Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR Question

csimmon5

Clay,

Thank you! I'm a macro virgin no longer! But I tend to side with Mel in that the macros are unnecessarily difficult to use, especially with 2.8 now. Or maybe they just need to be explained better. I don't know what you explained differently than the manual but it worked! If I was Dan you'd be hired. (But then, if I was Dan I'd already know everything about macros and wouldn't need your help... hmmm...) Anyway, thanks again.

George,

I agree with Mel that for his star application and probably many others it would be easier to avoid the macros. However I can also see many instances where they would be easier as well. You have to agree that not having to scroll through 50 channels per ribbon is kinda nice though. But in some sequences I will do exactly that.

I am using both methods depending on the sequence and application that I am using the CCR for.

Like everything else we do here, what works for one of us may not work for someone else.

Clay

melwelch wrote:

I do not advocate using macros...  Too limiting in what you can do and too hard to use....  There is nothing you can do with macros that I can't do without...  Yet there is a ton of stuff I can do without macros that macros can't do... 

I know I keep harping about do not use macros...  The reason is the newbie trying to do sequences will think "Macros...  That will make it easy to program..."  In this case that is not true...  I have yet to come to a situation and say "I need to do that with a macro"..  

Totally disagree. My 8 CCRs will be done this year with 95% macros. They are much easier to use than standard programming and much much faster to program and change. Programming each pixel sends 1000s of unneeded commands across the network which could be accomplished with just a few. The 10 macro options provide a lot of different patterns and are very flexible. The macros can do things that simply can not be done with the chase tool. I can change one channel from 42 to 24 and completely give a new look to a chase in moments with out changing 50 RGB channels. (used to be 150 so its a little better.)

Anyone who wants help understanding and using macros is welcome to ask for help and examples. I have used both and prefer the macro by far. No need to dismiss a valuable option that is easy once you get used to it. Dan has posted that additional improvements to aid macro use are planned. So throwing macros out as a viable and useful option is

Question #1

I know you can hover over a cell and see what is in the cell.

But how do you preset the macro levels as most are in the 1-17 range that they are hard to see in the sequence?

Not easy to see what some marco settings are in the cells.

Dennis Cherry wrote:

Question #1

But how do you preset the macro levels as most are in the 1-17 range that they are hard to see in the sequence?

Last year I used the Set Intensity Tool, which if I remember had 10 custom settings, and I defined some of the weird numbers I needed.

I remember enabling the DMX and using some DMX tool to do some too.

I agree it would be better if those LR, MM, MS etc channels had some better way to show the value visually. I used the hover alot with them.

Ed P wrote:

Dennis Cherry wrote:
Question #1

Last year I used the Set Intensity Tool, which if I remember had 10 custom settings, and I defined some of the weird numbers I needed.

I remember enabling the DMX and using some DMX tool to do some too.

I agree it would be better if those LR, MM, MS etc channels had some better way to show the value visually. I used the hover a lot with them.

I was thinking about having numbers in the cells for the macros. Minimum timing would have to be 1/10 second, the numbers probably would not show at .05 second intervals.

Macro cells could have a right mouse button option of intensity levels. Just select the amount of cells you want to set an intensity and use the pull down menu.

Just a thought.

HowardShank wrote:

I posted a number of small tutorial sequences regarding the CCR. You can find them here.

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum89/21242.html

Hi Howard ... I came on the forum to thank you for all of your hard work ... I really appreciated it and meant to thank you earlier in the year.

I had a question to ask, but became sidetracked by Bob's new program ...

However, my question re the macros ... if you want to add channels to an existing sequence, do you add the 13 (as in 2 x rgb + the 7 macros) and rename them or do you add all of the 157?

kel wrote:

HowardShank wrote:
I posted a number of small tutorial sequences regarding the CCR. You can find them here.

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum89/21242.html

Hi Howard ... I came on the forum to thank you for all of your hard work ... I really appreciated it and meant to thank you earlier in the year.

I had a question to ask, but became sidetracked by Bob's new program ...

However, my question re the macros ... if you want to add channels to an existing sequence, do you add the 13 (as in 2 x rgb + the 7 macros) and rename them or do you add all of the 157?

It is only necessary to add the specific channels you wish to actually use.

• The topic was locked