Light-O-Rama Forums

EDM -RDS FM Transmission Application

Sparky Griswold

bryanblake wrote:

Hey Steve,

I think I have everything set regarding what LOR needs for path, sequences and audio.

I downloaded the MiniRDS program magicrds.exe from http://pira.cz/rds/ it appears to be an updated version from some of the past screen shots I've seen around.

Do you by chance have available your program settings from your MiniRDS software?

Again, thank you for all your help.

Bryan
Will this software work with a Ramsey Fm30 ?

Larry,

Yes I use mine with the fm30 no problems, you do have to order the RDS board and insert the rds data into the transmitter, I don't remember the exact point I think steven has pictures. If he doesn't I can try to dig mine out and take some pictures

greg

Hey Greg,

Yes, using the miniRDS software, I double checked on that, and I have the box checked "send on change" for both PS and Radio Text. Everything is working the way it should I just can't get it to change text with each additional song. Frustrating but then I guess there could be far worse issues. =)

B

Greg,

Question about transmission distance, this EDS transmits seems no better than the whole house transmitter which I replaced. Reception is about 150ft from my home and with static. FYI, there are no major power lines, cell towers, metal buildings etc, just traditional homes. Furthermore, we are in the middle of a subdivision far away from any commercial buildings. I really hope I'm doing something wrong. I am using the unit as it was shipped to me with the test antenna. The music is coming through my vehicle but weak at best. I'm hoping that I just need to attach a longer, bigger antenna. Can I ask what you have done to increase distance with clear transmission. Of course I'm assuming that's what you have which I'm certain it is. =) Thanks Greg. Much appreciated.

bryan,

Sure, I have the fm 30 I built a tru-match dipole antenna, easily increased my distance by quite a bit and only cost me about 10 bucks to build. I have a Ham radio buddy that set my antenna up to the frequency while you can wing this if you have the correct test equipment it helps. I can clearly get 1500 feet or more with clear reception. It may be possible you are getting noise from the rds encoder, I had to play with my levels a bit to get it just perfect so that the rds pilot tone didn't interfere with my audio.

as far as the send on change. I will have to look into that when I get home. I have my computer that runs the radio station apart for upgrades now but will try to look into it when I can.

question. if you point have that pointing to a text file and you manually change that file does the pira software send it that way if so It may be a problem with your command file

greg

Hey Greg,

Morning. Would you be willing to share that antenna build diagram and parts list?

Actually Philip alrady had done pictures and documation over at planet christmas here is the link

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php/23446-Build-your-own-tru-match-fm-antenna-and-save-50

I basically built mine the same way with the exception of the antenna and end caps for each pole. I used the old sliding antenna like this

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062018

and as far as the ends go I used pvc inset caps with wire ties to keep the end of the antenna streatched inside the pvc. I also used some electrical tape to keep the segments of the antenna from sliding. Like I said there are formulas to match your antenna lenght with your frequencies this will keep the power from being reflected back to the transmitter. You can probably find the formula online somewhere. I did have a ham radio guy help me with this for I don't really know the technical part of radio transmission.

hope this helps

greg

Greg,

How long can the coax run be from the transmitter to the antenna?

my run is about 60 feet. I used rg59 but 6 should also work. I experimented with a piece that was about 100 feet and it worked well also. Other than that I am not sure, I can find out later today.

bryanblake wrote:

As I mentioned, the RDS is showing up on my radio display but it doesn't cycle to the next song when it starts playing?

In the MiniRDS program, go to the "Dynamic PS" tab. When you run a new sequence and run its RDS script, the new title should show up on the left of the MiniRDS window.

If it doesn't show up there, then check (with Notepad) the contents of your "Now Playing" text file. If the contents of the file are still the old song, then the problem is the windows command or the RDS script. If the contents are new, then it isn't getting to MiniRDS for some reason.

If the text in the MiniRDS Dynamic PS tab is changing, then the problem could be flaky serial port communication with the transmitter. Or, it could be that your receiver is not receiving the RDS signal clearly enough (because of a weak RF signal) and thus is keeping what it received before.

When the FM signal is weak, the RDS reception will fail first, before the stereo signal.

bryanblake wrote:

Would you be willing to share that antenna build diagram and parts list?

If you have not already, join the EDMDesign Yahoo Group. I have pictures in the Photos section of the 1/4 wave vertical I built last year (and is still on my roof today).

Thank you Steve. Really appreciate the help. I just joined.

If it doesn't show up there, then check (with Notepad) the contents of your "Now Playing" text file. If the contents of the file are still the old song, then the problem is the windows command or the RDS script.

Steven, I guess I missed something along the way. Are you saying that the each of the sequences need to be loaded into the nowplaying.txt file?

bryanblake wrote:

Steven, I guess I missed something along the way. Are you saying that the each of the sequences need to be loaded into the nowplaying.txt file?

The nowplaying.txt file can be any file that you set in the "Text Sources" tab of MiniRDS. You must also check the "From file"" and "Send on change" boxes in that tab. Make sure you do this in the "Dynamic PS" sub-tab. The MiniRDS program will continually monitor that file, and when it changes, it will update the Dynamic PS information. It should look like this picture.

When each sequence plays, it should cause the name of its song to replace the contents of the nowplaying.txt file. If the file doesn't change when a new sequence plays, then you have a problem with the Windows command script.

Attached files 207114=11499-MiniRDS.png

Thanks again Steven. I will double check my script again. Have a great rest of your weekend.

Steven, I just noticed something, after I put in the windows command file, log out of LOR program, then log back in, the script is gone. Do you know if the program automatically saves that script somewhere?

bryanblake wrote:

I just noticed something, after I put in the windows command file, log out of LOR program, then log back in, the script is gone. Do you know if the program automatically saves that script somewhere?

I have seen this question before regarding the Windows command in a sequence. The answer is that the Windows command you put in a sequence is not stored in the sequence (LMS) file! There is a good reason for this: If the command was stored in the sequence file, then someone could put a malicious Windows command in a sequence file and share it. If someone were to download it and run it, it could do anything!

To get around this security problem, LOR saves the Windows command in a separate file. In your Sequences folder, you will find a file named cmdmap.lcm. This is where the Windows command is saved. That single file stores the Windows command for all your sequences.

There is a potential problem, however. Each sequence is identified by a unique key that is created by the sequence editor when a Windows command is created for a sequence. If you were to create a sequence with a Windows command, then copy, rename, and edit the LMS file, you will now have two different sequences with the same Windows command key. When you change one, both will change. Could this be your problem?

The solution is: Don't copy LMS files (unless you're making a backup). Instead, create a new sequence from the sequence editor, or use "Save As...", which will create a new Windows command key.

Thanks Steve, I think thats exactly whats happening. I will make that adjustment and let you know. Again, really apprecaite it.

B