Light-O-Rama Forums

Shortening strings of lights

Terry Hurrle

I need to shorten some strings of lights to anywhere from 15 to 30 bulbs. Is it possible to put a resister inline before the lights to cut the wattage down so I dont fry the light bulbs? If so any recommendations on the size of the resister?
Thanks
Terry

It isn't really practical to use a resistor to cut down incandescent strings because the wattage of that resistor would be quite large in many cases to be able to drop enough voltage to run the lights at their native voltage. There would also be a lot of heat to deal with from that resistor.

One alternative is just to buy shorter strings. They make them in 35s and 20s, for example. Or if you use LEDs, those can be shortened by rebuilding the rectifier circuit. And since they don't use as much energy, the resistor values are usually 1 or 2 watts (depending on how many bulbs you're using).

Also, depending on what you're using the shorter strings for, something that I've done on a few of my decorations is to wrap the leftover bulbs with black electrical tape to hide the remaining bulbs. You can also buy "Blackout caps" to cover the unused bulbs if they're more visible.

So there are a few ideas to help out...

Thanks, Randy

Thanks for the reply. I have some black out caps. I have not seen 35 or 20 count stings in the stores but I have not looked for them since I used to use 300 or larget until I went with LOR. I will look around this year because what I am building now won't go into my show until 2011. I do things in advance as you can tell.
Terry

Terry,

The only place I've seen 35's is at Menards. In years past they've carried clear and multis. The only place I've seen 20s is Wally World - again only clear and multis - but get them early in the season if you want colors as the multis sell out early.

Terry:

For shorter strings, try local crafts shops. (Oops - I guess "local" might have a little different quantification in Idaho.) Nonetheless, we have Ben Franklins, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc., here, and they often carry shorter light strings year round for decorating purposes. Of course, the prices probably won't be that great, but it's a thought.

Good luck!

Cray

Thanks for the replies. There are places on the web that have 20 and 35 for about 1.59 a box. I am not going to need a bunch this year but I am doing some things for 2011. I will check local stores before Christmas to get the projects done. WE do have local things in Idaho. We are far enough from the major city that our local Wal Mart has many lights left that they put on sale January 1 and still don't sell out. I picked up 65 boxes last year and will go for a couple hundred this year at .59 a box.

Sorry, Terry. I certainly did not mean to demean Idaho. :D It simply occurred to me as I was writing that there might not be a lot of chain-type craft stores in your area. Sounds like it doesn't matter, though -- the prices you've stated sound far more reasonable than any crafts store.

And, it sounds like I might do well to visit your WalMart for the 100 or so strings I'm gonna be looking for this year. :)

Cray

As we watched, we kept thinking he wasn't gonna make it. Sure happy for him that he did.

Course, we'uns are still all barefoot and pregnant. But now the country knows we can sang with sum feelin', too! :)

Cray

Minnesota must be more sheltered than I thought - who's Kevin Skinner? With a name like that, and being from Kentucky, my first guess is that he's a road kill chef on the Food Channel or somethig...

Terry Hurrle wrote:

Thanks for the replies. There are places on the web that have 20 and 35 for about 1.59 a box. I am not going to need a bunch this year but I am doing some things for 2011. I will check local stores before Christmas to get the projects done. WE do have local things in Idaho. We are far enough from the major city that our local Wal Mart has many lights left that they put on sale January 1 and still don't sell out. I picked up 65 boxes last year and will go for a couple hundred this year at .59 a box.

Hi Terry,

Where on the web did you find 20 & 35 ct strands for that price? I'm looking for solid red mini's in that count size.

Tks!

Joe

George Simmons wrote:

Minnesota must be more sheltered than I thought - who's Kevin Skinner? With a name like that, and being from Kentucky, my first guess is that he's a road kill chef on the Food Channel or somethig...

LOL - Yeah, the name kind of sets the image doesn't it.

Kevin Skinner is a down-home country boy who's had a lot of hard times. And it shows in the way he sings from his heart. When he first hit "America's Got Talent" he pretty much blew the judges away, simply because his talent was obvious and it was 180 degrees from the what they expected. But then he kept it up, and each week he was invited back 'til he finally won the competition.

Sure Kentucky has produced a few people who stand out, but it's always great to see anyone (from any state) be real and perform as Kevin does. Check out the link ainsworth provided.

Cray

There is a logical method to shorten SOME (key word) strings including leds.

If you pull one bulb and the entire light string shuts down you cannot shorten that string. But if any portion of the string shuts down then you can shorten that amount.

I shorten strings all the time. I start by removing bulbs and figure out where the wires can be cut. Then I simply soider a plug in that spot. A typical 70bulb led string is actually two 35 stings. The center of the sting has 2 wires instead of the 3. A typical 300 bulb icicle lights have about 4 different spots you can cut and add another plug.

#1 don't cut while plugged in!!!

#2 take a string you can afford to mess up, start unplugging lights to figure out where the cut points are but watching what lights go out...

It's pretty easy once you figure out where to cut the wires...

Thejones wrote:

I have a question on this too... not mini's but C7s and C9s. If I cut those down will I fry the bulbs?

No. You can size those however you need them.