Light-O-Rama Forums

Rainbow Floods...ASSEMBLED!!

Ponddude

Due to popular demand, the Rainbow Floods are now being offered fully assembled! I know, a lot of you are saying, "They were offered assembled before." Well, you are correct, but the demand for assembled floods has been more than I could have ever imagined. So, I now have a supplier that is going to be making them. They have been ordered and parts are en route to the manufacturer now, but if you want ensure you get some, the pre-order event is going on now. Lights are expect to start shipping on 6/25/10.

You can find the lights here:

http://www.christmasonmanor.com/store/product.php?id_product=25

The product information page can be found here:

http://www.christmasonmanor.com/rainbowfloodlight/rfl.htm

Also, for those that are interested, the DIY version of the Rainbow Floods are back in stock and shipping!

As with any of my pre-sales, if you have any questions, feel free to send me an email at greg@christmasonmanor.com or visit our support forum at www.christmasonmanor.com/forum

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ponddude

• Tim Fischer

• Bill Hoffman

• rgardner518

Just ordered 10 of the kits. Can't beat the price and can't wait to get started on these. Thanks Greg.

Mountainwxman wrote:

I wonder how long it takes to assemble one?

I'll let you know when I receive my kits. Doesn't look like a whole lot of soldering though.

The Floods do not take long at all. I can get one done in about 10 minutes. There are a lot of LEDs, and these LEDs have four pins, so it can take some time. Once you get going and are used to it, you have problem blowing right through them. I actually put in all the LEDs, than place a very thick sponge over the LEDs and flip the whole thing over...very carefully. From there I can solder in all 54 LEDs in one shot.

The reasoning behind the assembled floods is for a few reasons. During the pre-sale I had 97 orders of assembled floods, not to mention the other assembled items. Needless to say, I was a cripple when I was done. I just can not continue to do it myself. The other reason is I was contacted by a lot of people who have never soldered before in their life time. They were very interested in using the lights because of their light output, but just didn't know how to put them together. So, I contacted my supplier and they are now building them for me as well. This really gives everyone the chances to use the lights.

Mountainwxman wrote:

I wonder how long it takes to assemble one?

I can't speak to the floods, but last year's version of the Rainbow Wall Runners (RWR) took me only about 15 minutes a pop once I got set up and going. Very easy to build...

Wow, the box with the floods arrived today. Talk about service; thanks a lot Greg. They look simple enough to assemble. I new they were small, but you actually have to see them to appreciate it. Can't wait to put these together.

Glad you got them Denny!

Let us know how you like them when you get them assembled.

I just put in an order for a sample tonight. Pending some tests, hopefully will be ordering more!

I know that I will be ordering more. It took 15-20 minutes on my first one and most of that was locating all of my tools. Thanks again Greg for the product and service.

-Steve

I am almost certain I am not coming to the mini. Where I live and where the mini is...as they say..."You don't get there from here."

I can send them out to you guys to see if you want...I have done that a bunch of times this year.

I have assembled two of the kits so far, very easy. If anyone needs practice soldering, this is the kit to sharpen your skills. My apologies to Greg too, once I looked at the CORRECT manual, my questions were answered. (He probably thinks I have comprehension problems, as many e-mails that I sent him.) I haven't had a chance to fire up the floods yet, have to dig a DC controller out. Had some air conditioning problems that I had to take care of today -- wife said that was priority with 100+ temps today -- so didn't get into the shed to get one. Can't wait to try them out though.

One question about cat 5 cables. The User Manual talks about cat 5 cable being either Standard 568A or 568B. All my cables are cat5e; is that Standard 568B?

Denny wrote:

One question about cat 5 cables. The User Manual talks about cat 5 cable being either Standard 568A or 568B. All my cables are cat5e; is that Standard 568B?

568a or b refers to the order the pairs are crimped at each end, inside the RJ45 plug, cat5e, is the cable itself, a cat5e cable could be crimped with the a or b standard, or any other way.

I'm going to be ordering one of these and a Rainbow Wall Runner to compare. Does anyone have both to compare output and advantages/disadvantages of each? Thx!

Wayne

Denny,

The wiring is just so you know which wires need to get hooked up. The vast majority of cables now a days are the 568-B standard.

Wayne,

There is a MAJOR difference between light output from the wall runner and the floods. However, when the wall runners are used to light up only a wall, they work just perfectly. It will easily wash a wall with a great amount of color. The floods were designed to be placed 15 to 20 ft away from any surface; wall, tree, fountain, any sort of object, and light it with a tremendous amount of light. They really are two different animals.

WayneKremer wrote:

I'm going to be ordering one of these and a Rainbow Wall Runner to compare. Does anyone have both to compare output and advantages/disadvantages of each? Thx!

Wayne

I have last year's RWR and will soon have the RF, and would be happy to do a compare when I get to the point where that is possible ;)

Note that this year's RWR has a few more red LED's than last year's, but as far as I can tell, the green and blue should be identical, so the compare should be reasonable, other than colors involving red.

I’ve built 10 of the Rainbow Floods so far. I’ve mounted them in single 150w halogen work light enclosures, and mounted 2 of them in a bigger 250w enclosure. Both of them are very bright, and the double one surpasses anything I’ve seen so far. I just built a RWR today, and tested along with a single RF, the effect is completely different, so it depends on what you are looking for. I will be shooting some video and some pics of the side by sides later on. For right now, below are some shots of the double Rainbow Flood, sorry about my lack of photography skills, but I really love these Floods.

Bill

Attached files 203602=11318-Single and Double.JPG

Bill, You did something I was thinking of, left off the connectors and soldered the wires right to the board. Nice job, you can get them into smaller enclosures without the connector on the board and the one on the cable.