Light-O-Rama Forums

Sigh....maybe LOR III

David Barnett

ok folks, as mentioned I'm on a 4 day trip....from hell based on today.:P

At any rate, OK Jimswinder has brought up a point I didn't consider. That is, if I select multiple non-contiguous effects along a particular row; when pasting them in another channel/row they wouldn't be in the proper place. if that is the case, then the non-contiguous wouldn't work at all. I'll try this once more, hopefully I can explain so the light bulb kicks off.

As mentioned, when I started the edit of the song, the original setup, was only 22 channels. Due to additions I now had 100 channels.

so, I did the suggestion of adding/importing channels/config below my new setup of 100.

So, I now have 100 empty/labeld channels for my new setup; and below my original 22 channel seq. layout, to use to copy/paste to the new layout of 100 channels.

Hope that makes sense. I just followed the guidelines from the info in thread about how to add channels to an existing seq.

So, now I have 100 blank channels, and below that 22 channels from my previous years sequence. In this case "O Holly Night " by Jewel.

Ok, on the old seq, I just had some lights on..fade..off to the guitar part. For the new seq, I decided to create a look of the strand of lights on...fade..off to the arpeggio guitar part. Instaed of tree lights going across the tree with 6 channels; I now had 10 hannels of hi,mid,low...red and green and the trunk being red and green as well.

So, last year when doing this, I listened to the guitar section over and over to determine were the hi,mid,low guitar parts were located.

In listening, wanting red lights first to represent strings, then turn to green for it's representaiion of the guitar, I began to edit. I'll try and give step by step.

1. I used the arrow keys to move to the beginnig of the first on...fade...off part of the guitar part....this represented the red strand of lights on the tree, depicting the high note of the guitar.

2. Held the shift key down and used the arrow keys to select the end of the cell/effect.

3. Hit ctrl C to copy selection.

4. I then hit the left pointing arrow to close the selection box back to the left or beginning of the selection, I discovered that it closes off to the right or the end of your selction.

5. move the black box(cell selection cursor) to the beginning of the selection again.

6. I then move, the cursor up innto the new seq, channel red high tree; and paste...this ensures I have the timing the same for the new sequence edit.

7. Re listen to the song to determine and write down, all my high red tree light sections. In this song, there were approx. 50 in this almost 4 min song...at least I think so,If I totally recall..this was last year..would have to recount. Let's jsut say numerous times I would need to repeat for the high red tree light parts.

8. repeated the same procedure to cover my red light section. I figured it was about every 4-5th cell/effect section covering approx. 15 cells to copy/paste. So in other words, my first selection was approx. cell #10-25 Channel 5 of the old seq.(keep timing correct). Then the next cell/effect selction would have been cell(s) 85-100; ie counting over 4 sets of effects covering 15 cells; or 60 cells, before pasting the next section of effects...and so on.

9. After doing this for a few hours, partly due to the contiual selction closing on the end of selction and not beginning; as mentioned, my wrist and back were very uncomfortable. Hence my wish for the non-contiguous multiple selection copy/paste.

As mentioned, will try again.

In this case, to me moving up the old seq. channel to the new seq, would have been rather confusing for me. So, I needed to copy/paste as I did.

In the context of the copy/paste I'm talking about.

So, in that context, I felt; if I could have gone through my entire old seq. selected ALL my red light cell/effects needed for the high guitar/tree section of the song, then with ALL thos selections selcted,copied via ctrl c; I could simply move the selection cursor(black box) back to the first cell/effect(ie the on...fade...off, for guitar part)...then move that cursor from the bottom of the old seq. all the way to the top of the grid for the new seq, so the timing is still correct; and paste at that cell.

So, now my ENTIRE section I needed for the red high tree light strand guitar part is done. Trying to draw the effect, would take time also; because I would still have to move to the bottom of the grid and back up several times to accomplish.

Whereas, with the non-contiguous copy paste, I just had to select/hilight my sections needed and move up to appropriate cell and paste.

Now, based on JImswinders response, the copy paste would have to put the cell selction and effects in the exact same place; as it was from the old seq.

If it just put it in a row at not in the original cells from the old seq.; it is a moot point...this would not be beneficial at all.

As an example,hopefully to clear things up OK.

Lets say you have a section that contains 100 cells for simplicity.

OK, now lets say you have an effect every 10 cells skip 10 cells and then another effect for those 10 cells.

So you have cells 1-10(effect,ie on..fade or whatever); then the next 10 cells are off or no effect then the next or following 10 cells have the on..fade again; and so on)

OK, so essentially you'll have 10 cells across your channel row with an effect running for 10 cells...then 10 cells off and then 10 with effect and so on untill you cover your 100 cells.

Ok, with that picture, let's say you want the first 10 cells with effects, and then you want every other cell/effect area to be seelcted to copy/paste or whatever(not the cell OFF stuff; jsut the cell(s)/effect areas. So, essentially, you'll then have 5 cell/effect areas...non-contiguously you have selected, to copy/paste as needed into a new channel area.

However, in your selections, it would paste them the same as you selected them.

ie: you select cells/effect 1-10, then it may be cells/effect 30-40, then say cell/effect 70-80...or however you need too. This is just an example, of possible combinations.

So, let's say you are pasting these selections in your new channel layout...using channel 3.

So, if done in the selctions from the old seq, it would paste everything you had selected, first cell/effect ...channel 3 cells 1-10; then there would be a section of effects in cell(s) 30-40...then skip until cell(s) 70-80 for the last section of effects.

According to jimswinder though, the pasting would be the cells basicallly in order; cells 1-10, then 11-21(10 Cells) and 22-32(10 cells)...or something to that situation.

I'm talking about, were ever your cells/effect are selected on the old seq, then when moved up to the new seq, (channel 3 as per example) they would paste in the cell/row just as they were selected from the old seq.

I don't really know how else to explain what I'm trying to convey. Perhaps it's jsut my explanations throwing everyone off,...don't know. Maybe this will help clear things up somewhat.

If not, I think it's best I give up...and try and figure something out for myself.

Once again, I tried folks.

Best,

David

I think I understand...and unfortunately, I think the best solution would be to COPY the ENTIRE row, PASTE that in your new channel, then DELETE any unwanted cell effects...

I don't know if it would be possible to write a program like that. How would it know if you wanted the cells between what you selected or not.

In your case, you wanted the cell spacing between your selected cells...someone else may not.

It sounds like you want to take the guitar part and expand it

You have 1 old channel that handled the effect last year and want to increase it.

Ok If I have this wrong ignore the rest.

When I do a sequence I start with the singing and put everything on one track.

When I come to the end I copy this track to all the other singers.

At this point everyone is singing all the vocals.

I then listen and start removing the parts that don't belong.

If I were you I would take that one track and paste it onto everyone of the guitar tracks and remove what don't belong. It should go fast because removing effects is a whole lot easier and faster than adding effects.

Again if I am wrong ignore me.

This post is not a comment on the multiple selections but rather a brain storming on ways to accomplish the original task with the tools available.

One of the issues had to do with copy/paste and moving around in the sequence. It seems that if the channels involved has all been moved together then the new channels could have been just drawn in based on the values in the original channel which is not directly ajacent to the new channel.

If it is inconvenient to move the channels around then they can be copied to a new track that would contain only the channels that you are working on. When finished you could then just delete tha track. (the effects would be in the original track as well).

The copy everything and delete what you do not want also sounds reasonable

Dan

Dan:

Is it possible that what David wants it to do is this:

Copy the events in a row (Blank cells and Non-Blank cells), but when you Paste it, just Paste the Non-Blank cells, AND if there is already an event in a cell (in the new Channel Row you are pasting to) leave that cell as is, in other words, don't Paste over it with a Blank cell.

If this is the case, doesn't your new Foreground/Background tool do that?

Not that I know, because I have not had an opportunity to play with those tools yet.

jimswinder wrote:

Dan:

Is it possible that what David wants it to do is this:

Copy the events in a row (Blank cells and Non-Blank cells), but when you Paste it, just Paste the Non-Blank cells, AND if there is already an event in a cell (in the new Channel Row you are pasting to) leave that cell as is, in other words, don't Paste over it with a Blank cell.

If this is the case, doesn't your new Foreground/Background tool do that?

Not that I know, because I have not had an opportunity to play with those tools yet.

If that is what he wants to do then yes the (Paste to foreground) will do that.

Dan

Ok folks. read all the input...Thank You.

I am done. Thank You for listening.

Thank You Dan, for the addition of being able to select multiple sequences in the hardware utility now; that will help immensily those of us using a show director MP3.

I wish each and everyone of you, a kick butt show this Holiday Season.

Best,

David

David Barnett wrote:

Sounds like we were unsuccessful in answering your question...

bummer...

David Barnett wrote:

1. I used the arrow keys to move to the beginnig of the first on...fade...off part of the guitar part....this represented the red strand of lights on the tree, depicting the high note of the guitar.

2. Held the shift key down and used the arrow keys to select the end of the cell/effect.

3. Hit ctrl C to copy selection.

4. I then hit the left pointing arrow to close the selection box back to the left or beginning of the selection, I discovered that it closes off to the right or the end of your selction.

This isn't your complete solution, but it would make the steps you described above much easier:
  1. Instead of starting at the beginning of the effect you want to copy, move the selection to the end of the effect.
  2. Hold the shift key down and use the left arrow key to expand the selection to the beginning of the effect.
  3. Hit Control-C to copy.
  4. Now use the Up (or Down) key. The selected cell will remain at the beginning of the effect you just copied.

jimswinder wrote:

David Barnett wrote:

Sounds like we were unsuccessful in answering your question...

bummer...

Hard to tell?!?!?!!?

Guest wbottomley

That answer would be no.

Anyway... let's begin.

Open any sequence up.

Then, make sure the select button on the tool bar is selected.

Now... on any channel, select 5 cells in a row.

Let's select more.

To keep the current ones selected, press and hold the ctrl key and select 5 more somewhere else. :X

I know, you can't do that.

This is the benefit that David is talking about. That benefit would save time and steps in the end.

Ok, I am reading about all of the technical ways to program. I grew up in a MAC world of straight forward simple cut and paste and draw to get what you wanted.

In my mind having the software setup where you have drawn all of your display and then being able to simply select the effect you want with a paint brush and apply it to your drawing layout as you want it would be a very nice simple way to get many of the effects that you want.

I know that would not work for many of the more complex layouts but for beginners just getting started and wanting to customize there display it would be a nice place to start.

Mountainwxman wrote:

This is the benefit that David is talking about. That benefit would save time and steps in the end.

I don't see the time savings over just copying everything and deleting what you don't want. Besides, all of the scrolling that was mentioned would be a huge time killer.

On the other hand if this did get implemented, you could select everything you didn't want and just hit delete once.:D

I think all this talk is just waisting LOR's time. They need to move forward and not backwards on copy, and cut & past stuff that works just fine the way it is.

The new RGB tool is grate. Thanks Dan.

I would like to see LOR work on a Matrix tool and a way to import video files into the sequence for lighting efx. Kind of like LSP. I am sure Dan and the guys are already working on it.

Steve

Steve Constantino wrote:

I think all this talk is just wasting LOR's time.

LOL...you think this forum dictates what Dan and Bob do????? 1511767.GIF

Not that they don't read the thoughts here and consider them...

Guest wbottomley

jimswinder wrote:

Steve Constantino wrote:

LOL...you think this forum dictates what Dan and Bob do?????     1511767.GIF

Thank you Jim.

Your thoughts are much more civil than mine.

I think he's wasting time on posting jargon here too.

Mountainwxman wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
Steve Constantino wrote:

LOL...you think this forum dictates what Dan and Bob do????? 1511767.GIF

Thank you Jim.

Your thoughts are much more civil than mine.

I think he's wasting time on posting jargon here too.

WOW!!!

"I think he's wasting time on posting jargon here too." I guess I had that coming.

I don't think the forum dictates what LOR does but I would like to think Dan and Bob do care what we think.

Steve