Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR Newbie Video

George Simmons

For those of you who've asked, here's what I'm working on with my first CCR. (Cosmic Color Roundie) Pretty basic stuff compared to some of what's out there, to be sure. Darn thing is bright though - almost too bright - and that makes it easy to wash out the color trying to video it (which I've done in some places). But I've got all summer to figure that part out.

If you want to praise and worship me, go ahead. If you're out trolling, I don't have the time to slice and dice you right now - so go bug GFCI Jeff in Jersey instead. (Hope you're feeling better big guy.) Anyone with some good ideas, please pull up a chair and educate me - I'm all ears. These CCRs are pretty cool.

http://vimeo.com/11731792

I also posted on YouBoob. Don't have the address handy - search "Clearwater Lights".

Wow! Pretty cool :cool: Great choice of music :clap: I reckon that the CCRs would look a tad better for you if they were shinning upward rather than to the front ... clearer colours ... and I make this comment just because I like to see my display from inside looking out :D

Hi George,

Looks good, of course I have a few questions:

1. Are you doing this with Macros or individual channel sequencing?

2. Was it pretty easy to mount on the circle form? I have been afraid to flex the ribbon too much in the "sideways" direction. I assume yours is facing Out if you will so it was flexed around the circle. Just wondered if there was any issue you had?

Thanks
Rick

I can't believe I just spent 3 minutes watching lights go around in circles.

Please post a backwards version so I can unwind my eye balls.

(yes, I'm too lazy to watch in a mirror)

Looks good, awesome song selection too!

Glenn

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. In order:

Kel - I've been viewing the CCR from directly in front. Just for grins I'll move it around on the PVC to see how it looks more from the edge, but I'm not sure what kind of difference that will make, as I really haven't had any issues with the colors of the CCR being unclear. I do, however, need to get more proficient with the video camera.

Jeff - I was wondering if anyone would catch on to that one.

Good one Pete... I'll make a smart aleck out of you yet.

Rick - Individual channel sequencing. I'm still not one with macros. (Nor do they do many things I like or would use at this point.) Maybe I'll give them a try again. The manual said it was okay to flex it sideways as tightly as a 3' diameter turn. The circle is approximately 5' in diameter so I figured it would be okay. I used 3/4" grey PVC and zip-tied it at every joint between pixels. The only issue is that after it got outside and it sat in the sun it stretched out a little and I had to snug it a bit tighter to take out the buckles. This required removing about half of it and replacing one of the sections of PVC (the one I cut initially after it seemed the ribbon would come up short) to get the ribbon's ends to meet up exactly. I'd advise letting it thoroughly warm up in the sun before attaching it to any type of frame if you only want to do it once.

Glenn - Perry Como was one of my mom's favorites when I was a kid. Once I decided what I wanted to do with the CCR it just seemed like a natural song to do.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Jeff - I'm really looking forward to LOR's new software. If they're able to cut even half off the programming time for the CCR I'll be a happy duck.

Dan - it's approximately 5 feet. I started with pvc equalling the total length of the CCR and then shortened it as needed to account for the slight buckling of the ribbon as I zip-tied it to the pvc. I wish my camera captured the exact colors - that thing is one bright item and the colors are quite fetching.

That's really nice George.
Hey just a thought you would be a good person to give us a few tutorials on how you did your sequencing.
again Great Job ;)

Joe

George Simmons wrote:

Thanks Jeff - I'm really looking forward to LOR's new software. If they're able to cut even half off the programming time for the CCR I'll be a happy duck.

Dan - it's approximately 5 feet. I started with pvc equalling the total length of the CCR and then shortened it as needed to account for the slight buckling of the ribbon as I zip-tied it to the pvc. I wish my camera captured the exact colors - that thing is one bright item and the colors are quite fetching.

George, could you cycle it through the color spectrum slowly please?

Great job George, just ordered a CCR from the summer sale and can't wait to add it to my display. Any recommended reading or tips for a 1st time CCR guy? I'm running 48 channels of LOR and done many hours of programming however am a little nervous after reading some of the posts that it will require many more hours in front of my computor.

Wow, I'm impressed. I am the guy with the 12 CCRs coming down from a star so I appreciate what it takes to sequence them. Your video gives me some ideas of what to do with mine.

Also, I had not thought of doing a circle. I have some software that helps me sequence the CCR, but I had not thought of doing it in circles, hmmm, another challenge.

-Brian Bruderer

Marty Belisle wrote:

Any recommended reading or tips for a 1st time CCR guy?

My only advice is to start playing around with it just as soon as you get it. Hopefully LOR will soon release their newest software which is reputed to have features that make programming a CCR much easier than it is today. But you know how promises of new software are (no matter who makes the promise) - believe it when you see it. I personally haven't had much success with macros for the CCR and they're pretty basic as it is and don't meet my personal needs. You'll want to get the rest of your sequencing done so you have the time to practice, practice, practice with the CCR. It's a lot of tedious work but looks really cool when you get it to do what you want it to.

JLDavis - I don't think I know how to cycle it through colors yet. But if I manage to do it by accident, I'll shoot a video and post it.

Brian - I can't even imagine programming 12 of them (or being able to afford a dozen of them). What you've done with them is pretty awesome.

George,

You did a great job. Now I can learn from all of you guys this year and save up the money for some CCR's next year.

I'm so excited just to get my first LOR order.

Will be watching to see what else you come up with on the CCR.

TH

• The topic was locked