Light-O-Rama Forums

DC controler kits?

toymakr000

I am a relative cheapskate compared to a lot of people. If I can build it myself to save a few bucks I will. I was wondering is there has been any thought of selling the CMB-16D Deluxe DC card as a DIY kit?
Thanks,

toymakr000 wrote:

I am a relative cheapskate compared to a lot of people. If I can build it myself to save a few bucks I will. I was wondering is there has been any thought of selling the CMB-16D Deluxe DC card as a DIY kit?
Thanks,

I always thought *I* was the resident cheapskate... :)

The current CMB-16D is largely surface mount/SMT, which gives it a nice small form factor. While I'd love to save a few bucks, the card would probably have to be redesigned with through-hole technology (since most aren't comfortable doing significant SMT), meaning a larger footprint, and possibly loss of cost savings since there would be R&D and retooling involved. Frankly I'd rather see LOR release the mythical flood, give new versions of S2, etc! :)

On the other hand, I'd love to see a caseless, cheaper iDMX, kit or not... The bar to jump into DMX is pretty high right now if you want to stick with S2, and competing software is offering a cheaper means to get there (via using alternate cheap DMX interfaces and a separate network).

toymakr000 wrote:

I guess I didn't look at the pic close enough to see the SMT I just assumed it was thru hole stuff:(

Looking at the pic again, it's about 50/50 I think. The mostfets, term strips, dials, etc. are through-hole, but a lot of the control circuitry is SMT.

Maybe Dan and crew could mount the SMD and then kit the rest of the TTH parts as a kit? Ok, I am a member of the tight wad club. I rather take a evening to solder in parts and save 10 or 20 bucks than to spend the 10 or 20 bucks. That is just a few more strings of lights. I mean I am no Jimswinder who can afford what was it 20 controllers in one pop.

Max-Paul wrote:

Maybe Dan and crew could mount the SMD and then kit the rest of the TTH parts as a kit? Ok, I am a member of the tight wad club. I rather take a evening to solder in parts and save 10 or 20 bucks than to spend the 10 or 20 bucks.

If that could really knock $10-20 off the price, I'd be for it as well. But since these are all done by an automated board shop (it's not like Dan personally solders our stuff :P ) I doubt the markups are anywhere near that high.

Tim Fischer wrote:

Max-Paul wrote:
Maybe Dan and crew could mount the SMD and then kit the rest of the TTH parts as a kit? Ok, I am a member of the tight wad club. I rather take a evening to solder in parts and save 10 or 20 bucks than to spend the 10 or 20 bucks.

If that could really knock $10-20 off the price, I'd be for it as well. But since these are all done by an automated board shop (it's not like Dan personally solders our stuff :P ) I doubt the markups are anywhere near that high.

We have been looking into making a lower cost DC card. Same performance but a few things like quick connects rather than screw terminals can make a difference in the price. Not sure what the prices will be.

As far as SMT kits we are also exploring that as well. Many parts are becoming more difficult to find in thru hole. Lead times can be over 6 months... Surface mount parts are becoming the norm and are more available. Building a kit with SMT parts is not necessarily a project for the average DIYer. If we get the SMT parts assembled then as Tim has said there isn't necessarily a large difference in cost to have the thru hole parts placed. However we need to investigate and see if it makes sense.

SMT isn't necessarily more difficult depending on how small you go. I still hand solder all of my SMT parts but there are various methods of putting down solder paste and heating the board.

A couple of methods that are working for the guys at DIYC is using a modified toaster oven or a frying pan. I'm told that you should first explain to you wife that these did not come from the kitchen.:P

LightORamaDan wrote:

Building a kit with SMT parts is not necessarily a project for the average DIYer.

I built my first kit with SMT two years ago, which included a 16-pin SMT chip. I used a regular soldering iron, and it worked the first time. Since then, I soldered 32 SMT transistors and 64 SMT resistors for another project, and it worked as well.

I've had myopia (nearsightedness) since I was a teenager, and am now in my late 40's, so I had to take my glasses off to do this soldering. Other people my age who have not had to wear glasses all their lives will probably need reading glasses or a magnifier.

But SMT does not need the hands of a brain surgeon. Almost anyone could do it.

• 1 month later...

Steven,

I turn 52 this fall. And for the past 10 yrs need glasses to read. Now in the past 2 yrs I take off my reading glasses to put on one of those visor things with the 10X magnafying glasses built in. I kind of miss some of my hearing loss, but the lossing my sight is tearing me up. And glasses are not as good as good old 20/20 vision.