Light-O-Rama Forums

Incoming Feeds to LOR

Guest guest

How do you guys do your incoming feeds to your LOR boxes? I have 6 of them, all of which are no more than 10-15 feet from my exterior outlets. Currently I have a 14 gauge 3 foot mail cord connected to the box. Then I have a 12 gauge 100 foot extension cord running to the outlet. So, I needed 10-15 feet, but it was almost as cheap to buy the 100 foot, so thus I have piles and piles of extension cord.

This got me thinking... Couldn't I just buy some 15 amp male plugs at Home Depot, then hack the extension cords to proper sizes? I could also put a female end on to connect to my 3 foot cord connected to lor, but why? Why not just connect the cord directly? Can you fit 12 gauge stranded cord into those connectors??

What is everyone else doing?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Thats what I did. The run to my LOR box is about 25', so I bought a #12 wire 100' ext cord and cut it to two 30' lengths( needed two 20 amp feeds to box) and the 40' extra with the female end will be a ext cord. Just add on a male end to the one cord and your set.............Mike

Yes, that will work fine. If you're board has the black terminal strip, like on the CTB16D, they are rated for 20 amps and 12 guagw will fit. I don't think 12 guage will fit in the blue strips. If your cords are only a few feet long, 14 guage will be fine for 20 amps. If you make them longer than 10 feet or so, you need to go to 12 though.