Light-O-Rama Forums

2001 Space Odyssey Seq

Bob Wingert

Is anyone willing to share this sequence? (2001 space odyssey) ...I've seen it done a few times w/ LOR, great looking... I've been trying to duplicate it, got so frustrated with it this week, I deleted it :( UGH

Seen it on these free sequencing sites but its mainly for Aurora. Help if anyone knows how I can a hold of it

For your information, the name of that music is "The introduction fanfare 'Sunrise' from Also sprach Zarathustra by Richard Strauss" (1896).

("Also sprach Zarathustra" is German for "Thus Spoke Zoroaster", which is Strauss' musical interpretation of a German philosophical novel of the same name, which contains many criticisms of Christianity. Don't worry about using it in a Christmas Light display; no ordinary person will make the connection.)

This bit of useless trivia brought to you by Wikipedia.

In fact here is Georges video of his 2001 sequence on Vimeo...

not the original score from the movie 2001...but I thought he had that.
I might be mistaken.

Steven wrote:

For your information, the name of that music is "The introduction fanfare 'Sunrise' from Also sprach Zarathustra by Richard Strauss" (1896).

("Also sprach Zarathustra" is German for "Thus Spoke Zoroaster", which is Strauss' musical interpretation of a German philosophical novel of the same name, which contains many criticisms of Christianity. Don't worry about using it in a Christmas Light display; no ordinary person will make the connection.)

This bit of useless trivia brought to you by Wikipedia.

Wow! All this, and education, too! :P

Strauss' "Also sprach Zarathustra" is also a very popular warm-up routine for marching bands and drum-and-bugle (DCI) corps. Something about how the sheer volume level can peel the paint from the stands.

Cray

2001: A space Odyssey also had "The Blue Danube":

The Blue Danube is the common English title of An der schönen blauen Donau a waltz by Johann Strauss II, composed in 1866. Originally performed 13 February 1867 at a concert of the Wiener Männergesangsverein (Vienna Men's Choral Association),

The Philharmonic 2001/nutrocker is a very different song and more to my liking. The movie version has a lot of dead air and is very hard to sequence.

Here is my Philharmonic. I only like the opening and I did it myself!
PM me if you want to bribe me for the sequence.

http://itsmebob.com/Christmas/2009/BobO20092001Nutrocker.wmv

It all takes me back to my days in the youth orchestra. Learning and performing the Artist's Life waltz (Künstlerleben, opus 316). Composed by Johann Strauss in 1867, it was considered a "twin" of The Blue Danube, partially due to its performance on the heels (3 days post) of success of The Blue Danube, but also because of their combined effects on the mood of the people of Austria following a major defeat the year before at the Battle of Königgrätz.

The interplay between the brass, string and wind sections is a highlight of the piece. I can still remember parts of the horn music . . .

Cray

jimswinder wrote:

In fact here is Georges video of his 2001 sequence on Vimeo...

http://vimeo.com/8249198

not the original score from the movie 2001...but I thought he had that.
I might be mistaken.

Thanks for the plug Jim, but that's the only version I've done. Personally, I think 2001 in itself would be way too boring to even try to sequence. But this version distills out everything of 2001 that's good while not putting people to sleep. As Bob noted, it's by Philharmonic and is probably available through most online music services. I got my copy from Napster.

IMHO, it's a really great song for opening the show. I opened with a welcome announcement and then went directly into it. I used the 2001 beginning of the song to incrementally light up the yard, which allowed me to do a quick channel check while "showing the colors" so to speak. Then when it morphs into Nutrock, I used that part of the song to give each element of the display (mini trees, mega tee, arches, poles, etc.) a chance to "strut their stuff" so to speak. It blew people away.

• 1 month later...

Hi George,

I would be interested in buying your 2009 Intro sequence - just the way you have it - I will cut and paste into my layout.

Awesome looking show,

let me know,

thanks,

Louis

The one that george has is from "Switched on Classics by Philharmonic" Found it on rhapsody