Light-O-Rama Forums

Bright Floods

Coasterfreak128

Does anyone know what kind of LED (or any) Flood light that is very birght. I have looked all over the place and there is so many to pick from, and I just do not know what to buy.

I want the same model in 4 different colors (R,G,B,W) but not all in one unit. Also i have heard that some LED Floods cant dim or dont react very fast.

If anyone could recomend a very bright flood light that would be helpfull.

JBullard wrote:

You might want to start here. All of these are dimmable. His sale ended on May 31

I have bought here before, very satisfied with product and service.

http://www.minionsweb.com/

Elsewhere on the forum you will see refernces to LED floods being reviewed using side by side comparisons. Search under Bill Hoffman posts. I was fortunate to be at the Ohio mini and saw the differences first hand. The rainbow flood units really shined! (no pun intended).

I purchased quite a few LED floods from Corey at Minion's web last year. Spent quite a bit of $$. Purchased 3 blue, 3 red, 3 green and 6 white LED floods, the 72 LED per flood size, which were not cheap.

They worked, (though not nearly as bright as the rainbow floods available this season), but the construction left much to be desired! 3 of them had the glass lens fall off. The explanation was that the Chinese did not use good silicone, and they should be siliconed back together. I had no problem in handling that issue.

Another one literally came apart and was hanging by the wiring from the socket! That was my one loss of the bunch.

I have since placed another order with Minion's web (non LED supplies on 3/26/10), and have only received part of that order despite numerous emails, and several phone calls that have not been returned, so apparently my experience differs from John's.

Anytime you deal with vendors remember - caveat emptor. Ones I know who folks on the forums have never had issues with (that weren't addressed to their satisfaction) are Dan and the group at LOR, Paul and group at Creative displays, Val P, and and Greg R (pondude - who offers the rainbow floods, blizzards, etc.)

Hope that helps.

Greg

Update 7/1/10:

Corey, from minions web, just sent me an email. He committed to filling the outstanding parts of my 3/26/10 order in the very near future, so it sounds like this will work out to have a good ending!

Greg

As far as LED Flood response - if they are DC, they are as close to instantaneous as you can get. If there is any lag, it is due to your controller or your power supply.

LEDs are instant on, instant off, able to switch in the 1000s of times per second or more.

If you have AC powered LEDs, you are at the mercy of the designer.