Light-O-Rama Forums

Rainbow Floods...ASSEMBLED!!

Ponddude

huskernut wrote:

Bill, You did something I was thinking of, left off the connectors and soldered the wires right to the board. Nice job, you can get them into smaller enclosures without the connector on the board and the one on the cable.

I'm considering doing the same. I'll probably use an external Cat-5 jack outside of the enclosure (weatherproofed via a small, inverted plastic 'bag' like I did some of my LED lights in the past)

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ponddude

• Tim Fischer

• Bill Hoffman

• rgardner518

huskernut wrote:

Bill, You did something I was thinking of, left off the connectors and soldered the wires right to the board. Nice job, you can get them into smaller enclosures without the connector on the board and the one on the cable.

I didn’t want anything on the outside of the enclosure, simply because I didn’t want to try to waterproof it, plus the boards will not fit in the small enclosures with the cat5 ends attached. I’m building the small ones to uplight individual trees, and the double ones to color wash my house and garage. I showed these at Light Up Ohio this year, side by side with the Mighty Mini, and the Porta Flood, and the Rainbow Flood was the favorite of the group. Like I said, the Flood and the Wall Runner are different animals, and it depends on your application as to which one would work better for you. Also, the Wall Runners are limited as they are designed for a specific location and use, where the Floods can be moved around and used for things like uplighing trees, ponds, landscape lighting, security, etc. There are advantages to both, like the Wall Runners can stay up all year round, and used for other holidays. It’s just an individual choice, and it’s nice that Greg gives us the choices.

Bill

Attached files 203617=11320-Blue double.JPG

I am working with a manufacturer for waterproof enclosures now. They will have cutouts for the modular jacks that will most like have some sort of gasket on them to make them waterproof. Like I said, we are just in the designing stage for these enclosures, so bare with me. :)

Tim Fischer wrote:

I just put in an order for a sample tonight. Pending some tests, hopefully will be ordering more!

My RF came today. Very fast shipping - thanks Greg!

I think I'll get a RWR and RF to try both out. The RWR seems nice to mount under the eaves of the house. The RF really would light up the whole front of the house, tree, etc.

Bill, does putting 2 RF's together make a huge impact vs. one?

Wayne

WayneKremer wrote:

I think I'll get a RWR and RF to try both out. The RWR seems nice to mount under the eaves of the house. The RF really would light up the whole front of the house, tree, etc.

Bill, does putting 2 RF's together make a huge impact vs. one?

Wayne

It makes a significant impact, and well worth the $14.75 extra, especially with the red. Red is always going to be the least bright of all the colors, but the RF still have the other 2 beat, and with the double boards, it’s a very bright defined red. I’m off for a couple of days, I will try to get some comparison shots, but like I said, I’m no photographer.

Bill

Attached files 203628=11322-Red double.JPG

Tim Fischer wrote:

Tim Fischer wrote:
I just put in an order for a sample tonight. Pending some tests, hopefully will be ordering more!

My RF came today. Very fast shipping - thanks Greg!

Glad you got them Tim. The Postal Service is my new favorite friend. They shipping is cheap and its on your door step in 3 days max! Let me know how you like the lights!

On that note, you guys are really animals when it comes to these things!! :) I just can not keep them in stock. I have placed another order for all the components today and will have everything in 2 weeks max. There are a couple left, but not many, so don't worry if you still want them and haven't gotten any yet...more are to come!!

edit: spelling

Ponddude wrote:

Let me know how you like the lights!

Will do! I'm waiting for my new solder station to arrive (should be here sometime this week) and then an evening where I can sit and knock it together :)

This seems to be a pretty good deal to install the boards. No shipping if you pick it up in the store.

763272-large $22

New: Craftsman 1,000W Tripod Worklight with extra handheld for $22 + $11 s&h
Sears offers the Craftsman 1,000-watt Tripod Worklight (pictured) with a handheld worklight, model no. 14204, for $29.99. Add it to your cart and it drops to $21.99. Shipping adds $10.65, or choose free in-store pickup. That's $18 off and ties our mention from two weeks ago as the lowest total price we could find for the set. Sales tax is added where applicable. This combo includes a tripod worklight with four light levels and extending legs that raise up to 70", two 500-watt bulbs, extra handheld worklight, and more.

Edit to add that the deal expires on 6/20/2010

JBullard wrote:

I used the RJ-45 ECS weather proof jacks for my floods.

IM000315.jpg
John, it looks like you modified the pigtail end of the RJ34ECS to the light housing? What did you do there?

John, that looks great. Can I ask what enclosure you're using? Did it come with the stake, or did you build that all up from parts?

I should let everyone know that it looks like my idea for the enclosures just isn't going to work out. With very preliminary pricing in, it looks like the enclosures, waterproof and all, would end up cost you around 29 bucks. Honestly, I almost fell off my chair when they sent me the pricing. That also was for 150 units and that is where their price breaks end. I am going to still do my research and see what I can come up with to make some sort of enclosure for these that is reasonably priced.

Ponddude wrote:

I should let everyone know that it looks like my idea for the enclosures just isn't going to work out. With very preliminary pricing in, it looks like the enclosures, waterproof and all, would end up cost you around 29 bucks. Honestly, I almost fell off my chair when they sent me the pricing. That also was for 150 units and that is where their price breaks end. I am going to still do my research and see what I can come up with to make some sort of enclosure for these that is reasonably priced.

Since it sounds like the cat5 connectors are going to be on the outside of the enclosure anyway, why couldn't you just cut the holes in the plastic box on the back of the halogens and mount them there. Of course you would have to run the wires.

Bill

Tim Fischer wrote:

John, that looks great. Can I ask what enclosure you're using? Did it come with the stake, or did you build that all up from parts?

Tim,

I found those at Big Lots, came with the stake, a spring clamp and a hanging hook.

I bought all they had at my local store.

EDIT: Price was about $9 They were yellow, a little spray paint fixed that!

zman wrote:

JBullard wrote:

John, it looks like you modified the pigtail end of the RJ34ECS to the light housing? What did you do there?

These housings had a power cord that entered though the back. I used the same wiring path, cut off the male end of the RJ45ECS and direct connected to the circuit board.

JBullard wrote:

Tim Fischer wrote:

Tim,

I found those at Big Lots, came with the stake, a spring clamp and a hanging hook.

Thanks for the info. Looks like it works perfectly...

The Big Lots closest to me closed a few years back so I don't get there often anymore, but I might have to make a point of finding one and tracking these down.

JBullard wrote:

zman wrote:
JBullard wrote:

These housings had a power cord that entered though the back. I used the same wiring path, cut off the male end of the RJ45ECS and direct connected to the circuit board.
Thanks John!

Tim, I know I have seen these type floods at Home Depot at times. The price might not be as good as what John picked them up for. I am going to check Harbor Freight next.

Mark

Tim Fischer wrote:

JBullard wrote:
Tim Fischer wrote:

Tim,

Thanks for the info. Looks like it works perfectly...

The Big Lots closest to me closed a few years back so I don't get there often anymore, but I might have to make a point of finding one and tracking these down.

A bit more money but Home Depot has them here

2a3b1a4b-7b3e-4365-a515-2e17d22b24a7_300.jpg