Light-O-Rama Forums

How did he do that?

pabryang

I NEED!! to try and attempt to do what Scott Weber did in the 2009 contest winner with the helix mega tree. I have attempted several times with no success. Every time I spin the base ring of lights my helix gets sucked to the trunk support running up the tree.

Does anyone know how to get a hold of mr weber so i can ask him HOW THEY HECK HE DID THAT!!!

Scott, if you are reading this I am Mystified!

He tells all on his website:

http://weberchristmas.snappages.com/

Also check out this thread over on Planet Christmas. He put together a great Spiral Tree calculator:

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php/39539-Spiral-Tree-Calculating-Spreadsheet?highlight=excel

pabryang wrote:

Thanks...!!! I knew there had to be some kind of support cable to keep that perfect shape and the helix.

I have built a 20' Weber tree that goes together in less than 20 minutes, and that includes the 96 strings of C6 lights. I hope to have a video in a few weeks.

jimswinder wrote:

pabryang wrote:
Thanks...!!!   I knew there had to be some kind of support cable to keep that perfect shape and the helix.

I have built a 20' Weber tree that goes together in less than 20 minutes, and that includes the 96 strings of C6 lights. I hope to have a video in a few weeks.

i would like the details on that when you get a chance.

bwaldrep wrote:

i would like the details on that when you get a chance.

I will have a "How To" along with the video when I have it all done. Was hoping to have it last week, but had a "slight" design flaw in my tree that I thought I could improve on, so I took it apart and am in the process of rebuilding it.

b_Regal78 wrote:

Here's another Weber Tree build thread from the NJ mini. It has some good instruction in building one...

ummm...I don't see a thread...did it moooooooove?

ok, i like the tree but i cant seem to see or find any info on how to. call me blind but could someone point me in the right direction. please

Ralph D wrote:

ok, i like the tree but i cant seem to see or find any info on how to. call me blind but could someone point me in the right direction. please

Ralph, only section I see with information is on his FAQ page.

"Every time I spin the base ring of lights my helix gets sucked to the trunk support running up the tree."

The idea of attaching all the lights, raising them up, and then spinning them into a spiral is tempting. The wires that will support the spiral lights would have to be mounted lower than the lights (so the lights end up on top of the wires). Everything on the tree would be stationary except the base ring.

Where I loose the concept is how do you get the lights to spiral at equal heights? There would have to be a lot of slack in the lights before rotating the base. Seems with all that slack the lights would wrap up at the bottom of the tree.

The spiral tree is a real eye grabber, no 2 ways about it. I can't wait to see the solutions people have come up with the reduce the setup time. I used the Grant_VK5GR design, the huge draw back is the tree doesn't come apart for storage. So it is standing in the back yard all year.

I was wondering; is anyone going to combine a spiral and mega tree in one?

I can't wait to see the solutions people have come up with the reduce the setup time. I used the Grant_VK5GR design, the huge draw back is the tree doesn't come apart for storage. So it is standing in the back yard all year.

**Mine will come apart...set-up time will be under 20 minutes for a 20' tree with 9600 lights, and 96 Channels**

I was wondering; is anyone going to combine a spiral and mega tree in one?

**Was over on Planet Christmas, and there were lots of guys there going to combine a Spiral with a Weber...I'm going to have one of each.

Cow Man found this thread:

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php/41789-Mega-tree-vs.-spiral-tree