Light-O-Rama Forums

Ok I saw it tell me more

Guest guest

Ok I saw the show of the 4 houses on the same block running the same sequince with the wireless controllers. I was going to buy the LOR system this year but held off for finances. My questions are these. 1 when is this wireless system going to be ready to market? And 2. is this an add on to your controllers or is this going to be built right onto the board.

-JR V.-

yes and it will be available for use with existing controllers from what I hear. I don't think it will actually be mounted on a board but could be wrong. I think Dan said will be ready for next year.

itsmejrv wrote:

I was thinking of mounting cat5 recepticals at specific spots around my house to use the controllers but this way I wouldn't have to bother.

JR

JR,

Contact Jeff Trykoski here on PC for info about mounting CAT 5 recepticals around the house. He has wired the entire exterior of his house!

Jeff

itsmejrv wrote:

Ok I saw the show of the 4 houses on the same block running the same sequince with the wireless controllers. I was going to buy the LOR system this year but held off for finances. My questions are these. 1 when is this wireless system going to be ready to market? And 2. is this an add on to your controllers or is this going to be built right onto the board.

-JR V.-

JR V,

The RF units (wireless) are in fact an add-on. That is they can be hooked to exisiting controllers. They are also multi-drop units. That is to say you can have one transmitting, and many other receiving - you just need a clear line of site for the communications. I believe Dan also mentioned he is hoping to "beef" them up before final release - greater distancesm, etc. He also said he will be adding a power infuser for them - not always needed. They currently pull the power from teh controller they are hooked to - but that can kind of limit how long the CAT5 cable is going from the RF to the LOR COntroller - due to voltage drops.

-Rob

Rob -- you keep mentioning a clear line of site. I'm confused why this would be a requirement for an RF device? Is this a special type of RF, or...

I know RF signals go further with clear line of site, but this is the first time I've seen it explicitly mentioned. For example, WiFi (802.11b/g) can go through walls, but it goes further without walls.

-Tim

Tim,

I know right now these ones really seem to like to "see" each other - albeit, they are beta units and the final product will be stronger, faster, better - a bionic rf unit if you will :P (showing my age)

I think I mention it only because Dan had told me they were line of site - at least currently.

But, please don't take that as a slam on the ones I have - they do the trick just fine - I just don't think I could get these to go thru walls - tell ya what I'll do just for kicks is try "hiding" these two from each other and report back my findings - lights went out for the night and it's stupid cold out there - not to mention ice on the roof, so think I'll wait for daylight.

-Rob

Rob LaRe wrote:

I know right now these ones really seem to like to "see" each other - albeit, they are beta units and the final product will be stronger, faster, better - a bionic rf unit if you will :P (showing my age)

Rob,

Have you noticed any delay time with the one being transmitted too? Also do you only have 1 hooked into cat5 with the rest being transmitted or do you have others dazied in with cat5?

itsmejrv wrote:

Rob,

Have you noticed any delay time with the one being transmitted too? Also do you only have 1 hooked into cat5 with the rest being transmitted or do you have others dazied in with cat5?

Haven't noticed any delay at all - guess it's moving at the speed of lights (sorry couldn't help myself)

Check out this thread

http://planetchristmas.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=249&forum_id=25

Has more details of the wireless and how it works and how mine is setup

Yep - just needed to shoot the signal across the street (the city didn't like the CAT5 running over or on the street and they wouldn't cut a slot in the road an put coduit in there for me :P )

Rob LaRe wrote:

Yep - just needed to shoot the signal across the street (the city didn't like the CAT5 running over or on the street and they would cut a slot in the road an put coduit in there for me :P
ya cutting up the road and then patching it just seems a little pricey for a few twinkling little lights. Ok maybe a few thousand, but still.

William Redfern wrote:

Dan really needs to corner the market here, is there any way to send over the electricity wirelessly? Not much, just about 20 amps? :)

Isn't that the way x-10 works? I thought it sent thru your electrical lines.

JR

tfischer wrote:

Rob -- you keep mentioning a clear line of site. I'm confused why this would be a requirement for an RF device? Is this a special type of RF, or...

I know RF signals go further with clear line of site, but this is the first time I've seen it explicitly mentioned. For example, WiFi (802.11b/g) can go through walls, but it goes further without walls.

-Tim

Tim,

I know I said I was going to experiment tonight with the RF units - but local NBC news is here again tonight and doing live promos for the news tonight along with the actual segment airing live form my house - so I probably shouldn't chance turning off half the display tonight. I'll shoot for tomorrow.

-Rob