Light-O-Rama Forums

ziptie-ing rgbw moini strings together for outlining

TJ Hvasta

I want to "braid" r, g, b, & w mini strings together for outlining/color changing the house and zip-tie them to 1/2"pvc to clip to the eaves..

Would you stagger the sockets of the rgbw mini strings, or keep the sockets together?

I sort of have half-an idea to hot-glue the sockets together, side-by-side, makes zipping them to the pvc or brackets easier but might look glob-ular? If a bulb goes bad, would give a little more stable grip to pull the bad bulb out. Wouldn't imagine a string going bad (still hotglued together)..

I tried braiding mine . . . what a pain in the SSS. I had 35 sets to do.

So I hooked one string (green) up to a saw horse and the other my son held in his hand to add tension. Taped the next string (Red) on to the plug end and then twisted it to the right, taping it on the other end. Next string (Blue) and twisted it to the left, taping it one the end. I only had three colors. Then every 18" or so tape all three together.

I only worried about the strings lining up on the end, not each bulb.

BTW - Zip ties can cut up a hand when handling, especially in cool weather. Ouch!

I RGB all my strings. I never wind in white because it wahes out or dilutes the other colors IMHO. If 4" spacing, no need to line up bulb to bulb. Mix your colors -

R + B = magenta

B + G = cyan

R + G = yellow

R + G + B = white

Scott, what tape did you use? When I use electrical tape, it tends to pull apart and leave sticky residue..

GS, you dont add a string of white, just mix the color? I was going to add a white string for color changing.. I didnt think r+g+b would be mixed enough to produce white..

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Scott, what tape did you use? When I use electrical tape, it tends to pull apart and leave sticky residue..

GS, you dont add a string of white, just mix the color? I was going to add a white string for color changing.. I didnt think r+g+b would be mixed enough to produce white..

I have used white in the past. The white only served as white and did not blend well with the other colors. RGB gives you 7, 100% on, color options. Plenty of choices for smooth color changes. If you have extra $ and channels add white it will never hurt.

I do use white for single color applications.

Glenn

Last year I made 14 intertwined W and multi colored sets. I just intertwined the bulbs. every few from one set in to the other(ex stuck the white bulb through the wire of the color set), the best look is if you do every bulb. It take awhile but looks really nice done. I would recommend trying to line up the plugs if you can, but I would not worry about trying to line up the bulbs, unless you plan to mix colors.