Light-O-Rama Forums

Adding up Minutes and Seconds - easy way?

jim6918

jimswinder wrote:

ErnieHorning wrote:
jimswinder wrote:
In Excel...

That's cheating!:D

What if you're stranded on a deserted island and you need to know the total time you've actually spent trying to catch a fish?

I thought fishermen didn't CARE how long it took to catch a fish....as long as they had another beer to open...:)

Agreed..and obviously you would have taken steps to not be stranded on a desert island without your laptop...:)

Another thread, veering wildly off course...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimswinder

• jim6918

• ErnieHorning

• TJ Hvasta

DonFL wrote:

Agreed..and obviously you would have taken steps to not be stranded on a desert island without your laptop...:D

I would need my laptop, LOR controllers, LED's, FM Transmitter...

would make a FANTASTIC "HELP" so I could be rescued!!!

jimswinder wrote:

DonFL wrote:
Agreed..and obviously you would have taken steps to not be stranded on a desert island without your laptop...:D

I would need my laptop, LOR controllers, LED's, FM Transmitter...

would make a FANTASTIC "HELP" so I could be rescued!!!

I knew jimswinder would jump in, I just didn't think it would take him so long. Must have been on that desert island for a day or two.

jim6918 wrote:

I knew jisminder would jump in, I just didn't think it would take him so long. Must have been on that desert island for a day or two.

Sorry...my desktop finally crashed (couldn't handle my 500 channels and LOR!!) So was without one for a few days as I tried to fix it (unsuccessful).

Looks like a new hard drive and reloading my OS is in order.

So were you able to get it to work in Excel?

jimswinder wrote:

jim6918 wrote:
I knew jisminder would jump in, I just didn't think it would take him so long. Must have been on that desert island for a day or two.

Sorry...my desktop finally crashed (couldn't handle my 500 channels and LOR!!) So was without one for a few days as I tried to fix it (unsuccessful).

Looks like a new hard drive and reloading my OS is in order.

So were you able to get it to work in Excel?

I am at work right now, but wil try in a day or so at home. Thanks

jim6918 wrote:

No excel at work?? sarcastic_smile.gif

jimswinder wrote:

jim6918 wrote:

But of course, it's just that today is like Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday all rolled up into one. I shouldn't even be browsing the forum. LOL

jim6918 wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
jim6918 wrote:

But of course, it's just that today is like Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday all rolled up into one. I shouldn't even be browsing the forum. LOL

You had one of those mondays too, eh?

Now I don't feel so alone..:D

I haven't tried the whole 940 method, but I usually add up times by rounding to the nearest quarter minute and just keeping track of the + or - difference from each time added. I can quickly add them up in my head and then add or subtract the difference to the sum at the end and get the answer

2:14
3:55
1:33

become
2.25 (-1)
4.0 (-5)
1.5 (+3)

7.25 (-6 seconds) = 7:09

Phil, you rolled the 2:14 to 2:25..

Not "2:25", "2.25". He's saying that two minutes and fourteen seconds is (about) two and a quarter minutes, i.e. two point two five minutes.

ErnieHorning wrote:

OK I'll fess up, adding 40 doesn't work either.

I don't mind being wrong, I just hate admitting to it.:) It does motivate me though so, here's how ya do it.

As long as the total doesn't exceed 60 minutes, just add all the times together. If the last two digits are 60 or greater, add 40.

I verified that every addition up to 59:59 works.

I'm still working on that perpetual motion thing.:)

LOL....

Again...Excel will do it for you...no rounding up or down, just enter the EXACT times and you will get an EXACT number....

Tik Tok...Tik Tok...

jimswinder wrote:

LOL....

Again...Excel will do it for you...no rounding up or down, just enter the EXACT times and you will get an EXACT number....

Tik Tok...Tik Tok...

I thought we already agreed you couldn't use Excel on a desert island...

DonFL wrote:

If I am on a Desert Island...why am I worried about keeping time?

I would just be worried about keeping Wilson inflated... ids_emoticon_soccer.gif

Well, this is certainly one of the more interesting threads I've started, unless you count the one about me being afraid of soldering.

In all due respect to the my friend the learned jimswinder, he just helped me remember why I hate Excel. I just can't use it, I hate it, and I have a mental block about ever trying to learn. Too many steps just to format the cells, and as soon as you change to another cell column you have to start over. Jeez. And, I just can't get into the rhythm of typing 00 Shift : Shift : . Maybe if I used it every day it would be different.

I am following the add 40, subtract 940 discussion very closely, but have to admit it never seems to work for me every time in every situation. Taking a cue from our friend in the Sunshine State, I searched the Web for a time calculator that would be easy to use. Almost all of the ones I found have the same keystroke issues with numbers and colons.

I did find one that has alot of merit:

http://www.scottseverance.us/html/time_calculator.htm

It is actually a desktop calculator that has a colon key built right in.

Thought I would pass on the link for info.

jim6918 wrote:

I did find one that has alot of merit:
http://www.scottseverance.us/html/time_calculator.htm
It is actually a desktop calculator that has a colon key built right in.

Thought I would pass on the link for info.

I like it!!!!

But I'll stick to Excel!! LOL It sounds like you might have picked the wrong Cell Formatting...should have picked the one under TIME that was 13:30.

Send me your times and I will make you a Spreadsheet that even YOU can use!!! confused_smile.gif

EDIT:

Thought I had your email address...but could not find it. If you send it to me, I'll send a spreadsheet I just made for ya!!

Anyone who would like it, just PM me your email address...

the second set of numbers are in decimal format, not time format such that 1 minute and 15 seconds becomes 1.25 minutes (the punctuations marks are small but not that small)

of course, after I submitted this reply I realized the answer was on the next page - DOH!

jimswinder wrote:

DonFL wrote:

If I am on a Desert Island...why am I worried about keeping time?

I would just be worried about keeping Wilson inflated... ids_emoticon_soccer.gif

Thanks for the laugh, Jim. That was pretty comical :dude:

Jeff Millard wrote:

I LOVE YOU GUYS! :cool: It'll be about three days before this smile wears off...

J

Hey Jeff...

when your Avatar guy rolls away,

do his hands follow him like Thing?