Light-O-Rama Forums

3D or CAD Layout?

jjdurrant

We use Visio 2007 for planning. We have each of our controllers on a separate layer allowing us to view and print only that controller, each element is assigned a color (usually the elements primary color). Our plans are only single dimensional (PLAN), I'll save the extra dimensions for the extra Irish Coffee. Currently our plans are designed for 11x17 paper, which makes barely readable when printed, I would create them larger but then I would need to go to Kinko's to get multi-color prints made, which would cost a few bucks each.

Our scale is dead on for the property, allowing us to pre-calculate cable runs and element spacing, additionally we calculate all our loads in our Controller Calculator.

We always know what is going where and how many amps we need before we do it, I wouldn't design anything any other way.

RickWIlliams wrote:

We use Visio 2007 for planning. We have each of our controllers on a separate layer allowing us to view and print only that controller, each element is assigned a color (usually the elements primary color). Our plans are only single dimensional (PLAN), I'll save the extra dimensions for the extra Irish Coffee. Currently our plans are designed for 11x17 paper, which makes barely readable when printed, I would create them larger but then I would need to go to Kinko's to get multi-color prints made, which would cost a few bucks each.

Our scale is dead on for the property, allowing us to pre-calculate cable runs and element spacing, additionally we calculate all our loads in our Controller Calculator.

We always know what is going where and how many amps we need before we do it, I wouldn't design anything any other way.

Great idea. Visio never even crossed my mind. Any chance you would share the file so I can take a look?

• 2 years later...

So I may have a very exotic setup. I like to chage my configurations each year and I found the LOR annimation layout lacked a lot of data. I also did not want two different documents (Excel & LOR) to track the configs. So I now have all my layouts in Visio. I can track where everthing in Visio. For each channel I track Controller, Channel, Name, Color (for annimation), Type of lights (LED, Inc...), quantity of lights. I am also thinking of adding power draw to each item.

The nice thing is I can run reports out of Visio that show me total numner of lights, controller configurations and maybe now power draw per controller. I find looking at Visio is much easier for me. I also have a converter that I made that takes a report from VIsio and converts it to an LCC file that I import into the LOR software. So this way I have only 1 master document (Visio) and I get everything from there. The annimation layout is less that perfect, but is very workable. If you want more info you can email me at ftrevor@lohoa.com.

I use Visio 2012. Print to double size tabloid (11x17) each for front and back yard. All/most connections are noted and readible and used during setup. I couldn't begin to get my display up without it. (12K RGB DC channels, 256 AC channels, mixed bag of LOR/DMX and mostly E1.31 this year.)

Is anyone using a CAD or similar program to layout their display? I was thinking of using an old version of AutoCAD I have am open to other ideas.

If you are proficient in AutoCad, then that will probably work best for you. Otherwise you are spending time learning a new cad platform when you could be learning more sequencing techniques....

• 2 years later...

Anyone have any suggestions for layman type software to layout the system?  I am not a draftsman nor do I want to purchase Visio.

I use the LOR Visualizer, personally.

My son and I built a 1/12 scale model of the house and front yard. Put lights on it and use that for our planes. Just hook up the controller and program it. We use if for Halloween and Christmas. This is our first year and may not work in the future but it cool to see how it's going to look.

• 3 weeks later...

I use LOR for the sequencing etc. and the Visualizer as well as the animation in the show editor.

But I do use Arch. Desk Top, Auto Cad when it comes to the lay out on my yard so it is much easier to figure extension cord lengths, spacing of things in my display such as my mini trees, deer, arch's etc. and placement of the controllers so I have the best use of extension cords, outside plugs etc.

I like having the over head view as to the dimensions and measured to scale distances from item to item in the placement of things as well as being able to make a front and side views of thins if i want to or need to.

Makes it much easier for when i add things to it and move things around.. also have my data sheet connected to it so I can keep track of ext. cords etc. 

A cad program you may consider which isn't to expensive which you can draw to scale with depending on your operating system is also made by AutoCad.... it is called... Auto Sketch....

I do not know what all the operating systems are that they make it for as I fun it on a older comp running Win XP along with my full version or Arch Desk top as I am to cheap to spend a few thousand dollars to have to working with win 7 ...lol..