Light-O-Rama Forums

POLL: DO you place your LOR controllers close to the lights, or far away inside with long cable runs

Guest guest

With 64 channels, I plan to use 32 channels on my mega tree alone to get some good smooth rotations with fine granularity, across 3 colors.

So does it make since to place 2 of the 16 channel controllers inside the base of the tree and use 6 foot extensions (some of the lights on the maga might not need an extension)? I would of course put a loose garbage bag over the top of the controllers to protect against rain, while still allowing it to breath.

OR.......

Should I put the controllers in the garage 30' away, and run 32 long 30' extension cables to the tree from the controllers.

How do most of you folks with 64+ Channels handle this?

Tawk amongst ya-selves!

I hope you mean you would put them in boxes. They HAVE to be in a containor of some sort.

And yes, I put them near my lights. Last year the controller was stashed under my mega tree.

Zac

jeffostroff wrote:

I would of course put a loose garbage bag over the top of the controllers to protect against rain, while still allowing it to breath.

jeffostroff wrote:

With 64 channels, I plan to use 32 channels on my mega tree alone to get some good smooth rotations with fine granularity, across 3 colors.

So does it make since to place 2 of the 16 channel controllers inside the base of the tree and use 6 foot extensions (some of the lights on the maga might not need an extension)? I would of course put a loose garbage bag over the top of the controllers to protect against rain, while still allowing it to breath.

OR.......

Should I put the controllers in the garage 30' away, and run 32 long 30' extension cables to the tree from the controllers.

How do most of you folks with 64+ Channels handle this?

You dont wnt to put your controller like next to the mail box with a sign that stays "Steal me, I am free" but you can almost spend as much in extension cords as you can the LOR itself. I would place your controllers within 50 ft of the items being lit. 50 ft cords are way cheaper then 100 ft. Better yet if you can get within 25 ft and use 25 ft cords you are really jamming. As far as controllers I keep within 50 ft of the items being lit but still also keep the controller as concealed as possible, close to the house, for security purposes.

Well, here's some security tips then!

I might run a locking cable through one controller, and through my metal mailbox post, and cover the controller with a green garbage bag.

As for the 2 controllers in my mega tree, I'll cable both together, and through all the light stricgs hanging on the mega tree, and maybe to a hook on the house.

This will make it real hard for someone to steal it.

Another thing is you can buy security screws which require a special keyed tool to unscrew them. You use this tool to bolt them to your masonry. Then they cannot unbolt your controller off the wall, because they don't have the correct "key" works just like your vehicle lug nut locks.

We have some controllers in plain sight, about 8' back from the street. No problems so far. Most people won't even pay attention to them, others will just think they're junction or power distribution boxes.

There's always the off chance of an intelligent thief, scoping out your website (if you have one), finding out these controllers are worth something, and coming for them. You'll have to decide if the risk of this is worth running large lengths of cord.

-Tim

Well, I guess I'm going against the grain a bit. I plan to keep my controllers near the house while using longer cords. Now, I will say that most of my runs are under 50 feet although there will be 80 of them. I see the zip cords as a one time investment and once I have them made up, I'll have them, and the LOR controllers will be safe and sound secured near the house.

While we/I are/am kinda on the subject of zip cord........anybody know who has the best deal/supply on 500' or 1000' rolls of green, black or brown, SPT2?

Blue Skies,

Craig

tfischer wrote:

We have some controllers in plain sight, about 8' back from the street. No problems so far. Most people won't even pay attention to them, others will just think they're junction or power distribution boxes.

There's always the off chance of an intelligent thief, scoping out your website (if you have one), finding out these controllers are worth something, and coming for them. You'll have to decide if the risk of this is worth running large lengths of cord.

-Tim

Or you could make your controllers ugly and scarey... I see a lot of you guys making your controllers pretty as a picture, but as long as its functional, this will work. Mine are in big heavy and clumsy 4 by 4 boxes with 2 by 6 and interior grade gang work. Pressure treated makes even heavier, all wood makes it even easier to bolt down. I know its not UL listed but I spend almost $50 less a box in the non/LOR/AL costs of a control box and outlets and place the box 1/2 foot above the ground (on brick or cinderblock), trash bag over the box, 50 gallon trash can over it all. Rain, sprinklers and Florida wintertime heat have no effect or problems with it. Only problem I had was with a roach walking across the hot parts of a controller and he got zapped like a mosquito in a bug zapper.