while you can, a little every week and it will help spread out the total costs of your display this year and keep moms and dads from getting gruff with you during the holidays.

Dale W wrote:

Your transmitter will make a world of difference. I purchased a pre-assembled one from a hobbyist on Ebay. It was the best $$$ I spent.

On the other hand, you can buy an inexpensive Belkin that will get you the range you need (FCC only allows 300 ft) that will not require assembly.

Dale gives you some good advice. A good transmitter is something that will prove quite useful.

Not to nitpick, but the maximum legal range works out to about 200 ft (and that's overall signal reception range, not a quality signal range). If you pick a clear frequency, and purchase a type approved transmitter (that means one legal for sale in USA), you won't have any issues. That will be true even with a signal that may radiate a little more in one direction, and less in another.

Even with an FM transmitter, I would strongly encourage you to use good quality outside speakers. If money is tight I would suggest the external speakers this season, the transmitter next season.

2 reasons for that:

1) you will have people that walk by/into your display that will not be able to listen to a radio, and will then miss out on the sequencing of your lights, which they will then think are just "blinking"

2) not everyone, even with a sign that tells them where to tune their radio will figure it out, believe it or not!

I have used both an FM transmitter, and outside speakers for the past 26 seasons (out of our total of 29 seasons) of decorating. Every year I still get a number of people that have their windows down so they can "hear the music". When I go up to them and ask them why they aren't listening to the radio, they give me a blank look and usually ask me what radio?:shock:

Have fun!

Greg