Light-O-Rama Forums

FM Transmitte

jfrisina04

Orville wrote:

jjdurrant wrote:
wow.. SO glad I asked before ordering my sign. Looks like 87.9 is the one!

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/vacant?select=city&city=55016&state=mn&x=20&y=6

At least you have 5 open freq's! I only have TWO in my area!

Ha! I wonder if I should take a channel in the middle as most would pick the first avail? ;)

Hoping my EDM LCD arrives soon so I can get testing.

jjdurrant wrote:

Orville wrote:
jjdurrant wrote:
wow.. SO glad I asked before ordering my sign. Looks like 87.9 is the one!

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/vacant?select=city&city=55016&state=mn&x=20&y=6

At least you have 5 open freq's! I only have TWO in my area!

Ha! I wonder if I should take a channel in the middle as most would pick the first avail? ;)

Hoping my EDM LCD arrives soon so I can get testing.

I picked the first one myself, from my feeble two channel BEST list. There were lots in the last list(GOOD), but I wanted the BEST, not a third rate freq. LOL

But you should be fine with any of them on the list of open freq's in your area.

Just a note before you order the sign. You need to verify that the frequency is open. The radio locator site isn't always as up to date or complete as people wish it was. In my case, if I had blindly followed their data I would have been transmitting over the top of a commercial station that had been on the air for about six months. You need to get in your car, at night when signals travel most clearly, and drive around your neighborhood to make sure the frequency you want is available. And in a perfect world you could find a place on the dial where three frequencies in a row are open and then you could choose the middle one for least amount of bleed-through.

George Simmons wrote:

Just a note before you order the sign. You need to verify that the frequency is open. The radio locator site isn't always as up to date or complete as people wish it was. In my case, if I had blindly followed their data I would have been transmitting over the top of a commercial station that had been on the air for about six months. You need to get in your car, at night when signals travel most clearly, and drive around your neighborhood to make sure the frequency you want is available. And in a perfect world you could find a place on the dial where three frequencies in a row are open and then you could choose the middle one for least amount of bleed-through.

Yep.. I will test before ordering.

George Simmons wrote:

Sure glad you brought that up George! I forgot that I had done that myself when I had to pick between my two freq's to make sure it was definitely a clear freq!

If there are other displays in your area that also use an FM transmitter, your best choice is to use the same frequency.

• If the other display has been using that same frequency for several years without a visit from the FCC, then it is unlikely they would visit you.
  • If the other display is at least a few blocks away, then you better not be interfering with each other, or at least one of you is using too much power!
  • If a visitor is coming from the other display, then they already have their radio tuned to the right frequency.

There are at least 5 displays in my area, and we all use 104.1 FM.