Jump to content
Light-O-Rama Forums
jerrymac

DMX and LOR for Dummies

Recommended Posts

jerrymac    77

I posted this question in the Hardware section in error. I am looking for a hardware basics and interaction for DMX with LOR. (any place I can go and read?) It appears that RGB is the future for lighting. Some sort of DMX for dummies would help to understand where to go. Do I need to use the LOR. Do I have to use the DIO card or are their other options for adding DMX?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rgardner518    0

I want to say, if someone wanted to convert over to DMX, its very expensive to do so. Is the effect REALLY that great? I'm seen DMX used but I don't think its mind blowing? Or am I wrong? If you had DMX alrightly than I can see maybe doing it. But I'm still not convened about it. Plus here in upstate NY we "get snow" Plus "LOTS" of ice! LOR Dan will back me on that! I personally believe most DMX is not designed for outdoors.

So to me its like putting a Maserati GranCabrio, with the doors unlock and top down, keys in the ignition, with the car running, in a really "bad" neighborhood, and "hope" it don't get stolen! You know its Gone before you close the door.

Am I wrong, on the fact that most DMX is not designed for the outdoors?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
racernut    0

Since this is for dummies I need a couple of answers.

If I incorporate 2 Lasers into my show that they say will work with the iDMX-1000
Intelligent DMX512 Converter do I need just one 1602W box to go with this?

They say each laser takes 8 channels.

Also, can I program these lights on my regular LOR sequence editor?

These probably have been answered before but I couldn't find anything that applied.

Thanks for any help.

Arthur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

racernut wrote:

Since this is for dummies I need a couple of answers.

If I incorporate 2 Lasers into my show that they say will work with the iDMX-1000
Intelligent DMX512 Converter do I need just one 1602W box to go with this?

They say each laser takes 8 channels.

Also, can I program these lights on my regular LOR sequence editor?

These probably have been answered before but I couldn't find anything that applied.

Thanks for any help.

Arthur


You will only need the iDMX1000 to control the lasers, but the iDMX1000 will need to powered either threw another LOR controller or a 12 volt wall transformer.

And yes, you can program the lasers in the sequence editor just like you would regular Christmas lights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
racernut    0

Thanks for the reply Brandon.

So when they say eight channels will the lasers need eight power sources each from the 1602W?

Just wondered how they would be connected.

Do I need any other adapters for the iDMX-1000?

Thanks for all the help.

Arthur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chadh    0

racernut wrote:

Thanks for the reply Brandon.

So when they say eight channels will the lasers need eight power sources each from the 1602W?

Just wondered how they would be connected.

Do I need any other adapters for the iDMX-1000?

Thanks for all the help.

Arthur


Not quite. First lets explain what the IDMX does. It takes the information that LOR sends out and changes it over to native DMX. A DMX universe has 512 channels. The IDMX creates one universe. Since your laser takes 8 channels, it will use 8 of the 512. You will only need one 12v power supply connected into the IDMX. You do not need a 1602w to control your laser. You can connect your computer directly to the IDMX via the usb booster and a cat5 cable. From the IDMX to your laser you will need a standard 3 pin xlr cable. From here you set up your sequence just like any other sequence. Your laser's owners manual should tell you what each of the 8 channels does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zman    71

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

I want to say, if someone wanted to convert over to DMX, its very expensive to do so. Is the effect REALLY that great? I'm seen DMX used but I don't think its mind blowing? Or am I wrong? If you had DMX alrightly than I can see maybe doing it. But I'm still not convened about it. Plus here in upstate NY we "get snow" Plus "LOTS" of ice! LOR Dan will back me on that! I personally believe most DMX is not designed for outdoors.

So to me its like putting a Maserati GranCabrio, with the doors unlock and top down, keys in the ignition, with the car running, in a really "bad" neighborhood, and "hope" it don't get stolen! You know its Gone before you close the door.

Am I wrong, on the fact that most DMX is not designed for the outdoors?




Wow, being out of the country for a week and look at all the fun I missed. Before I continue, those that know me, know I support LOR 100%.

DMX does not have to be expensive. DMX is only a protocol, just like LOR. Take away the LOR controllers, and LOR is a way to talk to hardware, it just so happens to be proprietary hardware and software. DMX is an open standard, which means that you can find fixtures of any type, shape or function to run with DMX. Yes they can be expensive, but in many ways very economical. It's a matter of choice.

If you want to explore DIY options, there are plenty of inexpensive ways to go the way of DMX. Now couple that with an LOR PC Controller and you have a very ecomomincal DMX dimmer pack that does the exact same thing as it does within an LOR network.

Now as far as DMX contributing any more to theft and vandalism, well, anytime you invite visitors to your display, you invite the possibility for that to happen, period. DMX does not make that more attractive.

IMHO, DMX is going to take most displays to the next level when you explore the options out there. Imagine a Mega Tree with an RGB pixel network that can control color, action, and video. LOR will have limitations when it comes to controlling something like that. There are software wizards designed for DMX that will assist with this, today.

DMX was designed with the theater in mind. To that extent most of the fixtures are indoor rated. In our hobby, we do come up with creative ways to keep the weather off stuff. DMX does require some added attention to do this, or, you can find outdoor rated fixtures. For washes, the DIY world has plenty of cool options here. I live in Seattle with snow, wind and rain to contend with. I have a decent DMX universe incorporated, and all my growth in the future is going to be in DMX. I also have a very large LOR network, that I am very happy I can continue to take advantage of.

DMX to me is all about options. You have WAY more options in that world, than with a 100% LOR network. Dan was ahead of the curve opening up LOR's hardware to react to both native DMX and LOR.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NWSanta    10

Wow, I have a lot of reading to do.... This sounds interesting and I'd like to learn more. So I'm glad that all of you have posted stuff and I'm sure I'll have questions.

Cheers
Evan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dmoore    12

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

I want to say, if someone wanted to convert over to DMX, its very expensive to do so. Is the effect REALLY that great? I'm seen DMX used but I don't think its mind blowing? Or am I wrong? If you had DMX alrightly than I can see maybe doing it. But I'm still not convened about it. Plus here in upstate NY we "get snow" Plus "LOTS" of ice! LOR Dan will back me on that! I personally believe most DMX is not designed for outdoors.

So to me its like putting a Maserati GranCabrio, with the doors unlock and top down, keys in the ignition, with the car running, in a really "bad" neighborhood, and "hope" it don't get stolen! You know its Gone before you close the door.

Am I wrong, on the fact that most DMX is not designed for the outdoors?


DMX is only a protocol. Think of this - when two people speak, that is the "transport" or the method used to exchange information (as opposed to writing a letter or using smoke signals). Both LOR and DMX both use the same "transport" which is called "485" - this is why an LOR controller has no problem talking with other DMX devices. Moving up a layer in the example above, we can speak in different languages - LOR is one language and DMX is another. Each has it's pros and cons just as any language but still it's just a different language. So, as long as all the items are talking together in the same language - LOR or DMX, then no problem. When you want to translate between the LOR and DMX languages, you use an iDMX box.

So, ice, cold or anything of the such doesn't matter at all since if you can figure out a way that electrons slow down in New York weather, then the LOR network will suffer the same problem. Weather has NOTHING to do with DMX and more than it does LOR.

This year I've switched over to DMX (including my LOR controllers) since I'm using dozens of $6 three channel DMX controllers in my display. Others want to use the hundred of different DMX devices that LOR doesn't offer.

Do some investigation and I think you'll come to the conclusion that others have (including LOR) that DMX has a place in displays.

Here is an article that covers very detailed difference between DMX and LOR protocols:

http://www.holidaycoro.com/2010LSHWorkshop/DMX%20and%20LOR%20Protocols.pdf

Here is a diagram that shows a DMX network and LOR network hooked together:

http://www.holidaycoro.com/2010LSHWorkshop/Lynx%20with%20LOR%20Cabling%20Topology.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nick_l    0

dmoore
This year I've switched over to DMX (including my LOR controllers) since I'm using dozens of $6 three channel DMX controllers in my display. 


I'd love to know more about these!


Nick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dmoore    12

nick_l wrote:

dmoore
This year I've switched over to DMX (including my LOR controllers) since I'm using dozens of $6 three channel DMX controllers in my display.



I'd love to know more about these!


Nick


You'll need to read through a number of other posts in the same thread but there are photos, sources, costs and programming information located here:

http://diylightanimation.com/index.php?topic=2842.0



(you may need to register to see it)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
matt_grooms    0

David,

Thanks for the five minute tutor on DMX. I'm sold. I'll be adding some DMX devices running under LOR S2 control.

Two questions please:

1) slide 11 states that the LOR iDMX1000 protocol converter is only needed if your LOR environment does not have native DMX capability (LOR S2). This is the newer software (right?) yet it doesn't have DMX support (existing in ver 1 and was dropped?)?

My controllers and SW were purchased spring 2010 (latest firmware) so I have the S2 software. Do I need the protocol adapter (on sale today) or just the wiring adapters?

2) Whats the best source /latest news on the $6 3 chan DMX dongles. The DYI site has lot's of traffic and many direct from China sources mentioned for the dongles and the address programmer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dmoore    12

matt_grooms wrote:

David,

Thanks for the five minute tutor on DMX. I'm sold. I'll be adding some DMX devices running under LOR S2 control.

Two questions please:

1) slide 11 states that the LOR iDMX1000 protocol converter is only needed if your LOR environment does not have native DMX capability (LOR S2). This is the newer software (right?) yet it doesn't have DMX support (existing in ver 1 and was dropped?)?

My controllers and SW were purchased spring 2010 (latest firmware) so I have the S2 software. Do I need the protocol adapter (on sale today) or just the wiring adapters?

2) Whats the best source /latest news on the $6 3 chan DMX dongles. The DYI site has lot's of traffic and many direct from China sources mentioned for the dongles and the address programmer.


1 - I think you would be refering to the statement "Only required when you don’t have native DMX support in the software (LOR S2)" - LOR S2 does not have native support for DMX, it can only "talk" the LOR protocol, thus the idmx-1000 is required to convert from LOR to DMX. Thus, if you want to use a DMX device and run LOR S2, you WILL need an IDMX-1000.

2 - The thread that was referenced over at DIYC is the current information and includes links to where to purchase them (AliExpress.com from Ray Wu's store). There is no free lunch here - this isn't out of the box easy like LOR items so you'll need to spend some time reading and researching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
matt_grooms    0

Thanks for clarification. I'll order an iDMX1000 before the sale ends.

I've been reviewing the various links at DIYlighting, etc. There's a lot to absorb, but it's now clear that the future lies in inexpensive LED products and DMX controllers from China combined with DMX specialty items (RGB spots, washes, fog, snow, laser, etc) from the exisitng American sources catering to the live music and theater communities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ehgilman    4

Check out ZMAN's website on DMX basics. Here

Also if you want to control your DMX fixtures with LOR. You will need a iDMX1000 from LOR.

Is there a new link for this? this one does not work anymore.  :-(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HVACR    4

This link does'nt work. Please advise.

 

Check out ZMAN's website on DMX basics. Here

 

Thanks HVACR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×