Light-O-Rama Forums

noise filters

Philip

Well,

over the years it's come up several times about CFLs, but they cause too much feedback on the cords. I saw where it was mentioned that you can use the XPPF X10 noise filters to remedy the situation, but am wondering if anyone has actually done this and could report on thier effectiveness?

I'm looking at trying to sequence my black lights back in to my Halloween show, but have to overcome this hurdle to get there. (I don't need to fade them)

I know that when I measure the line noise on an unfiltered CFL, it is dirty (at least the few CFLs I have used) and it will mask all X10 traffic.

Installing the filters (I use them on all wall wart and computer power supplies also) I can get a much cleaner power line with no X10 signal problems

I have never connected a CFL to a PWM line output of a LOR controller though. Not too sure if the CFL would even like the PWM 120 volts

Since all CFLs do not necessarily behave the same, my suggestion is to try it with the CFLs you have.

What might work for one person might not for the next.

I guess I wasn't 100% clear about this

I'm not using X10 for the lighting, but trying to hook the lights to my LOR-CTBPC controller, but you can't do this due to the feedback from the CFLs. It will majorly screw with the controllers and other lights.

I was thinking that maybe using the filter as an inline option between the LOR controller and the CFL

Philip wrote:

I guess I wasn't 100% clear about this

I'm not using X10 for the lighting, but trying to hook the lights to my LOR-CTBPC controller, but you can't do this due to the feedback from the CFLs. It will majorly screw with the controllers and other lights.

I was thinking that maybe using the filter as an inline option between the LOR controller and the CFL

Philip - as a quick and easy test fix, you can make a simple common mode choke on the line feeding your CFLs.

Pickup a ferrite choke (solid, or the split chokes that snap together to make a solid ring), and wrap the power line feed to the CFL through it about 7 times (the number of turns vary, based on the device, but I am trying to keep it simple). Make sure the wraps are in one direction.

Then use your controller with the CFLs, and see how things work out for you.

I have used them (obviously not for fades..), and have had no issues.

Greg