Light-O-Rama Forums

New Sequencing Software

jimswinder

shfr26 wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
shfr26 wrote:
What, no whipped cream???

Not for me...don't even like it on my Pumpkin Pie...

That is UNAMERICAN!!:shock:

Well...my folks are from England...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimswinder

• rstately

• Max-Paul

• shfr26

jimswinder wrote:

shfr26 wrote:
jimswinder wrote:
shfr26 wrote:
What, no whipped cream???

Not for me...don't even like it on my Pumpkin Pie...

That is UNAMERICAN!!:shock:

Well...my folks are from England...

Do you like your beer at room temp, as well??:P

Tim Herberger wrote:

Do you like your beer at room temp, as well??:(

Never acquired a taste for beer...

I know...that is UNAMERICAN!!! :P

Ok, I don't want you're lights or your controllers.

I knew there was a reason you did not do a forth of july display!

Are you going to do a Guy Fawkes & the gunpowder plot show?

What kind of guy dose not drink beer?
You prefer a white wine spritzer with your crumpet ?

:P
I still like you, the english are so irresistible.
Do you have that charming Cockney accent?

rstately wrote:

<<<<<<< Does not drink beer :P

rstately wrote:

I still like you, the english are so irresistible.
Do you have that charming Cockney accent?

No accent...but my cockney IS quite charming!! :shock:

wallleyes wrote:

rstately wrote:

<<<<<<< Does not drink beer :P

Proof that I was drinking beer!:(

ceniam wrote:

I like beer so much I have 6 on tap at home

When I was younger I used to have a 6 pack, now I have a keg!:P

OK, not to be a party pooper, lets get back on track now. I know he said a few weeks, but where's the new software already?:)

kzaas wrote:

OK, not to be a party pooper, lets get back on track now. I know he said a few weeks, but where's the new software already?:)

It's only been two days...

boy...and I thought I was impatient!! :)

Anybody hear what's new in the upcoming release? I heard about fade control setting light characteristics on the controller, what else is planned?

I would like to apologize for Jim's behavior on this thread.
But in his defense, there isn't much to talk about the software, it would only be speculation.
Nobody, especially Jim, would want to fill a thread with useless none sense!

So please accept my deepest apologies for Jim.

sincerely, Ron

P.S. I never did hear about that RGB string that LOR is coming out with?
Again Jim... :)

rstately wrote:

I would like to apologize for Jim's behavior on this thread.
But in his defense, there isn't much to talk about the software, it would only be speculation.
Nobody, especially Jim, would want to fill a thread with useless none sense!

So please accept my deepest apologies for Jim.

sincerely, Ron

P.S. I never did hear about that RGB string that LOR is coming out with?
Again Jim... :)

Hey!!! I never started the thread/rumor about an RGB string!!!
Which started here:

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=22437&forum_id=76&highlight=rgb+string

Everything else I take responsibility/credit for... :?

What I heard about the new sequence software is that it is MAINLY to make sequencing the CCR easier, though there will be some new stuff for us purists.

You took the RGB String thread, and turned it into a cow pun thread.
But thats Ok. :) Because like this thread, nothing is for sure untill the software is out. Then this thread will be Awesome!
Now back to the New Software...

Yes I heard there will be new features to make sequencing faster and easier...
If we go back to the N.J. mini thread and weed through all the goofing off, there were some answers mixed in there!

Hope this helps???

rstately wrote:

You took the RGB String thread, and turned it into a cow pun thread.

I beg to differ...

The cow started it by "meowing"

then cenote chimed in by saying don't you "moooooo"...

actually the cow started byu saying "The "meow" was for letting the proverbial "cat" out of the bag... Now "moooooooo"-ve on....

So Ron..quit trying to "stirrup" trouble!!!

I rest my case!! :P

Hopefully this will help get this discussion back on track. This was posted by Steve Lelinski over on PC back in June after he saw a demo by Dan at one of the minis. Not sure if all this is in the version to be released soon, or even further down the road.

I'm sorry, it's not going to be complete, but here's the best of my recollection of the software update:

Ease of Sequencing This seems to be the number one priority of LOR. They want sequencing to be easy and intuitive. Their end goal is to do things like, "Ok, I from 1.25 to 1.35 in the song, do this." And you sequence that. "From 1.55 to 2.00 do this." Then click a button and have it fill in a transition between those two things. This version isn't quite there, but is a step in that direction.

There's a new "Intelligent" tool. Click and drag from left to right, you'll get a fade up. Click and drag from right to left, get a fade down. Click the area between two fades, it'll turn on between them. Similarly, if you're on an RGB channel and you set it to be red at one point, blue at another, click between them and you'll get a cross fade between the two.

Dan mentioned that it works with shimmers and twinkles but didn't show it so it may not work yet. He did say that he was running the latest "stable" version and that not everything they've done so far was there.

In this same area, there's a lot of copy/paste type stuff. There's a "Repeat" tool. Select a portion of the sequence, hit repeat, and it pastes it right at the end of your selection. There's a "Chase" tool. Make the first object do what you want, then highlight the rest of the objects and the length of the chase and the tool will create your chase.

There's a "Paste Foreground" which will only paste to elements which are off. This preserves the tail end of chases and such as you're repeating them. Dan mentioned working on a "V" tool which would be like the chase, but would chase down and bounce back.

There are similar tools specifically for RGB. There is also an advanced clipboard which allows you to copy an object and permanently save it, so it can be pasted later or pasted in to other sequences. Similarly, there's a custom tool palate. If you do things like fade from 0 to 50 a lot, you can save that as your own custom tool.

Dan's idea is that he never wants something to be more than one click. Anything that currently takes multiple clicks, they're trying to find a way to simplify.

RGB You can add RGB channels to your sequence. They can be something like a CCR which does all the color mixing. It has a palate for color picking. These channels can also be three regular LOR channels. Like a mini tree with Red, Green, and Blue lights could be one RGB element. You can "expand" the RGB channel, to see the three sub channels and sequence them individually, or sequence them as a single RGB element. As I said, you can do fades from one color to another. There's a "Color Fade" tool which lets you pick a start color and an end color, then maps the fade/transition between them. Everything you can do with a regular channel you can do with an RGB channel, including the new Chase, Repeat, and Intelligent tools.

As an example, Dan used the color fade tool on one RGB channel to make it start out red, then cross fade to blue. He then used the chase tool to have that cross fade chase across 8 RGB channels. He then used the chase tool again to have it chase back the other way. He then used the intelligent tool to click in the center of the "V" of the case. That set the channels to blue between the chase. He clicked outside the chase and it set the channels to red. The end result was 8 elements that would come on red, then convert to blue in a chase, stay blue for a beat, then convert back to red in the other direction. All with just a few mouse clicks.

Firmware The firmware upgrade will give you the ability to "hardwire" a fade range in to each channel. If you put LEDs on channel 9, controller 3, you can set custom fade curves for that channel. Basically, if you've been programing your fades for LEDs to go from 10 to 40, rather than 0-100, you can set that for the channel. Now in every sequence, you do a fade like normal, 0 to 100, and it actually does the ramp from 10 to 40. There will be curves for all different colors, different manufactures...

Down the Road Dan also talked about a new visualizer which is vector based. Similar to what I've seen from Holiday Lights Designer, you'll click and drag a line, which will turn into a string of lights. It'll use font libraries to store pre-made elements, snowmen, mini trees... You'll be able to create your own elements. You'll be able to copy and paste. It'll have 16 depth layers to more accurately do front to back type things. I got the impression this was coming relatively soon, though not with the next update.

Dan mentioned he wants to start sequencing elements rather than channels. So you have one line for your mega tree instead of 64. You want to circle counter-clockwise, there's a button for that. Fade the whole tree red to blue, easy. He also mentioned arches as getting that same kind of treatment.

He talked about a project he's been working on using a game controller to sequence. He said he uses one with buttons and analog sticks. You map an arch to the analog stick, listen to the song and move the stick from left to right when you want the arches to jump. This will tie in to the beat wizard to accurately lock your movements in to the right timing.

He also talked a little about a project they're working on for "auto sequencing." The software will listen to the music and interpret it. Not just blink things to the beat, but understand motion. It'll understand the feeling of the music. He said a violin section might trigger blues and purples. That kind of thing.

New Hardware He mentioned they're working on new "Gen 2" controllers which have built in snubbers. This seems to be a way off, as they're still figuring logistics of the circuit board layout.

Upgrades It sounds like they're still not sure what exactly would trigger an "upgrade" which would cost money, or and update which would be free. He did say the price point they're thinking of when they do decide to trigger an upgrade is in the ballpark of $20 (very reasonable, methinks.)

The new software should go to beta testing this month with a goal of releasing it next month. I'm sure I forgot a bunch, but this is what stuck in my head.