Light-O-Rama Forums

FM Transmitte

jfrisina04

this prolly has a post somewhere, but am looking for a good FM Transmitter, i do live on a busy street,

thanks for the help

Jay

My vote is for EDM transmitters--many would agree that their audio quality is unbeatable in this price range. Simple to assemble (minutes) and use. http://edmdesign.com/orders.html

Here are some previous discussions:

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=21522

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=22559

I agree the EDM is the very best of the best small FM transmitters. I and a large group have a Mobile Black Box transmitter. The V4000 is a stereo unit but the power is not adjustable. While the V6000 is mono and the output power is adjustable. How dumb is that? Anyway most of us have selected the V4000 and if the power out is a great concern then we have gotten a low wattage attenuator and put that between the transmitter and the antenna. BTW the V4000 is just a few bucks over 100 bucks. While the EDM is several hundred bucks.

I bought an "Ele" also found under "Hilly" name off E-bay. Came fully assembled from China. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260653745712

I would urge you to read and consider FCC rules before you decide, but in general would say a tiny bit of common sense goes a long way - If you throw up a huge antenna and blast out for several miles ontop of other commercial stations, The FCC is likely to visit.

I was worried about power, and bought one about twice what I needed - I plan to use a very small antenna, or attenuate it. If I ever buy another I would get something close to 1/4 a watt.

Im still quite happy with what I bought as it works great, and its easy to drop the power down a bit.

I have seen the EDM units, and they function and sound great - They are great for the price - I am just REALLY CHEAP! The one I got is 5x the power and 1/3 the price.

Attached files 212191=11841-fmxmit.jpg

Thanks for all the replys, Giz, does this come with an antenna and power supply, that is more in my price range

gizmomkr wrote: I bought an "Ele" also found under "Hilly" name off E-bay. Came fully assembled from China. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260653745712

I would urge you to read and consider FCC rules before you decide, but in general would say a tiny bit of common sense goes a long way - If you throw up a huge antenna and blast out for several miles ontop of other commercial stations, The FCC is likely to visit.

I was worried about power, and bought one about twice what I needed - I plan to use a very small antenna, or attenuate it. If I ever buy another I would get something close to 1/4 a watt.

Im still quite happy with what I bought as it works great, and its easy to drop the power down a bit.

I have seen the EDM units, and they function and sound great - They are great for the price - I am just REALLY CHEAP! The one I got is 5x the power and 1/3 the price.

It does come with the power cord and antenna. He has several other models a 10 Mwatt and an adjustable 10 / 500Mw I'd probably get that unit

http://cgi.ebay.com/100mW-500mW-adjusted-output-LCD-stereo-FM-transmitter-/250679532258?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5daa1ae2

The original power cord had some type of short - only worked when I held it in place, but I had tons of 12v power cords lying around, so it was no big deal.

I e-mailed the guy, and he responded quickly, offered to ship a new one, but I didnt need it. But you may want to ask him to test the power cord before shipping.

Max-Paul wrote:

I agree the EDM is the very best of the best small FM transmitters. ......... While the EDM is several hundred bucks.

Several hundred bucks?

The EDM- LCD is only $134 and $15 for shipping making $149 total delivered for (quoting Max-Paul "the very best of the best small FM transmitters")

Of course, I didn't pay that much, as I got in on a group buy from EDM several years ago and saved quite a few bucks.

I set the computer volume at about 50%, same for the volume on the transmitter, and pluged it into the jack on the left marked "Audio" It has a place to connect a "mic" and "audio" source - I guess so you could be lke your own DJ...

I dont own a EMD to compare side by side, and Im not a huge audio junkie so I'm sure you get what you pay for, but I really dont think anyone is going to knock on my door to complain that the audio was not super duper quality like the local 1000 Watt station.

My ears could barely tell the difference between my transmitter and my local stations - and I think If I had an EQ (and cared to try) , I could have tweaked it a bit more.

Bottom line: for 64.00 bucks shipped - It works great. clear signal with good range, and saved me a bunch of money! Shipping did take a while - About 2 weeks.

Thats interesting J,
I was just on the EDM site and the price for the basic LCD model is now 180 bucks with metal encloser. I think if I remember correctly it was 220 bucks prior to the RDS unit which is by chance now 220 bucks. Based on what the price was when I last checked (over about a year ago). It was more than a couple hundred and less than several. So, I fudged some. But I wonder where did you get your 134 buck number from. I sure dont see that on their web page. So, I suppose I can call you on your numbers too...

Ok! I seen what you done. You have substituted a sub-standard version of the radio for what everyone else is buying. The one you have priced is the newer model that is replacing the LED model. Gee J, you want to mix apples with oranges and then give me grief about my numbers. Gee J, that is a slime ball you threw out there.

JBullard wrote:

Max-Paul wrote:
I agree the EDM is the very best of the best small FM transmitters. ......... While the EDM is several hundred bucks.

Several hundred bucks?

The EDM- LCD is only $134 and $15 for shipping making $149 total delivered for (quoting Max-Paul "the very best of the best small FM transmitters")

Of course, I didn't pay that much, as I got in on a group buy from EDM several years ago and saved quite a few bucks.

My bad. I bought the EDM-TX-LCD-EP which is now $180 plus 15 for shipping, making 195 total delivered. The delivered price when I purchased mine was less then $150 total (thanks to the group buy)

gizmomkr wrote:

I bought an "Ele" also found under "Hilly" name off E-bay. Came fully assembled from China. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260653745712

How long did shipping take?

I bought the Mobole Black Box Eclipes 4000 for $143.00 inclidong shipping and FULLY ASSEMBLED! I did not want to pay the same price for a kit I'd have to take time to build and then hope I got it right. That and my vision just doesn't alow me to build kits any longer, so I look for fully assembled models.

Eclipse 4000 by Mobile Black Box WILL require an attenuator as the power is more than the FCC does allow straight out of the box. I bought an attenuator and put on it and cut the range from 5+ mile radius it got out of the box to only transmit not more than two houses down from eother side of me and across the street. Won't even reach the next street over behind my house now. I think this was a 50-ohm attenuator I placed in-line with the FM transmitter.

And I'd recommend the MBB E-4000 to anyone, but would also strongly suggest they buy an attenuator to lower the signal to FCC limitations per Part 15.

Shipping time when I bought mine, got to me in about 3 days time!

jjdurrant wrote:

So does it really matter what freq you use? I assume it's best to stay as far away from local station freqs as you can?

8< snip >8

Yes, it DOES matter very much. You CAN NOT BROADCAST ON ANY USED COMMERCIAL Frequency that is active or you'll be getting a visit from the FCC knockin' at your door.

However, you can go here (and many of us that use an FM Transmitter use this site regularly!):

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/vacant

Enter your zip code and state, then the site will show you what frequencies are available (open) for your use with an FM transmitter in your area. I use it to verify the frequency I'm using is still open. It will give you results for BEST, GREAT and GOOD. This is for the United State only.

Also don't enter your info at the top blank panels on the page, this will give you actual readio stations in your area.

ENTER YOUR ZIP or CITY and STATE abbreviation at the BOTTOM of the page under where the text that falls under this large bolded heading that appears on the page:

Find Unused FM Frequencies in Your Area

I recommend using your ZIP CODE as opposed to City. Why? Because in my area, the freq I use is active in another part of the same city (Orlando, FL), but is BEST and useable in my zip code area of 32817. So I recommend using the zip code as oppposed to the city due to this could pose a problem if you used your city and the freq it gives you may be active in your zip code area.

Orville wrote:

jjdurrant wrote:
So does it really matter what freq you use? I assume it's best to stay as far away from local station freqs as you can?

Also, has anyone here used http://www.buildasign.com/? I may give them a shot since I have no time to build a sign this year.

Yes, it DOES matter very much. You can not broadcast on ANY USED COMMERCIAL Frequency that is active or you'll be getting a visit from the FCC knockin' at your door.

However, you can go here (and many of us that use an FM Transmitter use this site regularly!):

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/vacant

Enter your zip code and state, then the site will show you what frequencies are available (open) for your use with an FM transmitter in your area. I use it to verify the frequency I'm using is still open. It will give you results for BEST, GREAT and GOOD. This is for the United State only.

Also don't enter your info at the top blank panels on the page, this will give you actual readio stations in your area.

ENTER YOUR ZIP or CITY and STATE abbreviation at the BOTTOM of the page under where the text that falls under this large bolded heading that appears on the page:

Find Unused FM Frequencies in Your Area

I recommend using your ZIP CODE as opposed to City. Why? Because in my area, the freq I use is active in another part of the same city (Orlando, FL), but is BEST and useable in my zip code area of 32817. So I recommend using the zip code as oppposed to the city due to this could pose a problem if you used your city and the freq it gives you may be active in your zip code area.

wow.. SO glad I asked before ordering my sign. Looks like 87.9 is the one!

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/vacant?select=city&city=55016&state=mn&x=20&y=6