Light-O-Rama Forums

How is it going newbys

MikeA

Dont know if you will like this or not but I wanted a thread where us newbys could just post as to what we are up to right now.

I stole my dad's telescoping flag pole 3 weeks ago and installed it in my yard. This will be for my mega tree.

I told my wife that the video card was bad in our home PC and that running video off the motherboard was horrible (it isn't) so she would let me buy a Mac for the home and now our old PC is the command center for LOR.

I have a test mega tree and 4 test arches setup in the basement. I only have 1 controller to run so I cant do both at the same time...I don't think I can wait till the sumer sale.

Use this thread and let us know what you have been up to.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• George Simmons

• jimswinder

• ainsworth

• sjmiller

Just this last weekend finished welding up the parts for my Weber Tree, Mega Tree and 5 Mini Trees...

Last night started soldering my 30 CTB16PC kits that just arrived...

Still need to sequence about 15 songs, run conduit and wire for my power out in the yard, cement some "sleeves" in the yard for my trees, build a "Candy Cane" donation box for our charities, get my website up and running, build/string 12 arches, build and do some sequences for about 5 interactive buttons, build 7 "stars" for the tops of my trees, a new "Radio Sign", figure out an outdoor speaker system (as many walkups as in their cars last year)...

As soon as my LED light order from CDI arrives in about 10 days, I can then start attaching lights to all my trees and arches...

I had more I wanted to do this year...but have run out of time and resources...

WOW...a Christmas Hobby that lasts all year long!!! who would have thunk?? LOL

3 Controllers purchased and FULLY functional in my FROG (room over the garage)

8 Mini Trees 36" flower easels wrapped in full - 2 10ft arches (1 completed and tested) - Waiting on CDI's lights to arrive to finish.

17 songs about 95% completed :(

Halloween layout is also underway...8 songs, all need tweeking

Still have to wrap my 4 mini-arches. I'm way ahead of my planned schedule. I've been going strong on this since Jan 2nd. 7 days a week. Right now my work is slow so I bring the zip drive here and SEQUENCE :) ... Bring it back home @ night, load it, and watch it in the frog. I've actually got 48 channels simulated to how the outside will look. If you walk or drive by my home @ night, the reflective glow coming from upstairs is amazing. I've had neighbors galore ask me "what in the hell im up to at night?" ... I just chuckle and say "you'll see soon enough" ... I've only showed the setup to my best buddy. Everyone else will remain in the dark and clueless. The best comment so far was "are you guys having a disco drug party up there" LOL

pokrplr wrote:

OK. I got the R and the O and the G. What's the F stand for?? :shock:

Cray

jimswinder wrote:

Last night started soldering my 30 CTB16PC kits that just arrived...

Wow, $4,500 dollars and 100 hours of assembly later and you are ready to go. I will show this to my wife so she will stop calling me crazy with my piddly 4 controllers and 2 CCR's. :(

I have 4 songs out of 10 sequenced so far and I am slowing down. Once my lights from CDI arrive then I will get motivated again for a little while. I have three controllers soldered and tested and one left to solder.

Around August or so I will assemble the mega tree and CCR arches in the back yard and possibly put out my mini trees also. Then play the sequences and probably show my best friend to see what he thinks. I am sure that is when my motivation will really ramp up.

I would like to integrate at least one controller into my Halloween display but I have not thought much about that yet. I will probably wait until the stores start stocking Halloween lights and props in September/October and then do one sequence for that as sort of a trial and warm up to my holiday mega show.

ryebred wrote:

Wow, $4,500 dollars and 100 hours of assembly later and you are ready to go.

yeah...I WISH it was that little... (including the CDI LED light order)...

Oh well...can't take it with you,

but hopefully I'll be able to see it from "up there"... lol

Just finished my third sequence. I only have 48 channels but might expand next year. Don't have a really big yard so I will have to see what I can do. This is my inaugural
year so when it is set up and changed a dozen times I will have a better idea what I will next year. So far I am planning 3 arches, 5 mini trees one mega tree (10 foot) and numerous lights on the roof eves, and porch railing. Oh I almost forgot. I will have some Alvin and the Chipmunk animated lights on coro that will be on a show on alternate nights.
Terry

Cray Augsburg wrote:

pokrplr wrote:

OK. I got the R and the O and the G. What's the F stand for?? :shock:

Cray

I was told it meant "Finished" ... Guess it depends on which part of the country you live? Some people call it the "Family" ROG :?

pokrplr wrote:

I was told it meant "Finished" ... Guess it depends on which part of the country you live? Some people call it the "Family" ROG :?

I haven't heard the reference before. I'm familiar with the "Bonus" room, but never heard of a FROG before. You know, we here in Kentucky are a little behind the times (least-wise, that's all we'll ever let on . . . ) :(

Cray

ryebred wrote:

Wow, $4,500 dollars and 100 hours of assembly later and you are ready to go.

Don't forget the between 1,020 and 1,620 connectors that have to be crimped onto the ends of dangles and power cords. Being a showoff is hard work and long hours.

Great idea to start a 2010 noobs thread! Welcome to the addiction of holiday lighting! I'm a noob + 3 years, one year with another vendor - 2nd year with LOR.

One thing you can be sure about - this thread will be monitored by noobs and gurus alike and every question asked will have good replies.

Steve

I have expanded from 16 to 80 channels. I decided to build a grant tree instead of a weber tree. With it's square cross section it was much easier for me to build. I have tested it and while I'm not completely satisfied with my result, it will do the job. I have already redone the star using light clips so I get a much cleaner looking star. I think I will end up reducing the number of light raps from 2 to 1 1/2, but not sure. I really need to expand from 11 channels to 17 on the tree, but I don't have them this year.

http://vimeo.com/8960201

I have finished 2 robin wheels. Hands down these are my favorite element! I just can't believe how many patterns you can create with the wheels (George was a huge inspiration here). I am driving them together this year, again I just don't have enough channels! I ended up with 2 because the first one I built was just too big for the area I wanted to put it in. So I have 1 using 3/4" pipe and 1 using 1 1/2". I have tested the smaller one in the house (the 3/4" was too tall to stand up inside). I love the robin wheel! I have no idea how many hours I have spent sequencing patterns for it. This video only shows a small percentage of the patterns I have so far.

The last 2 elements I have completed are pole stars. I got this idea from Joe Noe. Mine are no where near as big or as fancy as Joe's. I am roof mounting mine so I had to restrict the height. I'm testing the roof mount system now (in South Texas we have strong winds so I felt the need to test them early just in case). I have not taken a video of them yet, but I will soon.

I hope I have given credit to all those that have inspired me; if I left anyone out thank you also. It seems the more I build and test, the more I want. I would love to have arches using CCR among other things.

Sequence on!

Bruce

Nice work Bruce.  I like your two-color approach to the Robin Wheel - might have to try that myself.  They sure are a lot of fun to work with, aren't they?  I got a lot of positive feedback on mine last year.  Good luck!

Hey Bruce...

EXCELLENT job on your sequencing of both your "Grant" tree and the wheel...

Look forward to seeing your sequencing on your whole yard!!

jimswinder wrote:

Hey George...

saving that for when you get back from vacation...how was the Park?

Hi Jim,

From Arches and Grand Canyon to Sequoia and Death Valley they all were great! We picked a perfect week to go - all National parks had free admission last week. Sharon loved it - she's a Minnesota girl and after this the old homestead won't look quite the same anymore. And the Freemont Street light show in Vegas is not to be missed - talk about the world's biggest CCR... unbelievable!

Hi Bruce,

How long is each spoke on the robin wheel? Is it PVC? I would love to see a few pictures of it in the daylight. I am really impressed.

Rick

Guest Don Gillespie

cool thread, just to let you know what I am planning for this year up here in Canada

firstly I am building some boxes that will house my controllers they are going to have lights on the front that will blend into my show that way nobody will have a clue as to what is inside them and want to walk off with them, if I had thought about this last year I wouldn't have had to put holes in my siding my electrician is coming in another couple of weeks we have to install 12 more 30 amp recepticles for the yard wife is really impressed with this LOL she will get over it, don't have the heart to tell her that her rose bush has go, after that just programing more sequences can't even begin to say how much I appreciate everyones help in that deparment, heres hoping everyones show goes without a hitch and looks great too

:):D

Thank you Rick. If you search "Robin Wheel" you can get additional info.

There are 8 "arms", each is 1 1/2" pvc schedule 40 and they are 27" long. The length was dictated by my use of 100 light incandescent strings(3 strings per arm). I used 2 cross connectors bolted together to make the wheel. Each wheel uses 24 channels. I also used Georges suggestion of folding the strings in half before wrapping them. That way if I lose one 50 bulb string I don't get a dead area.

I hope that helps you. Like I said the wheels are my favorite element this year!

wheelhub.jpg