Light-O-Rama Forums

Yet another FM Sign

gizmomkr

This is a VERRY rough cut - Spacing and alignment need work, but I wanted to see if it was even worth it before I bought some coroplast and spent several hours.

I may order some extra material if anyone else is interested.

i used MUCH larger EL Wire on the top than I did on the bottom. The large stuff is much easier to read in daylight, but the small stuff can make the sharp bends that the larger material can not.

Attached files 212641=11862-100_0233.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Here is version 2 - I changed some colors and mounted it to some coroplast.

Not quite perfect, but it was free hand. I could use a tracing projector to get it dead on, but I think it will do for this year.

My bigest fear is that we move to an area where that station is in use. sort of a pain to change the station.

Attached files 214442=11938-tune to.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Where did you get your EL wire from? Are you using batteries, or do you have some type of AC inverter connected to your LOR?

I have order from both http://www.elwirepros.com/ and http://www.thatscoolwire.com

Elwire Pro's has slightly better prices for most stuff, but as best I can tell, a small operation that you cant really call and ask questions if you have any...

Thats cool wire is in Texas, and has 2 pepople that are very friendly and knoledgeable that answer the phone all the time. They even ran and pulled some parts for me just before 4:00 one day to make sure my order went out that day.

I have order from both and been verry happy with both companies.

I dont use Bateries. I use a small inverter - It takes 12vDC, and its fed from a 12v "wall Wart" type supply. I COULD connect it to my controller, but I dont have any desire to make the FM sign turn on or off.

Ok.. I assume you aren't cutting them in small segments and doing a bunch of soldering.. so how are you making the segmnets? Are you covering the unseen portions with tape, or sticking them through some solid material like a light bright?

You assume wrong - I cut / splice and solder till my fingers fell off. But I did another piece that had almost 30 sections, so the sign was no big deal after that.

The top half was done late one night - I was really tired and lazy, so its not as nice as the bottom half.

I use heat shrink to mash areas I dont want seen, but for the most part:

I start by using hot glue to make the basic shape, I mar on the coro where I want the wire to end, cut, solder, heat shrink, and feed the wire thru the coro.

Its tedious and time consuming - But I love the way it looks like neon at night. tuneto.jpg

• The topic was locked