Light-O-Rama Forums

Age Limit?

shfr26

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Ok, I gotta ask.. How many started doing this when you got to be.. oh.. 50-ish? I know a lot have been doing nice displays since you could afford to, but can getting into LOR be catagorized as a mid-life crisis thing? Kids are gone, means less things to spend $$ on (freeing up disposible cash).. I know it sounds silly, and there are other avenues for the 'escapism" (like my crotchrocket and cruiser motorcycles, but I wont go there), but with the age polls here, and seems the most answers are right close to 50-ish, is it more than just a coincidence? Might make a good college Pysch paper topic, huh? ;)

TJ

O.K. I'm in the late 50's so to answer your questions.

1. Kids gone---No they moved back in.

2.Less things to spend money on---- Brought grandkid with so, no more exspenses.

3. Other 'escapism"--- No, no more room ,they took over all the rooms and my garage.

4.Would I have it any other way? No, love them all, most of the time.

Last year was my first with LOR and I was 57. With any luck I will get another 15-20 years out of this.;) Maybe longer if I don't have to climb tree's and roof to put up lights.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shfr26

• jimswinder

• Surfing4Dough

• George Simmons

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Ok, I gotta ask.. How many started doing this when you got to be.. oh.. 50-ish? I know a lot have been doing nice displays since you could afford to, but can getting into LOR be catagorized as a mid-life crisis thing? Kids are gone, means less things to spend $$ on (freeing up disposible cash).. I know it sounds silly, and there are other avenues for the 'escapism" (like my crotchrocket and cruiser motorcycles, but I wont go there), but with the age polls here, and seems the most answers are right close to 50-ish, is it more than just a coincidence? Might make a good college Pysch paper topic, huh? ;)

TJ
I am 67, will be 68 in December. For a short time, I was the ruling LOR "Old Fart".
I started "heavy" decorating after I retired from law enforcement in 1994 (age 52). Started with static lights, but progressed to LOR, and eventually to where I am today. 17 controllers, 100,000 + lights, and all the other related paraphernalia. Yes, it is somewhat costly to indulge in this "habit". I figure, I worked hard to get where I am, I'm spending my money as I want, and if there is anything left, after my wife and I are gone, the kids can have it. (which there will be)
Why do I do it?? I'm sure most on this forum have a similar story and reason.
I truly enjoy it, I get such an emotional high from doing it. It is like an adrenaline rush for me.
I intend to do this as long as I am physically able.

On a side note, recently,here in Nevada, our former Governor died when he fell off his roof, cleaning pine needles off his roof.
I have taken a lot of grief from my friends and neighbors for getting on my roof.
To quote one neighbor, "I knew the Governor, stay off the @#$%* roof."
Will I heed everyone's advice, .....of course not!!

Gar, Thanks I'm thinking its normal what and when we do this to ourselves! I'm down in Phoenix, maybe I'll fly up and see your yard this year. ;)

TJ Hvasta wrote:

TJ

I still have an 8 year old at home, and a 2 year old grandaughter (who's eyes bug out when she sees the lights..so this year, first one with LOR, should be fun..)...not enough room in the empty nest just yet...

It's simply a progression of the techie/geek side of me..my wife understands and accepts..if it isn't robots..it's Christmas lights..we're fortunate enough to be able to throw some money at silly things (hence her birthday getaway trip to las vegas next week with best friend..)..for me, it's twinkly lights and such.

It's also an escape from the day job, which is more wireless/telecom executive, and gets me back to my techie roots...

My wife would say, however, there are still enough "issues" where a psych major could do a thesis on me...:?

GaryBo wrote:

TJ Hvasta wrote:

TJ
I am 67, will be 68 in December. For a short time, I was the ruling LOR "Old Fart".
I started "heavy" decorating after I retired from law enforcement in 1994 (age 52). Started with static lights, but progressed to LOR, and eventually to where I am today. 17 controllers, 100,000 + lights, and all the other related paraphernalia. Yes, it is somewhat costly to indulge in this "habit". I figure, I worked hard to get where I am, I'm spending my money as I want, and if there is anything left, after my wife and I are gone, the kids can have it. (which there will be)
Why do I do it?? I'm sure most on this forum have a similar story and reason.
I truly enjoy it, I get such an emotional high from doing it. It is like an adrenaline rush for me.
I intend to do this as long as I am physically able.

On a side note, recently,here in Nevada, our former Governor died when he fell off his roof, cleaning pine needles off his roof.
I have taken a lot of grief from my friends and neighbors for getting on my roof.
To quote one neighbor, "I knew the Governor, stay off the @#$%* roof."
Will I heed everyone's advice, .....of course not!!

Gary just pipped me on the age stakes - I'll be 67 in Nov. I started decorating about the time I retired in 2003. We had just moved to a new neighbourhood and I thought a few lights would suit the house, but more importantly, IMPRESS the grandchildren who were preschool at that time. When I put up my first lights, little did I know that other houses in our cul-de-sac had been decorating seriously for some years and consequently, my few lights were rather insignificant.

A shared interest in lights gave a great introduction to our neighbours and consequently, my lights multiplied rapidly. About this time, I discovered the on-line lights community and LOR. During my working life, I had always had involvement with computers for analysing engineering problems. The thought of computer controlled lights was fascinating and I started experimenting with my first 2 LOR boards in 2005 to check whether they would operate with Australian lights which were all low voltage with transformer power packs. LOR worked with some minor limitations.

In 2006, we moved to a low set home and the lights and channels have continued to grow - all new boards have been DC in the past 2 years. Like Gary, I intend to continue this hobby while I am physically able. I find it gives me great satisfaction as well as giving pleasure to the children and neighbourhood. There are not many persuits where complete strangers come and praise the results your hobby. If anybody had suggested to me 10 years ago that I would become a lights fanatic, I would have laughed in their face, but life is full of unexpected twists & turns. This hobby is convenient in that it is home based. My wife is not very mobile, consequently we do not go out a lot. The lights provide a focus and interest through out the year.

Like Gary, I also recieve jibes about spending time on the roof and in the ceiling space where I store many lights. I guess I'm lucky in that our roof which is easy to access and low pitch.

Regards Geoff

I am the current LOR "Old Fart" at 69. I did my first display last year with 32 channels. How did I start? I saw a video on "youtube" of music and flashing lights to the music. I watched it over and over and said to myself, "I want to be able to do that". It was so cool. At the time, I only had a static display. I started to google on line to see what it took to do it. That's when I decided to order a couple controllers and the software. I had to convince the wife first. After receiving the controllers, I was outside hooking up extension cords to the controllers in my winter coat (lots of snow on the porch). My neighbors thought I was crazy. When I was done connecting cords , I started to run the display. At first very few cars stopped to view the display. Then a few nights later several cars stopped and watched. They would honk their horns when it was done. It felt good to get the recognition. My display was minor compared to the great displays you see on the internet now. I had fun and my neighbors enjoyed it. All but one neighbor, you know how that goes. I hope to do better this christmas.

By the way Garybo, I thank you for the "Old Fart" award. You are a great person and I enjoy your posts. In my book you are still the best and most distinguished "Old Fart".

http://vimeo.com/13432171

• 1 month later...

evandewindt wrote:

23 for me

Welcome to LOR and this madness we all share! Be sure to do lots of reading, ask lots of questions (most here like to help), and buy a lot of extension cords!

• 1 month later...

25 Here in my 3rd year of the obsession 16 channels to 32 channels to 96 channels... I am thinking of slowing down the expansion a little bit next year, but I could not help myself this year

Richard M wrote:

I am the current LOR "Old Fart" at 69. I did my first display last year with 32 channels. How did I start? I saw a video on "youtube" of music and flashing lights to the music. I watched it over and over and said to myself, "I want to be able to do that". It was so cool. At the time, I only had a static display. I started to google on line to see what it took to do it. That's when I decided to order a couple controllers and the software. I had to convince the wife first. After receiving the controllers, I was outside hooking up extension cords to the controllers in my winter coat (lots of snow on the porch). My neighbors thought I was crazy. When I was done connecting cords , I started to run the display. At first very few cars stopped to view the display. Then a few nights later several cars stopped and watched. They would honk their horns when it was done. It felt good to get the recognition. My display was minor compared to the great displays you see on the internet now. I had fun and my neighbors enjoyed it. All but one neighbor, you know how that goes. I hope to do better this christmas.

By the way Garybo, I thank you for the "Old Fart" award. You are a great person and I enjoy your posts. In my book you are still the best and most distinguished "Old Fart".

http://vimeo.com/13432171

I have almost the same story. Last year I bought a Gemmy system from Sam's Club 12 channels/10 songs. It was cool, but I wanted more. I was amazed with all the videos on YouTube and started looking into how to do it and got hooked on this forum and LOR. I'm starting with 32 channels this year and hope to tripple for next year. I built two flowerbeds this year with hand made led lighting built in as my signature pieces and plan to expand my lighting technique next year.

• 4 weeks later...

icer5k wrote:

21 now, but was 18 when I got my first (8 channel) controller.

Ever since then, the channel count just keeps going up...

Welcome to the LOR forums! Even though it took you a while, it is nice to see that you have joined us and admitted to your addiction. :)

Austen wrote:

I turned 19 last Tuesday, Nov 2.

I started when I was 16.

That is very cool. My parents supported me with a lot of my techie endeavors at that age (mainly ham radio), but if LOR had existed back in the mid-70s, I may have had a whole different hobby (besides DX and girls..:D).

DonFL wrote:

Austen wrote:
I turned 19 last Tuesday, Nov 2.

I started when I was 16.

That is very cool. My parents supported me with a lot of my techie endeavors at that age (mainly ham radio), but if LOR had existed back in the mid-70s, I may have had a whole different hobby (besides DX and girls..:D).

My parents pay for the energy bill. And my dad occasionally helps me set up the icicles. That's it. The rest is on me. haha

I just keep growing every year, thankfully I was able to start this young, so by the time I'm 40 I'll have a good collection of lights.

• 1 year later...

It's an old thread but I'd like to proudly say I'm 15 and have been programming since I was 12 years old. Have to worry about RGB this year AND my junior year of high school :(

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life. I was just getting started with LOR when this thread started. There are a lot of new members that are welcome to chime in on this thread, I'd love see more stories. I'm guessing there are more younger people starting this hobby since Kevin's Halloween video went viral.

50 here in Louisiana

the main thing is we all love holidays an any reason to decorate the house an yards and we all are kids at heart and we love to help people smile young and old :);):P:D

keep on decorating !!