Light-O-Rama Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ponddude

Rainbow Floods...ASSEMBLED!!

Hi Ron,

I haven't figured out costs yet, but I would figure a maximum of $12.00. They may be less.

There are 10 LEDs to compenstate for the lackage of red. I got the protos up and running last night (these go together in about 2 minutes...literally) and I was semi happy with the output. So, a new, brighter version was designed today. Hopefully will be here in about a week for some more testing.

Figure these are to start shipping by the end of July...the latest.

Guest guest

Anything you can share as far as dimensions of the board?

Don,

The current proto type is approx. 3"x 1.25".

zman wrote:

Bill Hoffman wrote:
Tim Herberger wrote:
Bill Hoffman wrote:

I have been so stressed out with trying to learn DMX and lighting up 25 new wireframes, and the heat, I guess I'm wackin out. lol

Bill , have you started lighting the Heat/Snow miser frames yet?
If so, that may explain things...
Those looked like they were going to be very difficult.... at least a case of beer each....:D

Tim,

That's what I started on, and I'm wanting the mouths to move and the flame in the heat misers' hair to be animated, plus their arms and feet will be animated. And to top it all off, I decided to replace my snowman fight with a heatmiser/snowmiser fight. Also, Zman has been helping me to learn Idmx, and I know nothing about dmx. lol So, YES, I'm stressed. lol

Bill

Bill, your an expert with DMX now. Heck, I'm thinking of having you present for me in Chicago and sitting back and taking it all in :P

Mark you will think differently when I fire my laser up and it goes out of control and burns down Carrie's house, I'm not sure if I'm insured for DMX stupidity. lol :shock:

Bill

Ponddude wrote:

Hi Ron,

I haven't figured out costs yet, but I would figure a maximum of $12.00. They may be less.

There are 10 LEDs to compenstate for the lackage of red. I got the protos up and running last night (these go together in about 2 minutes...literally) and I was semi happy with the output. So, a new, brighter version was designed today. Hopefully will be here in about a week for some more testing.

Figure these are to start shipping by the end of July...the latest.

Greg,

Do you ever stop? I am already way past this year's lighting budget, now there's a Rainbow Spot!!!! It keeps getting better and better but my wallet keeps getting thinner and thinner. lol :shock:

Bill

Bill,

I agree, I am still trying to get the CFO aka my wife to relase some funds for the rainbow floods.

Greg,

do you take the first born?:(

Ok, I did the video tonight comparing the single RF and the double RF. The video does not do either of these variations justice, so I'm not going to show them, but I will give my honest, unbiased opinion. First off I started thinking about this whole comparison, and now, I'm not really sure what it really proved. Basically, the double reds and blues were a lot brighter than the single reds and blues. I know that's not a big discovery, but I had fun doing it. lol :( It still comes down, to me anyway, that people need to attend their local mini's and hopefully somebody will have many of these products to compare side by side. With what's out so far, I'm still good with my decision to use the double Rainbow Flood to color wash my house, and the single's to light up the trees out front. I'm anxiously waiting for the Rainbow Spots to come out, for my spot light situations.

Bill

Alright, so it looks like the final version (as long as tests go well) will have 16 LEDs on them. The initial test with the first proto went well, but I was hoping for more...hence the additional LEDs. I also had a issue with how I did the board wiring which doesn't allow me to test it the way I wanted too.

The final board came out to 3" x 1 1/4". It should pack a lot of light for a little board. The beauty of Superflux LEDs is the output per LED is much better than the output of a standard 5mm LED. This is why so much light comes out of such a little fixture.

Needless to say, the Rainbow line is still expanding with a couple of other ideas I want to use in my display and I hopefully can get to them this year.

*My Disclaimer* Sorry to all the wives out there!!:(

Bill Hoffman wrote:

Ok, I did the video tonight comparing the single RF and the double RF. The video does not do either of these variations justice, so I'm not going to show them, but I will give my honest, unbiased opinion. First off I started thinking about this whole comparison, and now, I'm not really sure what it really proved. Basically, the double reds and blues were a lot brighter than the single reds and blues. I know that's not a big discovery, but I had fun doing it. lol :( It still comes down, to me anyway, that people need to attend their local mini's and hopefully somebody will have many of these products to compare side by side. With what's out so far, I'm still good with my decision to use the double Rainbow Flood to color wash my house, and the single's to light up the trees out front. I'm anxiously waiting for the Rainbow Spots to come out, for my spot light situations.

Bill

Bill, I guess what I was hoping you could answer is if the double-red (aimed to overlap) was about equal to a single blue or green. The single red is pretty lackluster, unless I built mine wrong or something :) (that's the color I had build-issues with but I'm pretty sure it's working properly now!)

Tim Fischer wrote:

Bill Hoffman wrote:
Ok, I did the video tonight comparing the single RF and the double RF. The video does not do either of these variations justice, so I'm not going to show them, but I will give my honest, unbiased opinion. First off I started thinking about this whole comparison, and now, I'm not really sure what it really proved. Basically, the double reds and blues were a lot brighter than the single reds and blues. I know that's not a big discovery, but I had fun doing it. lol :P It still comes down, to me anyway, that people need to attend their local mini's and hopefully somebody will have many of these products to compare side by side. With what's out so far, I'm still good with my decision to use the double Rainbow Flood to color wash my house, and the single's to light up the trees out front. I'm anxiously waiting for the Rainbow Spots to come out, for my spot light situations.

Bill

Bill, I guess what I was hoping you could answer is if the double-red (aimed to overlap) was about equal to a single blue or green. The single red is pretty lackluster, unless I built mine wrong or something :) (that's the color I had build-issues with but I'm pretty sure it's working properly now!)

Tim,

Of course Red is going to be the hardest color to get to pop like the rest. Actually, in the video it was the single red and single blue that the camera didn't pick up very well. When the fixture switched over to double red and double blue the video is beautiful. So to answer your question, the Red and Blue in the double is far superior to anything I've seen so far.

I'm kind of getting away from my original comparison, which was comparing the 3 floods at Light Up Ohio, and I think it's confusing people which is not my intention. I put the MM, the Portaflood, and the Rainbow Flood side by side and the RF won out hands down. So basically that tells me that the RF was the overall favorite in color output. Naturally if you add another board it's going to be double the light, if you add a 3rd board it's going to be more light, etc. etc. To me it still goes back to how much bang I'm going to get for my buck, and for right now, it's the Rainbow Flood. Plus for a double RF and the price tag of $30 (floods only), it's going to be hard to beat the color for the price of the RF.

Bill

Bill Hoffman wrote:

To me it still goes back to how much bang I'm going to get for my buck, and for right now, it's the Rainbow Flood. Plus for a double RF and the price tag of $30 (floods only), it's going to be hard to beat the color for the price of the RF.

I wasn't hoping to confuse folks either. And I totally agree with your statement - it's all about bang for the buck. I guess I was wondering if a "version 2" of the boards would benefit from having 2x the red (and perhaps blue) LED's, even at the expense of needing a larger enclosure (and of course a higher price ticket). Making a "double board" doesn't quite do it, because then you'd have double the green, which still makes the colors unbalanced...

Just the "engineer" side of me taking over :P Not trying to disparage anybody's product or anything... I've only personally seen/used the products I reviewed in my 'review' above (as well as a couple of professional DJ fixtures I had loaned to me).

I'm looking forward to trying out the V-Flood as well, once Mouser gets their act together and makes it so I can order the parts to build...

Tim Fischer wrote:

Bill Hoffman wrote:
To me it still goes back to how much bang I'm going to get for my buck, and for right now, it's the Rainbow Flood. Plus for a double RF and the price tag of $30 (floods only), it's going to be hard to beat the color for the price of the RF.

I wasn't hoping to confuse folks either. And I totally agree with your statement - it's all about bang for the buck. I guess I was wondering if a "version 2" of the boards would benefit from having 2x the red (and perhaps blue) LED's, even at the expense of needing a larger enclosure (and of course a higher price ticket). Making a "double board" doesn't quite do it, because then you'd have double the green, which still makes the colors unbalanced...

Just the "engineer" side of me taking over :P Not trying to disparage anybody's product or anything... I've only personally seen/used the products I reviewed in my 'review' above (as well as a couple of professional DJ fixtures I had loaned to me).

I'm looking forward to trying out the V-Flood as well, once Mouser gets their act together and makes it so I can order the parts to build...

Tim,

I understand now what you are getting at. Hopefully future designs will take the individual color restraints into consideration. Even the bigger boards are having problems with this, though. At Light Up Ohio I had a Portaflood with I'm thinking 152 leds, I can't remember exactly right this moment, but it was a lot. With all of those leds, it still didn't compare with the single Rainbow flood. A guy that was there told me that he was not happy with the Red. So what he did was designed another PCB to mount on top of the portaflood fixture with all red leds in it, and he said he put whites in where the Red's used to be. He said about the only time that the Red is dominant is when you go RGB to get clear. He said you can see the Red glow around the clear light. I didn't really notice this before, until he pointed it out, and he was right. Anyway, I can't wait to see what you think about the v-flood, I haven't ordered one of those yet.

Bill

If I were to take a second and step away as the "seller" and put on my "professor" hat I could explain why red LEDs will ALWAYS be not as bright.

First off it is important to understand how an LED works. Without getting into the 300 level course, I will explain in the 100 level how they work. To begin, there is an anvil and a post within the LED. On top of the anvil is a semiconductor with a reflective cavity within that conductor. Surrounding those components are various different chemical materials, most of them found in the earth. When the electricity is passed from the anvil to the post, the photons that are released react with those materials. That energy and reactivity is what creates the light. There is also a difference in the distance between the anvil and post, which will cause more or less protons to be released. LEDs have different colors depending on the materials that are within the LED itself. Oddly enough, the first LED that was created was actually a red LED, which I believe was in the early 60's. (don't quote me on that one) So, the reason why red LEDs are not as bright is simply because of the protons reaction with the chemical materials within the LED itself.

Now that class is over, back to less boring things...

There are currently no plans to redo design the Rainbow Floods this year. Next year they may get a redesign, but I do not plan on adding more red LEDs this year. It simply wouldn't be fair to all of those who purchased lights this year.

Ponddude wrote:

There are currently no plans to redo design the Rainbow Floods this year. Next year they may get a redesign, but I do not plan on adding more red LEDs this year. It simply wouldn't be fair to all of those who purchased lights this year.

I'm good with the double Rainbow, it is a very bright rich Red and a beautiful Blue, I'm not sure if it can get any better than that. But then again, that's just me. :cool:

Bill

Ponddude wrote:

Very understandable and I didn't expect it to be redesigned so soon :) They're great floods as-is, and I'm happy with them! I just couldn't resist putting on my engineer's hat ;)

Tim Fischer wrote:

Tim is there a problem with Mouser? I was going to order some resistor's from them (for snubbers) Never using them before I'm always a little weary. Some clarification would be appreciated.

Ponddude wrote:

If I were to take a second and step away as the "seller" and put on my "professor" hat I could explain why red LEDs will ALWAYS be not as bright.

I agree, put you're "seller" hat back on and finish the rainbow spots, I just ordered 4 dc cards and can't wait to play with the spots. after putting together all the rainbow floods, I'm soldering faster that a thirteen year old chinese boy!:shock:

Thanks Greg, I'm Happy with all your stuff!!!;)

Darryl Lambert wrote:

Tim Fischer wrote:

Tim is there a problem with Mouser? I was going to order some resistor's from them (for snubbers) Never using them before I'm always a little weary. Some clarification would be appreciated.

Not a problem with Mouser per se, just the original BOM for the V-Drive had a number of items out of stock, one of them not coming in until late August. I think William found substitutions for most of them, and the rest were supposed to be in stock in the next week or two.

Thanks Tim

Just wanted to make sure before I order

You guys buy these Rainbow Floods like they are candy!! I got an order of 200 of them on Monday and today, after tomorrows shipments, there are 4 left!!

Anyway, a new order has been placed and will be here ASAP. As always, you can still order the floods, but they will not ship until they are all in stock.

I got my 10! :( Just hope I can get them all soldered easily. Even bought a new soldering iron for these...

Wayne

Bill Hoffman wrote:

Ponddude wrote:

I'm good with the double Rainbow, it is a very bright rich Red and a beautiful Blue, I'm not sure if it can get any better than that. But then again, that's just me. :cool:

Bill

Bill,
With your setup on the double, did you notice the spread or coverage increasing at all with both turned on?
I guess it all depends on how well you get the aim or alignment of both to be on top of each other?

terrypowerz wrote:

Bill Hoffman wrote:
Ponddude wrote:

Bill

Bill,
With your setup on the double, did you notice the spread or coverage increasing at all with both turned on?
I guess it all depends on how well you get the aim or alignment of both to be on top of each other?

Terry,

The spread wasn't really affected that much, the single and the double both spread out well. Probably because the 2 boards are vertically mounted in the enclosure, it is not that much wider. Of course, there is some spread difference between the 2, but not what I would call major. The color is where you really notice the difference, side by side, but there again it's double the leds.

I will bring them both, along with the MM and the Portaflood to ICE. Only "8 DAYS" and counting.

Bill

Guest wbottomley

WayneKremer wrote:

I got my 10!  :P  Just hope I can get them all soldered easily.  Even bought a new soldering iron for these...

Wayne

Wayne, they're not bad at all.

After I got in the groove, it went pretty easy.

So, I received some Rainbow flood kits in the mail and built the first one today. After testing it, all LEDs light and I'm happy about that.

But I have a question about the performance of the RF when dimming.

When I start with my DC power supply at 0 volts and ramp it up on all colors at once, the Red LEDs turn on at 5volts. The other two colors are not lit all the way up to 7.5 volts. By the time Green and Blue start to come on at 7.5 volts, Red is pretty bright. As I ramp it up to 12 volts, all three colors are plenty bright and look good.

But as I ramp it down, again I lose Blue and Green at about 7.5 volts with Red still pretty bright. Then Red dims down and goes out at 5 volts...

Is this what other people are seeing? This behavior is pretty different from my RWRs, which light up about 2.5 volts sooner, and while red does come on first, the other colors are right behind it within a few 10ths of a volt...

I'm thinking that an all channel fade up on the RF will look red-centric until the voltage gets high enough for the other lights...Anyone else done any testing?

Thanks, Randy