Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB-08

mattera68

My 08's are 5 years old and have worked great also. I have done the firmware upgrades to them with no issues.

I usually have to do a reset to them at the start of each year or they can get a little funky sometimes.

They also do work as standalone as I used one with my camping setup a couple years ago.

Email Dan for the definitive answer.

Ron, I haven't run full wave LEDs on them (as I don't own any) but the 1/2 wave seemed pretty decent. I only use incandescents, so it's pretty hard to know. I would assume they contain the same dimming 'technology' as the PC versions and the showtime units. I think Tim may have used LEDs on his, not sure. Have you Tim?

As of a year ago (or so) the CTB08 is in field firmware upgradeable . As far as LEDs the CTB08 works as well as the CTBxxD and CTB16PC cards.

The new CTB08 uses the CTB08S firmware.

Dan

LightORamaDan wrote:

As of a year ago (or so) the CTB08 is in field firmware upgradeable . As far as LEDs the CTB08 works as well as the CTBxxD and CTB16PC cards.

I know this is a long shot, but is it possible to upgrade an old CTB-08 to make it field-upgradable? Or at least to get the new effects?

Tim Fischer wrote:

LightORamaDan wrote:

I know this is a long shot, but is it possible to upgrade an old CTB-08 to make it field-upgradable? Or at least to get the new effects?

Getting a little technical: As far as field-upgradable, we looked at that (a long time ago) and as I recall we could not find a PIC18F that had the same pinouts for power, UART, OSC and Interrupt as is used in the PIC16F chip in there now. If such a part exists then we could do that.

As far as the effects in the existing chips. I think that may be doable but things are tight in there. Currently there are about 3 bytes of space remaining so we would need to tighten things up.

LightORamaDan wrote:

Tim Fischer wrote:
LightORamaDan wrote:

Getting a little technical: As far as field-upgradable, we looked at that (a long time ago) and as I recall we could not find a PIC18F that had the same pinouts for power, UART, OSC and Interrupt as is used in the PIC16F chip in there now. If such a part exists then we could do that.

As far as the effects in the existing chips. I think that may be doable but things are tight in there. Currently there are about 3 bytes of space remaining so we would need to tighten things up.

Thanks - it's not a huge deal to me, but since I have my CTB-08's spread out through the display, across multiple display items, I can't really use the new effects since I have few display items that don't have at least one CTB-08 involved. And rewiring the display to move controllers around is a bigger pain than it's worth to me to use them :D

LightORamaDan wrote:

As of a year ago (or so) the CTB08 is in field firmware upgradeable.

Thanks Dan for the info. Now I can rest easier knowing I didn't waste money buying them. My apologies for having doubted...