Light-O-Rama Forums

USB dongle in ESXi 4.1

daunce

Coming from the Server Admin side - I have several ESXi VMs, and have used several USB Storage devices on some of the older VM Server OS's.

I dont see any reason why it wouldnt work, but have to wonder what the practical use is. I suppose if you had very limited space, and ESXi allready on a box....

S2 is so light on resources, I just assume grab an old junker pc and throw it in the garrage.

The dongle is basically a serial port - Its not a terribly complex device or driver, so I think it would run just fine.

gizmomkr wrote:

Coming from the Server Admin side - I have several ESXi VMs, and have used several USB Storage devices on some of the older VM Server OS's.

Wow. Didn't know people moved that quick. ESX only supported USB passthrough last month. We are still contemplating upgrading vcentre.

I dont see any reason why it wouldnt work, but have to wonder what the practical use is. I suppose if you had very limited space, and ESXi allready on a box....

S2 is so light on resources, I just assume grab an old junker pc and throw it in the garrage.

I already have a test server from work running ESX4.0. I dont want another physical machine running if I can help it.

I'm waiting on my controllers and accessories. In the meantime, i might upgrade to 4.1 then.

• 3 weeks later...

Backup and restore is far easier, is the biggest reason I can think of. So fore example you create your LOR environment (maybe a XP Virtual Machine). when you get everything just the way you want it then backup the virtual disk file somewhere. Then if you have a Hard drive failure you simply replace the drive, load ESX and copy the VM back and your up. Or you could re-install XP and sit through all the 100+ hot fixes, service packs, optional, and hardware updates.

-Pat

Spoke to soon. The show is now running from my VM. I had to switch around the comm ports in the LOR hardware utility. I also had to install a serial port on the VM in addition to the USB controller. Going to further test tonight with audio and see if there is any lag.

• 2 months later...

Just thought I would confirm the USB adapter does work in ESXi4.1.

By following the vmware doco on adding a usb controller/device and installing the drivers from ftdichip, the hardware utility picks up the controller and the lights work.

Only problem is the audio. (no audio devices in VM's on esx) so it wont play any musical sequences.

I'm looking at a USB sound card and see if that also works with USB passthrough.