Light-O-Rama Forums

Rainbow Floods...ASSEMBLED!!

Ponddude

Bill Hoffman wrote:

I have 4 more RF's on order, so just for curiosity I will order some of the pirhana leds, and build a double enclosure. One board I will build regular and the other I will build with 2 of the channels red and the other one blue. We will see what happens. The only problems would be when you want to go to clear, I would think you could only use one of the boards, but maybe not.

Bill

Ok, I will admit, I had no idea what I was talking about when I made that statement. I have been so stressed out with trying to learn DMX and lighting up 25 new wireframes, and the heat, I guess I'm wackin out. lol
Anyway tonight I will put my "DOUBLE RAINBOW" up against my "SINGLE RAINBOW" I don't have to order any new leds. lol I set LOR up to do the single red for 15 secs, then the double red for 15secs, then the single blue for 15secs, and the double blue for 15 secs. It's not really necessary to test the greens and clears simply because they are plenty bright enough. Not sure how well my video will do but it may give everybody an idea, plus I will give my honest opinion of the difference. Like I said before, I have built all boards that have come out so far, and I simply like the Rainbow the best, so far.

Bill

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ponddude

• Tim Fischer

• Bill Hoffman

• rgardner518

Bill Hoffman wrote:

I have been so stressed out with trying to learn DMX and lighting up 25 new wireframes, and the heat, I guess I'm wackin out. lol

Bill , have you started lighting the Heat/Snow miser frames yet?
If so, that may explain things...
Those looked like they were going to be very difficult.... at least a case of beer each....:D

Tim Herberger wrote:

Bill Hoffman wrote:

I have been so stressed out with trying to learn DMX and lighting up 25 new wireframes, and the heat, I guess I'm wackin out. lol

Those looked like they were going to be very difficult.... at least a case of beer each....:D

Tim,

That's what I started on, and I'm wanting the mouths to move and the flame in the heat misers' hair to be animated, plus their arms and feet will be animated. And to top it all off, I decided to replace my snowman fight with a heatmiser/snowmiser fight. Also, Zman has been helping me to learn Idmx, and I know nothing about dmx. lol So, YES, I'm stressed. lol

Bill

Bill Hoffman wrote:

Tim Herberger wrote:
Bill Hoffman wrote:

Tim,

That's what I started on, and I'm wanting the mouths to move and the flame in the heat misers' hair to be animated, plus their arms and feet will be animated. And to top it all off, I decided to replace my snowman fight with a heatmiser/snowmiser fight. Also, Zman has been helping me to learn Idmx, and I know nothing about dmx. lol So, YES, I'm stressed. lol

Bill

Bill, your an expert with DMX now. Heck, I'm thinking of having you present for me in Chicago and sitting back and taking it all in :D

JBullard wrote:

ny_yankee_25 wrote:
JBullard wrote:
CMB-16D

Oh, so its a home made job? Can I see the whole picture
Sure. Actually this is one of two 24 volt DC controller cases (cover removed for photos) for my 8 Mighty Minis, they were built before I ordered the 10 Rainbow Floods.

I'm rebuilding in a larger case that will contain both the 24 volt and 12 volt power suppllies and 4 of the CMB-16 controllers. That way all of my RGB LED floods will be controlled from one box. I'll just run cat5 from the control box to each of the floods.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r55/johnbullard/IM000302.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r55/johnbullard/IM000304.jpg

Is there an led status light on the cmb boards?

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Yes, it's a little SMT thing that is hard to even see is there until it lights up then it's plenty bright :D

Tim Fischer wrote:

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Yes, it's a little SMT thing that is hard to even see is there until it lights up then it's plenty bright :D

Can I use it to uplight one of the trees in my Christmas village???
:D

Hey Greg,
I'm interested in the rainbow spotlight,
When do you expect to have them ready?
How much will they cost?
and why are there 10 LED's ? Is there an extra of one color?

Thanks Ron

Hi Ron,

I haven't figured out costs yet, but I would figure a maximum of $12.00. They may be less.

There are 10 LEDs to compenstate for the lackage of red. I got the protos up and running last night (these go together in about 2 minutes...literally) and I was semi happy with the output. So, a new, brighter version was designed today. Hopefully will be here in about a week for some more testing.

Figure these are to start shipping by the end of July...the latest.

zman wrote:

Bill Hoffman wrote:
Tim Herberger wrote:
Bill Hoffman wrote:

Tim,

Bill

Bill, your an expert with DMX now. Heck, I'm thinking of having you present for me in Chicago and sitting back and taking it all in :P

Mark you will think differently when I fire my laser up and it goes out of control and burns down Carrie's house, I'm not sure if I'm insured for DMX stupidity. lol :shock:

Bill

Ponddude wrote:

Hi Ron,

I haven't figured out costs yet, but I would figure a maximum of $12.00. They may be less.

There are 10 LEDs to compenstate for the lackage of red. I got the protos up and running last night (these go together in about 2 minutes...literally) and I was semi happy with the output. So, a new, brighter version was designed today. Hopefully will be here in about a week for some more testing.

Figure these are to start shipping by the end of July...the latest.

Greg,

Do you ever stop? I am already way past this year's lighting budget, now there's a Rainbow Spot!!!! It keeps getting better and better but my wallet keeps getting thinner and thinner. lol :shock:

Bill

Bill,

I agree, I am still trying to get the CFO aka my wife to relase some funds for the rainbow floods.

Greg,

do you take the first born?:(

Ok, I did the video tonight comparing the single RF and the double RF. The video does not do either of these variations justice, so I'm not going to show them, but I will give my honest, unbiased opinion. First off I started thinking about this whole comparison, and now, I'm not really sure what it really proved. Basically, the double reds and blues were a lot brighter than the single reds and blues. I know that's not a big discovery, but I had fun doing it. lol :( It still comes down, to me anyway, that people need to attend their local mini's and hopefully somebody will have many of these products to compare side by side. With what's out so far, I'm still good with my decision to use the double Rainbow Flood to color wash my house, and the single's to light up the trees out front. I'm anxiously waiting for the Rainbow Spots to come out, for my spot light situations.

Bill

Alright, so it looks like the final version (as long as tests go well) will have 16 LEDs on them. The initial test with the first proto went well, but I was hoping for more...hence the additional LEDs. I also had a issue with how I did the board wiring which doesn't allow me to test it the way I wanted too.

The final board came out to 3" x 1 1/4". It should pack a lot of light for a little board. The beauty of Superflux LEDs is the output per LED is much better than the output of a standard 5mm LED. This is why so much light comes out of such a little fixture.

Needless to say, the Rainbow line is still expanding with a couple of other ideas I want to use in my display and I hopefully can get to them this year.

*My Disclaimer* Sorry to all the wives out there!!:(

Bill Hoffman wrote:

Ok, I did the video tonight comparing the single RF and the double RF. The video does not do either of these variations justice, so I'm not going to show them, but I will give my honest, unbiased opinion. First off I started thinking about this whole comparison, and now, I'm not really sure what it really proved. Basically, the double reds and blues were a lot brighter than the single reds and blues. I know that's not a big discovery, but I had fun doing it. lol :( It still comes down, to me anyway, that people need to attend their local mini's and hopefully somebody will have many of these products to compare side by side. With what's out so far, I'm still good with my decision to use the double Rainbow Flood to color wash my house, and the single's to light up the trees out front. I'm anxiously waiting for the Rainbow Spots to come out, for my spot light situations.

Bill

Bill, I guess what I was hoping you could answer is if the double-red (aimed to overlap) was about equal to a single blue or green. The single red is pretty lackluster, unless I built mine wrong or something :) (that's the color I had build-issues with but I'm pretty sure it's working properly now!)

Tim Fischer wrote:

Bill Hoffman wrote:
Ok, I did the video tonight comparing the single RF and the double RF. The video does not do either of these variations justice, so I'm not going to show them, but I will give my honest, unbiased opinion. First off I started thinking about this whole comparison, and now, I'm not really sure what it really proved. Basically, the double reds and blues were a lot brighter than the single reds and blues. I know that's not a big discovery, but I had fun doing it. lol :P It still comes down, to me anyway, that people need to attend their local mini's and hopefully somebody will have many of these products to compare side by side. With what's out so far, I'm still good with my decision to use the double Rainbow Flood to color wash my house, and the single's to light up the trees out front. I'm anxiously waiting for the Rainbow Spots to come out, for my spot light situations.

Bill

Bill, I guess what I was hoping you could answer is if the double-red (aimed to overlap) was about equal to a single blue or green. The single red is pretty lackluster, unless I built mine wrong or something :) (that's the color I had build-issues with but I'm pretty sure it's working properly now!)

Tim,

Of course Red is going to be the hardest color to get to pop like the rest. Actually, in the video it was the single red and single blue that the camera didn't pick up very well. When the fixture switched over to double red and double blue the video is beautiful. So to answer your question, the Red and Blue in the double is far superior to anything I've seen so far.

I'm kind of getting away from my original comparison, which was comparing the 3 floods at Light Up Ohio, and I think it's confusing people which is not my intention. I put the MM, the Portaflood, and the Rainbow Flood side by side and the RF won out hands down. So basically that tells me that the RF was the overall favorite in color output. Naturally if you add another board it's going to be double the light, if you add a 3rd board it's going to be more light, etc. etc. To me it still goes back to how much bang I'm going to get for my buck, and for right now, it's the Rainbow Flood. Plus for a double RF and the price tag of $30 (floods only), it's going to be hard to beat the color for the price of the RF.

Bill