Light-O-Rama Forums

Dancing Mickey Mouse

jerryb721

There is guy on youtube that created a dancing man, don't know who he is, but I always admired what he did.
I wanted to do the same but different, so this year I am making a dancing Mickey Mouse. I'm not as artistic as that guy, but I think this might just work.
Here is the link

Mickey is about 5ft tall. He is made form coroplast with mini light stuck in from the back.
Thanks

jerryb721 wrote:

I'm not as artistic as that guy, but I think this might just work.

If that is "not as artistic as that guy", then I can't even draw a straight line!!

Nice job!!

Any pics of the coroplastic without the lights on so we can see your handiwork up close?

OK. That's pretty darn cool. Neat concept, and, artistic or not (apparently you don't get to decide whether you are artistic, everybody else does), very well carried out. There is just enough of Mickey to know it's him without having so many lights that would otherwise muddy the image.

How many channels are you using?

Good show, I say!

Cray

VERY well done indeed! Hmm, maybe we can have him dance to Christmas music over this way :) I might have to attempt this too :)

-Gary-

Thanks folks!
Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to be modest, I am pleased with the way it came out. It's just the the guy/gal who made the dancing man did a phenomenal job.
If you haven't seen it, this person had the body moving back and forth, the arms and legs moving, it was so realistic, an awesome job!!!

"Any pics of the coroplastic without the lights on so we can see your handiwork up close?"

I wish I had thought of it, but no. I should start to think that way more, form time to time I've been asked for a video or picture of how I did it and never have them

I made him with 3 patterns, one for the center body and all arms, one for the body left and one for the body right. I made him on black coro so I had to draw the lines with a pencil, black marker and green marker and then look at the pattern from the side with light reflecting on it to drill the holes. So many lines crossed each other.
I use 12 channels, 3 for the eyes, 3 for the body and 1 each for the 6 arms. I thought having the eyes be able to blink and on a few occasions blink made it better.

Thank you all for looking, I was hoping to get some good feedback since I was thinking this might be the center piece of this year's display.

Here is a close up picture so you can just see the lines.

Attached files 203986=11342-DSCN0084.JPG

Awesome Job! Very Impressive. My wife said be careful the undercover Walt Disney Spies don't catch you using Mickey's likeness.

It really is good. How long did it take?

jfelix wrote:

Awesome Job! Very Impressive. My wife said be careful the undercover Walt Disney Spies don't catch you using Mickey's likeness.

And I'm in Disney's backyard. lol
If they're not happy about this they won't be happy with all the plywood cutouts I have of the princesses, their side kicks, and many other Disney characters.

The design took a couple weeks to finally come up with the Mickey I wanted and making the layers match up. Drilling and inserting the lights I did on a Sat and Sun.

Thanks,
Jerry

jerryb721 wrote:

be careful the undercover Walt Disney Spies don't catch you using Mickey's likeness.

I was thinking the same thing...but as long as you aren't making money off of them I don't they will bother you.

• 2 weeks later...

The original "dancing man" video was done by Joseph Ayo on Rawls Road Christmas, the first I saw, at least. And the song "Santa's in the House" by Aqua, A very cool song and one of the first I sequenced and struggled to figure out. I like your idea and think one could pick any fantasy character(s) to use with your movements.