Light-O-Rama Forums

New kid on the block wants to play with animated displays...but is unsure!

Guest guest

:tree:Hello All!:tree:

Firstly I will introduce myself as this is my 1st post! My name is Karl Beetson, I am 17 years old and live in England. Now..I love Christmas and I love to decorate our house with the help of my father! Last year I was sent a video of the Carson Williams display and I was blown of my feet! Now this year I want to do an animated display but not on a USA scale! (You guys rule but us Brit's have to stay small!) I am going to use Light O Ramas hobby products as I am an electronics student and have been studying it at secondary school for 7 years and I am fully aware of what would be doing. There are a few things that are "mything" my parents and I need to clear this up before they will part with the cash! lol

1) Our old display contained a few ropelight shilouttes which where animated independantly with there own factory controllers, how do I implement these into the new system, which would allow me to have control? Any ideas?

2) Won't the ropelight break/blow because of the voltage/current running through it, if I removed the original control box and split the channels?

I hope you can help me,

I tried to upload a video but it doesnt allow...gay,oh well an example of one shilloute we have is 2 golden bells with a red ribbon, the red ribbon is allways static and the bells flash on and off as if ringing.

3 Channels?

Thanks

Karl

Welcome! You'll find lots of help and information here.

I'm no expert, and certainly not well versed in international currents, but I believe you can control your wireframes using their existing controller connected to one channel of LOR - just be sure you turn it on 100% or off 100%. Then you can use the remaining LOR channels to do other lighting effects.

I think you're on the right track, that you may have a problem trying to use LOR to control the individual circuits on the wireframe, bypassing the existing controllers. Though I'm sure many around here can tell you how to do that too.

Again ... welcome.

Only thing I'm not sure of is if LOR runs on 240V (UK Standard I believe?).

The key to the rope lights is what voltage do they run at? If the controller only controls, you can remove the controller, terminate each part of the silhouette seperately, and control with LOR.

If the controller also alters the voltage (i.e. steps it down to 12Vdc or ?), you would also need a voltage "converter" wired to each part to take care of the change.

Welcome aboard, I am also a newbie to all this but have found all the info I needed just from watching this board. I'm sure you will too. Good luck.

This is pretty much the same as Rick's comment.

Depending on the effect you're trying to achieve, why not leave the current controllers intact? Just use LOR to control when the "bell" controller gets power. This lets you turn on and off the various ropelight shilouttes. But this means you can't alter or change the existing flash patterns. Is your goal to change the actual flash patterns and speed?

Just be careful with using LOR effects. For example, setting the intensity or using twinkle or shimmer could possibly damage your existing controller.

PM me and I can host a video for a few weeks.

Hey Guys thanks for the welcome!

I have checked and Light O Rama products do work in the UK:D...thank god!

I want to be able to remove their controllers and take control of them, Switching on a big roplight star which has 3/4 four different channels as there are 3/4 different colours. Urgh its hard:shock:

Ive got a video of the house 2 years ago..looking pretty crap compared to the USA style but pretty good for england!lol

Karl

captainkarl wrote:

Guys!?:{:):?

Cappy,

I would suggest taking a cheap ropelite set-up, one that's not that great, dirty, used, whatever and do some tests. When it comes to U.S. current and U.K. current, most will not say much if they are not sure (we don't need for anyone to get hurt).

I lived in England for 2 years (stationed at RAF Mildenhall) and loved every minute of it and am familiar with your voltage/hertz difference but not with the ropelite product you may be working with.

Do some tests but be safe doing it. Let us know what you find out. I'm curious anyway.

Sorry, but that's the best I can suggest from myself.

Tom

captainkarl wrote:

would it damage the LOR controller?

I wouldn't think so. If your taking the ropelight controller out of play, all your doing is hooking straight to the ropelight itself. Are you using a transformer to run LOR?

Tom

captainkarl wrote:

Dont actually have a LOR unit yet, was just theortically thinking how would the display stuff ie ropelights work with the unit.

It's always good to brainstorm new & creative ideas. Gives time to work out any issues you think about ahead of time.

Tom

Done it!!! Ordered a hobby kit 16 channel controller and the software!! Are there anyother guides around on how to make them mini trees other than the planet christmas 1?

How long will it take for the LOR kit to arrive??

Thanks Karl

Can anyone give me any advice on what I could "zone" on my house and with what if I post a pic and a link 2 a video?

KB

Concerning the mini-trees, here is an idea that I have used:

I start with two 3 foot tomato cages which can be obtained for your home and garden supply this time of year for nearly nothing. Insert one inside the other and rotate 60 degree to have a 6 sided wire object, shaped like a christmas tree. You tie the smaller end with a plastic tie and place the cages on the broad base (upside down), and you have a verstile tree that can be used anywhere (on roof, on concrete, etc) and decorated with 100-200 mini-lilghts. You can now use your imagination to place different colors on different circuits, even just decorate the upper portion for smaller tree. :]

What is neat about these trees, they can be easily moved, store and decorated to give a special look to your display - at a very reasonable cost, and will last for years.

I have 16 channels at the momment....what the hell could I do? Would 32 channels be better? we have a semi detached house situated on the road with a large square block paved drive. We could get access to the roof of the house but mum doesnt allow dad to go up there when its wet...how do you guys safely get on your roofs?

Thanks Karl

Hey Guys, having so much fun desgining my display!

Okay I ordered this; (Ordered the software as well but thats the hardware below)

16 Channel Kit - Standard
(high-power heatsinks)

Please could someone provide me with the output specs for this unit ie how much current per a channel or something like that...as I looked on the data sheet but got a bit lost.

[line]

Got some bad news today, to ship to the UK using UPS would be a fortune according to LOR, they said they normally use a postal service, anyone know how much that would cost?

Thanks

Guys!!

Karl

Bax Global is an inexpensive alternative for UPS. They will pick up and deliver door to door, or deliver to the nearest airport and you pick them up.

I use them to ship internationally and have not had any problems with them at all.

Thanks does LOR use this company though?

[line]

Hey Guys, having so much fun desgining my display!

Okay I ordered this; (Ordered the software as well but thats the hardware below)

16 Channel Kit - Standard
(high-power heatsinks)

Please could someone provide me with the output specs for this unit ie how much current per a channel or something like that...as I looked on the data sheet but got a bit lost.

And what I CAN and CANNOT do I, max number of amps that can be drawn etc

Karl

captainkarl wrote:

And what I CAN and CANNOT do I, max number of amps that can be drawn etc

Karl

Karl,

Here is the link to the userguide from LOR http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/LOR160xW_UserGuide.pdf

Page 9 shows the power info you are looking for.

Tom

Thats okay but doesn't really answer my questions:(

Please bare in mind I am only 17 with avaerage electronics experience and little LOR experience.:laughing:

okay I had a look at that link Each channel can have 8 AMPs and theres 16 channels total BUT am I correct in saying I can only have so many AMPS being drawn on each side of the board??

Karl