Light-O-Rama Forums

When should Orbitz boxes go on sale?

Guest guest

Two tries. First Home Depot told me they don't match out of state Home Depot prices (which seems like it could be to my advantage, if I bought something cheaper at an out of state Home Depot for $10 then returned it at my Home Depot for $20, but I digress). They turned me down at the customer service counter, which made me think I was making it too much of a production and therefore giving them an opportunity to deny me.

So at the 2nd Home Depot location, I went to a checkout line instead. I also never asked if they price match. Just plunked down a stack of 3 time boxes with the $18.99 receipt on top, stated that a friend bought these at another location earlier this week, and that I would like the same price. This girn looked at the reciept, called over another cashier, asked what the proper register keys were to make the change, and rang me up. Out the door I went with $29.99 Orbit boxes that I paid $18.99 for.

Thanks all!

K9smith thank you very much it seems that the Home Depot police here is CA are very active and don't give any breaks. I went to three HD and no go, I even did the same thing DavBro did and the head cashier called the management for an OK and denied me. So I thought about it and went to Lowe's for a price match brought 8 boxes to the service counter and showed them the HD receipt. The Manager looked at the sku match and said "WOW that's a great deal $18.19" our price is $28.99, I guess I’ll match it since your buying that many. Told him I would of bought more but you don't have any more left :], he told me when the next shipment date was and if I needed more let him know. He just said make sure you keep shopping here and not the other place. Anyway I got what I needed for now :waycool:. If I persisted with HD, I know I would have been able to get it done, but hey just like electricity,

I take the path of least resistance
:laughing:. The stores must be wondering why does anyone need that many timer boxes.

Ok I have to confess. I cut off the store location and just told each cashier that a friend bought these at another store for this price and they had no more in stock. So there you have it I am a baaaaaaaaaaad boy.

So, if Home Depot won't match their own price, what do you do? Go to Lowe's, of course. Not only did I get the price match, but the 10% difference award as well. $16.38 each.

Thanks again K9Smith! Saved me $100.00

By the way, nearby neighbors in Raleigh, don't expect to find any of these at the Garner or N. Raleigh Lowe's stores. I emptied the 3 and 5 they had respectively. The Cary (Crossroads) Lowes has already switched to the Rainbird equivalent, so a price match there is unlikely (There was stock of the Rainbirds at both the other locations as well, therefore I think the Orbit is old inventory).

Moving Target in NC

Can anyone help me out? I could only find the one box. I need 2 or 3 more. If someone could find them for me i would be happy to send the money along with the cost of shipping in advance. Thanks , Joe:waycool:

K9smith, I can check Lowes I took all the stock they had but they should have some comming in soon. The only problem is not sure on the shipping from here in CA. But would be glad to help out since you helped me.

Wow, I can't believe any cashier would believe a printed-out (vs. on a cashier tape) receipt with the location cut off and credit card # scratched out was anything but an internet post :laughing:). Most likely they are just told to match prices and not ask questions in this case.

Although they did crack down on some 20% off coupons earlier this year. This was a big topic of discussion on the woodworking forum I frequent. You could buy 20% off coupons on ebay for a few bucks, but many were counterfeit, and HD caught on and cancelled the whole coupon unless you could prove you were an employee (they were originally meant only for family and friends).

On the other hand, I've purchased 10% off coupons for both Lowes and HD on eBay. For like $3 I saved $350 on our deck project last summer, and another $35 on a power washer I bought this year. Is this ethical? I have no idea-- some of the newer coupons say "not to be sold" but to get around that, some ebay sellers are saying the coupon is free and you're paying a convenience charge, a-la TicketMaster...

-Tim

P.S. TicketMaster is a great name for what they do, since we're all slaves to their hideous "convenience charges"...

you are not kidding about Ticketmaster!

Order Detail
[align=left]
Order Date
Order #
Amount

09/08/06
6-17188/ATL
US $111.80
[/align]

Event

AEROSMITH / MOTLEY CRUE
Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Charlotte
Charlotte, NC
09/21/06 - 07:30 PM

[align=left]
Section
Row
Type
Ticket Price
Convenience Charge
Description

LAWN19

ADULT
US $45.00
US $8.60

LAWN19

ADULT
US $45.00
US $8.60

Seats:1 to 2 | seating chart[/align]

Charge Summary
[align=left]
Item
Charge

Tickets

ADULT Tickets
Total Convenience Charge(s)
US $45.00 x 2
US $8.60 x 2

Order Processing Charge
US $4.60

TOTAL CHARGES
US $111.80[/align]

Brad Caudill wrote:

you are not kidding about Ticketmaster!

What gets me is that it's more expensive to buy on the internet then it is to walk up to a counter somewhere. In theory, the internet order could be completely automated, from the ticket printing to the envelope stuffing to dropping it in the mailbag, never having to pay a single human. But when I spend 10 minutes talking to a ticket rep, that makes an hourly wage, I pay less. Hmm...

So you paid $90 for tickets and $21.80 for the privilege of buying from TicketMaster. Gotta love it...

Since we're completely drifting off-topic, I remember back in the 80's when most concerts were around $20 or so, and I thought that was really expensive. I remember thinking "hey I could by the record/tape for a lot less then that!" :laughing:

So how was the concert? Never had you pegged to be an 80's music guy -- now I like you even more :happytree:.

-Tim

Saw Tina Turner in 1982 second row seats for $22.50 each!!!

I remember we went to 3 Rivers Stadium in Pittsburg and saw Beach Boys, Jan and Dean, Axis and a bunch more. It was an all day affair and we brought our coolers and mixers :laughing:. Sat withing 30 feet of the stage.

Now for the HD receipt. I just came out and told them I was talking to a friend and he told me the price so I had him send me a copy. One tried to give me a little grief so I said no problem just go to Lowes as they are $20 there. Bingo!!

Oh, and Tim you are starting to tell your age with those ticket prices.:shock:

well Tim, Tara is the 80's buff. She is stuck there. I liked the concert though. Language at times was a little rough and an upside down cross in a video I did not care for but that is Motley Crue for ya. Aerosmith was awesome. A few months back we went up there for Def Leopard and Journey. Oddly enough I ran into my cousin and his wife and kid and we never knew he was heavy into the music. So we ran into him again lastnight and sat together. Now my lungs feel heavy from cig smoke and even some pot smoke. Where is a good cop that will do his job when you need one.

k9smith wrote:

Can anyone help me out? I could only find the one box. I need 2 or 3 more. If someone could find them for me i would be happy to send the money along with the cost of shipping in advance. Thanks , Joe:waycool:

k9smith, I'll look for you tomorrow at the 2 Lowe's I haven't hit up yet. If I find them, I'll go ahead and get them, then let you know. If you've already worked out something by then, I can save them for next year (I can already use the GFCI inside them for current year plan).

Moving Target in NC

Struck out (only Rainbirds in stock) at the two newer Lowe's, and they won't match the price on Rainbird with the Orbit.

2 Home Depots have them in stock, but at the 29.99 price, and they won't price match other Home Depots.

Bummer.

k9smith wrote:

Thanks guys let me know what you find.

Hey k9smith, I also printed your receipt with the intention of trying a price match. When I did, I noticed it was from the Chesterfield location near where I work. Since you said they were cleaned out, I headed to the one by my house (O'Fallon, MO on Highway K) yesterday and they had at least 9 of them in the plumbing isle on a temporary shelf unit. I snagged 5 of them and they rang up $18.19 so I didn't need the receipt afterall!

Anyway, there were 4 left on that shelf as of yesterday and I saw another large cardboard Orbit box above the sprinkler merchandise so there may be more in there. You might want to make the trip out west this week.

Scott

PS. In case you're not familiar with the area, take I-64 west to Route K north. The Depot will be a few miles north on your left just before the Mexico road intersection.