Light-O-Rama Forums

How is it going newbys

MikeA

sjmiller wrote:

Hey Steve!

Good tip, my question is - if one LED goes out, does the entire string go dark? I haven't had any problems yet - just wondering if they are generally wired in series or parallel?

I have your back-up FM xmitter ready to return, I'd like a recommendation for what I should get - and from where.

Steve

Steve ;

Look here .. http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum79/22206.html

I just got the Eclipse 4000 and couldn't be more happy with the reception I get from it !

Dave

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• George Simmons

• jimswinder

• ainsworth

• sjmiller

I also have the Mobile black box ecpilse 4000 and love it. Great range, great sound and relativiely cheap.

I am always looking for something new and different for my display. I would love to have a copy of the programming for the wheel. Has anyone tried to a wheel with only 16 channels? I am going to purchase another controller but for this wheel I would need 2 I do not know if I could talk the wife into 2 units right now.

Thanks, toddmoon @ yahoo.com take the spaces out for the email.

George Simmons wrote:
I stand corrected.  Perhaps you'd be interested in authoring a primer on how to identify/repair problems with LED's that have non-replaceable lamps... I'm certain there's a bunch of us who could benefit greatly from that knowledge.  Thanks.

I have to agree with George. If there's anyone out there willing to show us how to troubleshot/repair LED strings, that would be greatly appreceated.

It gets expensive to toss a set everytime it gives me trouble. Not to mention the fact that I have to find a replacement thats the same as the one I tossed. I have a mix of half-wave and full-wave sealed and non-sealed sets 330 in all and it's geting difficult to find replacments (specifically green) that are the same color.

toddmoon wrote:

I am always looking for something new and different for my display. I would love to have a copy of the programming for the wheel. Has anyone tried to a wheel with only 16 channels? I am going to purchase another controller but for this wheel I would need 2 I do not know if I could talk the wife into 2 units right now.

Todd - Would she be okay with 1 1/2 controllers? You could get just an eight-channel board as the "second" controller and call it a half-controller. I personally haven't tried or seen a 16-channel version of a Robin Wheel, but I think it would look quite a bit different.

I just got a copy of the sequencing and watched the animation with 24 channels. I would have to agree that 16 channels would not do it justice. There is not a lot of savings with just going with a 8 channel system.

I am just going to have to convince the wife that "I need" 2 new units this year. I can always use the other 8 channels else where like more facial features for my house face. I made a Halloween version of a house face and I had tried to figure out how I could incorporate a santa face with it.

I just could not come up with a design that I liked that would work with the Halloween face. I am just going to have to build a Santa face separate from the Halloween face design. Oh, what the heck it is only time, money and the biggest thing is storage space. I have maxed out my current Christmas storage area and so I think the selling point to my wife is that I am going to have to build more storage space before she will let me add to my current displays.

Would it help your "I really need more channels" cause if your wife saw the Robin Wheel in action? If so Georges videos are here

and mine is here http://vimeo.com/10317388.

My wife doesn't really care how many channels I buy. I went from 16 to 80 channels this year. After building and testing the pole stars, Robin Wheels, and Grant Tree, I used all of my channels up. She likes them all, then asked "where are the arches?" She really likes the CCR arches, but from what I have read they are difficult to program. Maybe I'll get one at the summer sale and give it a try.

George; how are you coming with sequencing your CCRs? The end result is very nice, but are they a huge time sink? I am finding that programing 80 channels takes a lot of time compared to 16 (duh!!). I'm worried that adding CCR sequencing would really bog me down. You have a huge display, with many many channels, now you are doing sequencing for others, and you are doing CCRs. I really value your feedback.

Bruce

for me it's different. She will be nasty about the time I will spend sequencing the wheel. Posting those sequences would sure help my marriage.

ainsworth wrote:

George; how are you coming with sequencing your CCRs? The end result is very nice, but are they a huge time sink?

Hi Bruce,

Actually, I only have one CCR at this time, although I tentatively plan on adding another one during the summer sale. The sequencing is slow and tedious. Very slow and very tedious to be precise. A royal pain in the ass... easily the most time-consuming element of my display - nothing else is even close. I'd rather wipe my butt with coarse grit sandpaper than spend an afternoon trying to translate RGB values into percentages of intensity and then to have to be constantly resetting the intensity tool...

But the results are nice. (I made a video of a couple songs just using primary colors and full-on intensity settings which I'll try to get posted tonight.) I predict that whatever company develops and releases software that more easily programs the darn things is going to make a fortune. I hope it's LOR since I already know their software, but if it isn't them, no matter who it is, it will still be WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more time efficient to learn new software than to program CCRs as things are today.

If time is an issue for you, I'd definitely recommend waiting until the software catches up before taking the plunge.

George Simmons wrote:

I predict that whatever company develops and releases software that more easily programs the darn things is going to make a fortune.

Have you checked out Light Show Pro?

Check out this video about layering with RGB.

Jim,

Yes, I've seen it. I'll definitely be downloading their demo version as soon as it's released to try it out. But with around 70 sequences done in LOR software, I'd prefer it if LOR releases something so I don't have to worry about compatibility issues and such. (Although the time saved will allow me to worry about lots of things and still have plenty of hours left over.)

George Simmons wrote:

I'd prefer it if LOR releases something so I don't have to worry about compatibility issues and such.

I thought Light Show Pro is compatible with LOR...so what issues would you have?

jimswinder wrote:

I thought Light Show Pro is compatible with LOR...so what issues would you have?

I'm guessing that George has considered the very real possibility that one day Light-O-Rama may release a version of the software that is not compatible with other programs. I can understand why he'd be worried about using another program to sequence the lights.

Don wrote:

I'm guessing that George has considered the very real possibility that one day Light-O-Rama may release a version of the software that is not compatible with other programs. I can understand why he'd be worried about using another program to sequence the lights.

Yikes...that sounds so "Appleish"!!! LOL

I know you can import sequences from LOR into LSP...I wonder if you can export them to LOR.

I am going to download their trial version this evening...might be worth having since it is on sale for $89...especially if it will save me a few hours of sequencing per song.

Downloaded the Trial version of Light Show Pro....and all I can say is

WOW!!!!!!!!

LOR needs to take notice of how EASY the sequencing should / could be!!!

I guess LOR puts their time and effort to the hardware side...

I only played with it for a few minutes, but what a difference between LOR and LSP!!

Especially with setting up the visualizer!!

And yes, you can export the sequences made in LSP to LOR...but don't know why you would want or need to.

I'm sold..$89 seems like a small investment to save HOURS and HOURS of sequencing time.

We have a member on ChristmasCarolina.com that uses Light Show Pro to do his effects for his CCRs because of the sequence editor, then exports it back to LOR format and uses S2 to run the show.

I've heard a few people say there's been stability problems in LSP; I haven't used it, so I can't comment other than saying that I know several people who have used it saying that. One is using an iDMX1000 (older firmware, only a 256 channel universe) to run his DMX devices on LOR S2 because of those stabilty issues, which are hopefully in the past.

There's a frief discussion about this at http://www.christmascarolina.com/forums/showthread.php/958-Light-Show-Pro-new-features?p=5904#post5904

Hmmmm - I'd like to see a video of how the sequencing is done. I knew the the LOR sequences were going to be time intensive but WOW, are they time intensive!

Attached files 202630=11261-Capture_017.JPG