Light-O-Rama Forums

When Do You Start Setting Up Your Display?

crabtreechristmas

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PaulXmas

• rgardner518

• KenL_MCSE

• Bob Wingert

Not a pro but I'll respond.

I light up the display on Thanksgiving evening so I start somewhat early.

I hang the icicle lights on the house the weekend following Halloween. The weekend after that I set up all of the larger display items and start making electrical and network connections. The weekend after that is for setting out the remainder of the display, finishing the electrical and network and testing.

Living in Minnesota I have learned it is much easier to set up when you aren't fighting freezing temps and snow.

basis21b wrote:

Not a pro but I'll respond.

I light up the display on Thanksgiving evening so I start somewhat early.

I hang the icicle lights on the house the weekend following Halloween.
Living in Minnesota I have learned it is much easier to set up when you aren't fighting freezing temps and snow.

Since our thanksgiving is in Oct. that is not a good time to turn on the lights, but I try and wait until December 1st but occasionally I turn the lights on on the last weekend of November.

I like to put my lights on my bushes and house in mid- October because November here can be bitter cold, nevertheless I take my time and set up the remainder of the display most of November.

Whether it cold,snows or whatever the lights go up. I won't put any lawn decorations out before Halloween. I generally wait until the 3rd week in November to do that.

Even though I had no visitors for 5 days during the super cold spell I can honestly say that the show ran great even in -46.2c or -51F.

I like to wrap my trees (the least noticeable) during the first few weekends in November when it's still a little warmer out. The week before and mostly the week of Thanksgiving I put everything else out so I can be ready to flip the switch on the day after Thanksgiving.

I'm building my own landscape lighting so I can do whatever whenever. Sorry, not revealing what I'm doing, but the main Christmas stuff will start the morning of Nov. 1st.

The planning and sequencing, hand wiring led's is going to be year round for me for a while anyhow. This is my second year with animated lights, first year with LOR. I already have plans for next year. I used to be a frequent diver, but since I started with this I've hardly been in the water. What surprises me, is that I'm not missing it much and mulling over in my head about selling my equipment to reinvest in this obsession.

Lights come on Thanksgiving Night...so depending on the weather forecast, I might start setting up the first weekend in November (if the weather is nice)..don't won't to miss an opportunity to put them in decent weather. The weather can turn fast here in Seattle...and sometimes it's nice till the end of December...like last year.

Guest wbottomley

I start setting up the first weekend in October with the little things.

After that comes the bigger items towards light-up time.

Light up time for me is Thanksgiving night.

Tough question to answer... does the stuff I'm testing now count since some of it will stay out in the yard between now and first light on Thanksgiving night? Everything else will start going out in October, depending on when yard work gets finished for the season. I, too, like getting as much as possible done before I need to start wearing gloves.

I agree with those that say they start before it gets too cold. last year I started the last weekend of october. I got the high stuff and larger build ups done then. I also need to start a little early because of my busy work schedule the last two weeks of November.

Not a PRO second year with LOR.

We decorate the yard for Halloween so the lights (the ones I use for Halloween and the ones I use for Christmas) on the house go up mid October.

Once Halloween is done I remove all the decorations (since the lights I use for Halloween are only on the house and around the windows I leave them up).

This year I think I will be spending 2 weekends just running power from the controllers to were the elements are going to be.

The second weekend in Nov I should start bringing out the decorations.

Since Dec 1st falls on a Wed this year we "MIGHT" turn the lights on Nov 26.

PaulXmas wrote:

The second weekend in Nov I should start bringing out the decorations.

Since Dec 1st falls on a Wed this year we "MIGHT" turn the lights on Nov 26.

I usually wait to bring the decorations out until closer to light up. Last few days before the lights come on............. Security issue I guess.

I guess I worry more on that than you do Paul and I live a good hour from Edmonton and I would have thought you would be more cautious about putting lawn decorations out.

Good point on Dec.1st, so I will turn the lights on November 29th.

Need help setting up? I should have help again this year so I am O K, but I would be glad to help you out.

Again another none pro,

And this is my 2nd year. I will start first week of Nov. Hopefully have everthing arranged the week before Thanksgiving. Use the last week to tweek a few songs. Go lights on and run shows Friday after thanksgiving.

Worried about theif and vandels, but wont let them control my life or show. Just do the best to alarm and intruder lights I can. Need to set some cash aside for cameras. Maybe next year.

started the last few weeks in sept last year wrapping trees. Than house was done by 1st week on nov. Lawn stuff doesn't go out till day before lights on, which was thanksgiving.

Cutting back this year, just doing full blown RGB floods and spots on everything. Started installing them all ready, since I am planning them to stay year around and use all the time. Been running shows all ready....just slow fades between colors to drive neighbors crazy. Fades take as long as 30 minutes to transition.

I start on the 15th of October. I start with lights on the house and try to get all the ladder work done early. I take the first week of Nov. off from work to really get in high gear and get most of the display at least set up during that week. After everything is set I go back to do the wiring. I used to do the back yard first but always ended up rushing to get the Show running in the front yard. Last year I wired the show first and had it ready to go a week before lightup and then just had the back yard to wire. It was much easier but a little confusing in the front yard with Halloween decorations mixed in with some Christmas items like my arches and starpoles.

The day after Halloween. I start tearing down my Halloween show and start putting up my Christmas show. I schedule a week of vacation following Thanksgiving in case bad weather delays me. I try to light up Thanksgiving night.

My second year with LOR. I am building another 6 mini trees this weekend for a total of 24. I always do a huge Halloween display that takes a couple of weekends to haul over and layout. In 2009, it was a hell of a lot of work taking it down on November 1st and putting up the new LOR display so I could flip the switch on Thanksgiving. Afraid that this year I am cutting out the Halloween display, except for a token amount of stuff. With my son going off to college, I won't have his help to haul stuff out of storage and climb ladders, etc. Hate to do it, but the LOR is just too important now, and HW is just one night and the Christmas display runs about 5 weeks. Sure gonna be a boat load of sad TOT'ers. I have two new controllers to put together too, and changing whole house outline, doors and windows to C9 LED.

Jeez, what am I doing typing this, I gotta get busy.

Starting earlier this year and NOT waiting until the last week before Thanksgiving. Should be able to mow on the last weekend before Thanksgiving and have all the yard items installed and flip the switch (actually LOR will kick in) on the next Friday. This is my 4th year with LOR and now up to 5 controllers.